Optimus Prime: Has he become too iconic?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Maniaxe, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Maniaxe

Maniaxe Well-Known Member

This is just a feeling I've had recently. Does anyone else occassionally feel that Optimus has become too Iconic a character? That in some ways he and his reputation are holding things back?

It feels like the people at Hasbro and Takara literally cannot think of making a TF series without him front and center, And that kind of upsets me. In a way he almost feels like a safety net for them. That whenever it's time for a new TF series the writers (at least the ones in Japan) basically just say "Let's make Optimus the leader, and give them a quest to find such-and-such." Optimus works as a hero almost too well in these series, which is why I liked Rodimus Prime so much, he wasn't a perfect hero, and was frequently unsure of his ability to lead. Watching him grow into a real leader would have been interesting (though the writers dropped the ball there too).

Maybe it's just me. I'm not saying I dislike Prime, no way! He's a great character (and the recent Animated one is probably the best so far). Maybe it's me, and I'm just a little sick of Optimus Prime.

What do you guys think?

2. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Relax, he's bound to die again soon enough. And then come back, then die, then come back, then die, then I think you get the point

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    We've had a few series' where Optimus Prime was not the leader.

As you already mentioned, season 3 of G1 had Rodimus.
    There were other Japanese series' after G1 with other leaders.
    Beast Wars and Beast Machines had Primal.
    Beast Wars II and Neo had Lio Convoy and Big Convoy and such.
    Animated, while it is Optimus Prime, he is quite different from the Prime of old.

That said, I wouldn't mind having a series that the leader did not have an Optimus or a Prime or a Convoy in his name.

4. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Hey,
    Yeah,I'd have to agree with you to an extent.They have reprinted the hell outta G1 Prime toys making the original worth next to shit.I remember back in 01 when you could not touch a complete mib Prime for under $250.00 as for series goes.....I'd like to see all the stuff before Prime and alot of side series with diferant bots scattered across the galaxy.Anyone remember Def-con?

One thing you forgot to mention alot of new series have Megatron and then Galvatron.We always expect to see those re-paints lol.

5. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    But you can't have Transformers without Optimus Prime! He's practically the face of the franchise!:tongue: 

Animated has quite a different perspective on the character, and change isn't always bad, but I say don't fix what isn't broken.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I blame the Japanese for that.

At least G1 Megatron-Galvatron was more than a bleaching job. RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron are all guilty of it (yeah I know it wasn't exactly Megatron-Galvatron in the Japanese continuity, but the idea is there).

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Out of curiosity, do you feel characters like Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and Luke Skywalker have become too iconic?

Optimus Prime is a favorite character of a very significant part of the fandom. Its only natural to keep him in the transformers mythos, or even to use him as a sort of continuity point, to tie the brand together and give it real "Transformers" feel.

Maybe the bigger problem is, as you said, his characterization has become too iconic or at least repetitive. I mean, some authors have tried to make different optimuses (animated, war within, etc.), but maybe you're right. Maybe they should do like they did in the comics and take him out of the picture for a while.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, I kinda feel the same way, but I don't see it as a bad thing, per-se. But I do realize he is kinda a spotlight whore.

To be honest, it's not really the same thing with the first three. Optimus isn't the main character for which the entire franchise is based, just one of the more significant ones. Though It's interesting to see you mentioned Luke Skywalker, (though I assume you mean just Skywalkers in general) as Star wars is almost the same thing, but not.

Transformers always gets rebooted and almost always has a new Optimus every year in which he still isn't THE main character, but rather A main character, so it's tough to compare to other stuff.

9. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Uh, I think TFA has done a good job of keeping Prime NOT as the center of attention. And he wasn't really the main-bot in the movie either.

He does always fill a specific roll. But can you imagine anyone else leading the Autobots while Prime is alive?

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Well spoken. I don't think it's a bad thing that Optimus has risen to become the iconic face of Transformers now, if anything, he's one of Hasbro's great achievements in creating a character with such well-recognised and respected status.

I have wondered sometimes what it might be like if they were to ever try and introduce a completely new and original Autobot leader character, but i realistically think it would never be as resoundlingly accepted as the iconic name and image of Optimus Prime. At this stage, it would feel odd if he was absent from the position of leader of the Autobots in any new series.

I'm not tired yet of Optimus Prime myself. I think there's a reason why his iconic greatness has only strengthened in the years since his first untimely demise. Maybe he's come to symbolise important values or is just a larger-than-life role model, but to this day, this fictional icon still has an unforgettable place in many old and young minds.

I think Hasbro is aware of the need to not just spew out the same kind of Optimus Prime character year after year tho'. Refreshing a character image is important to keep it interesting and modern, but at the same time you don't want to get rid of the core qualities that made the character so well-loved to start with. Hasbro has a difficult and delicate task of trying to create new Optimus Primes for new ages whilst paying sufficent homage to the original.

11. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

In a Justice league kind of way he is... He is the JL/Autobots Superman AND Batman all in one.

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers without Optimus Prime?

[​IMG]

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Fact is, people want Prime/Convoy. When he isn't there (G1 season 3 & Alternators off the top of my head), people clamor for him. He may not be everyone's favorite, but you can't deny that Optimus is the rock on which the Transformers franchise has built itself around.

Do I think he's become too iconic? No. And frankly, I don't think there is such a thing as becoming too iconic. He's iconic, to the brand and the mythos. And I find nothing wrong with that.

14. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    "Reprinted"?! :confused: 

Anyway, he's never too iconic.

NEVER. XD

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No.

16. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Yes there is.
    To the point where he is either a boring leader(see A/E/C), or where he gets a whole lot of unnecessary hate for not being a boring leader(see Animated).

Yes, I for one am sick to death of Optimus. I'm sick of getting a billion new Optimus toys every time there is a new series, Animated alone has seven bloody molds, and they all look the same(except for Cyber Slammer)!

SEVEN!
    Make a new bloody character to head your toyline already!
    But don't kill of Prime rapidly, like the movie, you have to phase him out slowly, or people start complaining incessantly.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

Optimus Prime is a TFs legend, he has been a fan favorite since the beginning of the franchise. I don't see the problem with him being an icon, he's earned it for remaining so popular with the fans all these years.

You know what I'm sick of? Almost every form of Megatron being rebooted into Galvatron.
    It was amazing to watch Megatron in the original movie become Galvatron. Nobody saw it coming, and it fit the story. Now the idea has become so overdone and painfully predictable.

18. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

Without Optimus Prime there would be no Transformers

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I want another Rodimus :D 

20. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not even a little bit.

The lating power of the Transformers brand is in a very large part due to the recognition of the "Optimus Prime" name and character.

TF:A is a perfect example of giving us a Prime that's fresh and different personality, yet at the same time instantly recognizable as an Optimus Prime.