Optimus Prime figure-recomendation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by arosenbarger, Nov 14, 2011.

1. arosenbarger

arosenbarger Member

Hi,

I'm New to the board and would love your educated opinions.

I am looking for an Optimus Prime figure to put into my studio for inspiration. I am ignorant of the toys beyond Generation One, and would love your recommendation regarding which Prime figures are unique to you.

My criteria:
    1. It will not be in a box ultimately. I am not interested in keeping it as a collectable. This will be an alter of awesome in my art studio. I'm ok with buying used.
    2. Must transform. Not a statue.
    3. Max budget is $100. If someone owns one and loves abstract art, please contact me, and we can talk deal.
    4. The axe and matrix would be a great bonus.
    5. The figure has to resemble G1 Optimus, not the movie, please.

Again, looking for your recommendations based of those criteria. Thank you for your help. Take care.

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I would suggest Henkei or Classics Optimus Prime for that price range. Great figure, great update, FansProject makes a great Trailer for it as well. No axe or matrix unfortunately.

If you have more cash, Masterpiece Optimus is better.

3. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

igear Faith Leader would fit your criteria nicely i suppose?

[​IMG]

Hmm i don't know if he costs more than 100 bucks or not, or even if he's still avaiable though.

4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Maybe the hybrid style convoy. It smaller but includes trailer,axe,gun,matrix,roller, and side swipes jetpack with a possing stand. You can find them for around $50.

5. Irish Carnage

Irish Carnage Instrument of Destruction

News Credits:
    you could probably go with cybertron optimus too. he's huge, he's the optimus i use in my collection.

6. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

Maybe yo should wait and see if the new mp optimus comes to the U.S.

7. arosenbarger

arosenbarger Member

Newbie question, what's the MP Optimus? Masterpiece?

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Correct.

9. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I'd wait for the new masterpiece to be released in the US if I were you. it's 100% G1 :) 
    Classics voyager optimus prime is awesome though.

10. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will suggest getting Book Reissue TFC 0 Optimus Prime

11. arosenbarger

arosenbarger Member

Stepper, what's TF0 series?

Sincere thanks for the recommendations. It helps. Beforehand I was much more overwelmed.

When will the masterpiece edition become avail in the US? I'm guessing online or comics shops for purchase?

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There has already been masterpiece prime releases in the past. The newest mold of the figure, MP-10, does not have a US confirmed release yet, but it's highly likely.

Would probably be in the next year or so, and probably a toys r us exclusive.

For $100 your options are:

1) US Anniversary MP Prime DVD edition - uses the original MP prime mold, just includes Prime, no trailer. Might still be able to find a seller around at around $100.

2) Igear Faith Leader - a 3rd party figure, it is a smaller scale version of the original MP Prime. Probably 80-100.

3) Classics Optimus Prime - a voyager sized figure, done as a modern stying G1 prime. Very posable, articulated figure, should run about $50.

Or wait for a release of the new MP-10 mold to come stateside. MP-10 is supposedly the most accurate G1 representation of Prime, and if it comes stateside without a trailer it will be under $100 as well.

13. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Unless prices have fallen off sharp since the last i looked, getting a good example for under $100 is pretty unlikely.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Several Masterpiece Optimus' have been released, including two retail releases stateside. I'd check the items for sale or trade forum. Chances are decent somebody will have one of the two US releases there.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    TF Collection 0 was a re-release of the original G1 Prime in a really nice white gift box along with file card, album etc. unfortunately I don't think its that nice when you take the figure out of the box :p  It's also more expensive than other G1-reissues.

The new MP still has no release date, but is likely a few months away. My suggestion would be to wait for this one if you have enough patience, as it is currently considered by many to be the best interpretation of G1 Prime yet :p 

Of course if you are in a hurry, get the Henkei Convoy. It's really a great update to the original G1 Prime, but has no trailer or matrix. You'll have to go through the 3rd party makers for those.

16. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you want one that resembles G1 Prime for under $100, you really have only a couple options.

1. iGear's Faith Leader - which I believe will be offered for well under $100 now, because of MP-10.

2. MP-10, IF they release it in the US without a trailer. Then it'll probably be around $70. Otherwise, you're looking at $250 for the Japanese version, and we still don't know if it'll actually be coming to the US.

17. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

If you get one Prime, it should be this:

Takara ROTF Leader Class Buster Optimus Prime

PS: if you go over your budget, it is WELL worth it... :) 

Attached Files:

18. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :thumbs2: 

19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    It depends if you want original Hasbro / Takara or if you want a 3rd Party Company.

1- You can get the Hasbro 25th Anniversary Masterpiece Optimus Prime on Ebay for around $100 MISB if you get lucky. If not loose. I would also look on the B/S/T section on this site, you may luck out as well. I find this time of the year people are selling stuff at good prices.

2- You can get the iGear Faith Leader. It is an exact copy of the Takara/Hasbro MP Optimus Prime, but it is smaller and is made strictly of plastic, no Diecast as in the original. Still a great figure

3- Wait a couple of months. MP11 was released by Takara, so it maybe sometime early next year that we see it here in the states released by Hasbro.

20. Ironhidebot

Ironhidebot Wrecker

i'd probably have to agree that either the classics optimus or the THS convoy would be your best choice, although the hybrid-style convoy is a little bit on the smaller side, he has a lot of accesories, and is very poseable