Heavy/Scratch: Optimus Prime Head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Boggs6ft7, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

This isn't really art, but this seemed like the best place to post these pictures. This is an Optimus Prime helmet I worked on two years ago for Halloween. I only got the head done so I went as Optimus Prime - In a Hawaiian shirt. I did match colors though using a red hawaiian shirt.

The head is actually a blown up version the the 20th Anniv Prime. I took calipers and made measurements off of prime's head, then scaled them up to my size in autocad. (All those years of engineer school had to be used for something) You can see the toy in one of the pictures to give you an idea of how big it is. If it seems really big, well its because I'm a big guy. About 6'7" and I needed it to fit my head.

The head itself if all styrene and PVC, no cardboard. My friends have been on me to make the rest of him, but I don't have the motivation right now, this took enough of my time as it is. I would like to go back and add more detail, but for now I'm happy it sits on top of my desk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

It looks really good, it's nice! :D 

Do you have pics of the Hawaian shirt? :D :D :D 

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man that's awesome, and huge! Any pics of you wearing it?

4. Boggs6ft7

Yeah, there is one of me standing next to my wife. She went as Wonder Woman (I'm sure most fanboys on here would rather see the picture of her as WW)

I'll try to find them and scan them in.

Thanks for the compliments by the way.

5. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Wow...that mask has only one flaw; that I don't own it....but could you elborate on this styrene and PVC you used? I ALWAYS wanted to make a Prime mask, and although it'll never turn out like yours, I think it'd make a good pass time since I sit on my ass too much.

But anyways, a few questions...

1. How much is styrene and PVC?
    2. is it easy to work with? Do you just cut the pieces like cardboard, or do you need really special tools to like, sculpt it or somethin?
    3. Where do you get styrene and PVC? Canadian Tire, Wal Mart, Home Depot, art stores, hobbie stores?
    4. What kinda paint did you use on it, and did you use any sealers?
    5. How much, in total, did it cost to make?
    6. And how long did it take to make?
    I'm sorry, but that mask's kickass, and if I'm going to make a Prime mask, I need to learn from the professionals (them being you!), and yeah, let's see some pics of you in that mask :D 

6. Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl Well-Known Member

That is just awsome. Now you just need a tall buddy with a Megatron mask and :duel 

7. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    DAMN!!! Now, turn that into a motorcycle helmet design! :-D

That apparently took you a lot of time, and effort, to make that and I commend you for your hard work and effort. Very nice. Even with such a large scale, it is highly detailed. The only way you could make it MORE detailed is to add paint applications or other small details, but don't sweat such details. Just leave that "sculpture" alone.

Now, when are you going to do the rest of the costume? Wear it to a convention, and walk away with first place in the costume contest, guaranteed.

8. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Nicely constructed.

9. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I just so happen to have an eight foot tall chloroplast optimus prime costume without a helmet.

Seriously.

There has got to be some way to get these two together.

10. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    :rock  YAY ENGINEERING SCHOOL!!!! GO MOUNTAIN HAWKS (formerly the Engineers)!!!! :rock 

11. Boggs6ft7

1. For thin styrene (0.060) you'll spend about $17 for an 8x4 sheet. This is too thin for structure, but you could use it for details. For thicker PVC (which I prefer to work with) 0.125 and higher, you'll spend upwards of 40-50 bucks for a 4x8 sheet. I lucked out and found a local sign/display maker that had scrap he would sell me cheap.

2. The really thin stuff you could probably cut with tin snips. I mainly used a table and band saw for cutting and a belt sander for shaping (I would have killed to have a stationary disc sander). I find it easy to work with, but thats just me. I used regular PVC cement to do the gluing. Be careful using that stuff on styrene because it tends to melt it a bit too much. The only styrene on the head is the curved part in the front, the rest is PVC

3. You can get Styrene from hobby stores, although for something like this I wouldn't recommend it. Their prices are way too high for just a little styrene. Look up in your phone book for an industrial plastics dealer. They will give you a much better price. Home Depot on carries plexiglass which is what I made my first optimus head out of. Don't use it, its hard to work with and hard to glue.

4. I used a metallic blue spray paint and silver spray paint. I didn't use primers, however, I did use Bondo to seal holes and make areas smooth where the PVC didn't glue well. If you have never used Bondo before, for the love of God use it in an open area, it is nasty nasty stuff, but works great. The eyes are some metallic blue safety goggles that I popped the lenses out of and cut to fit.

5. It probably cost me about 80-100 to build. I should have kept track of that stuff. Depends on how fancy you want to go.

6. With design and fabrication there is about 30-40 hours of work into it. Keep in mind I didn't go into my barn and just start cutting plastic. This is the part some of you might find cool or weird. I made a full cast of my head before I made the mask. This was my first body casting I ever did of my head, and well, it turned out pretty crappy..... however, I now had the basic shape of my head and was able to put the mask on that head and see how it looked. Works better than standing ni front of a mirror. I took calipers and made as many measurements as I could off the 20th anniv prime and then fed those measurements into AutoCAD. From there I was able to print out 1:1 patterns for the parts. Yeah its a lot of work, but I didn't want it to turn out like crap.

I hope that answers your questions.

One unfinished feature on the mask is the mouth guard thingy. Its loose so that it can move up and down, the idea was that I would spring load it so that it moved as I talked. I never got around to spring loading it, but I can move it up to enjoy a beer.

It is also very heavy, 6 or 7 pounds. Now that may seem light, but having it on your head for several hours is killer.

A friend and I were going to finish the prime costume and then make a Soundwave costume that played music. We were going to go to a big halloween party and I would hit 'play' on soundwave and breakdance.

Given the positive feedback from you guys, I might start sooner than later. I'll probably make the gun next since that is the last part I had begun taking measurements of.

Again, thanks for all the positive comments.

12. Paper Mariowned

Woah man, I owe you one, that was a damn detailed description! Sounds like a LOT of work...I prolly don't have to tools for it either (or the skills. I failed the AutoCAD part of my business class in Grade 9...just couldn't get into it)....but I'll still attempt it, it seems like it'd be fun. I spent 9 hours on a Burger King mask, and it is by no means...that good. It's kinda cruddy, and weighs just as muc has your mask, yet 1/3 the size.

But thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it a lot!

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Man, if you're going to make the gun, you've GOT to build it around an air rifle, BB gun, or paintball gun so it actually fires!

I love the work you did on the helmet, keep it up!

14. Boggs6ft7

As promised, here is the picture of me wearing it. You can't really tell from the picture, but I'm 6'7" and my wife (dressed as Wonder Woman) is 6'3"

[​IMG]

I also started taking measurements on the gun, and it looks like the gun will be over four feet long when I'm done if I make it to the same scale as the head.

15. PrivateRandom

PrivateRandom Ruthless,cunning and sexy

Now thats an awesome halloween outfit!

Good work!

16. Paper Mariowned

Man, that mask is the PERFECT size. Can't wait to see the gun, either.

17. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

I think the best part of the whole costume is the Guinness shirt. I can just see Prime now, a pint in hand raised in salute, and... "BRILLIANT!"

18. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    And to make it even funnier, Autobot X, but Boggs6ft7 actually built in a flap under the mouthpiece so he COULD drink! I don't drink alcohol, but that was a smart move to build that in.

19. Primal84

Primal84 Well-Known Member

Bwahahahaahahahahaha.....cool costume!

20. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    AWESOME! Very nice! :rock