Minor/Repaint: Optimus Prime G1

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by lechuckgl, Dec 11, 2011.

1. lechuckgl

lechuckgl Active Member

First of all: hi ! I'm new to the forums. I've like to introduce my first repaint: Takara Optimus Prime G1 Deluxe. I made the Autobots logo decal printing in normal paper, then covering if in several layers of clear nail polish and gluing it to the shoulder. An extra layer of nail polish was added after that to ensure that it will stick in place.

Hope you like it !

Attached Files:

2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Weclome to deh boards!!!

I am Dinodigger97....and about your custom....I hear say:"THAT IS COOL!!! :thumb "

3. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    nice to see that im not the only who likes this mold, and good job on the paint
    i just suggest you to put some more detail, and to be precise use masking tape, that way it wont be too difficult
    XP

4. lechuckgl

lechuckgl Active Member

Thanks both of you for the comments !

I was out of masking tape, so I used bi-drectional Scotch tape...but it was not as adhesive as I needed. I figure I could still repaint those little areas properly....

As for details: yeah, I should buy some yellow paint for the tail lights (or "toe lights" :p ) and the "belt".

The gun looks better than the dark violet blue+black+gray original combination, but I'm still not conviced on the final result. Any advice on how to fix it ?

f-primusunicron: I wouldn't say I am a fan of that mold, but is very G1-ish and I like it. I bought it because it was cheap and with free shipping on ebay.

Now I thinking on my next figure....I know there is a cheap Starscream with an alternative color scheme, maybe I'll give it a try.

5. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    the mold its not perfect but i think it deserves more love
    i think the main issue the figre has is the legs, they dont collapse in vehicle mode, i've seen here some good customs where they fixed that, and looks actually really good
    and about the gun, why not making it all black and then some white details?

6. Dez7734

Dez7734 Well-Known Member

The main problem I have is I hate that head mold... it's goofy. And I hate the knees too. (not your custom, just the mold in general)

7. f-primusunicron

News Credits:
    maybe he can cut the top part of the knees, and the just paint them, and about the head, i think its ok
    ¬¬ the g1 wasnt the best either, at least this one has articulation and proportion and doesnt sucks

8. lechuckgl

lechuckgl Active Member

Yeah, at first I wanted to mod the legs as well...but when I found out that the guy who did the mod used another figure, I decided that it was too expensive: import a figure, pay shipping and taxes, just to use it's legs ? Too much cash, and I am saving for my Optimus Masterpice :)