Optimus Prime drives slow...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This^

It really doesn't make any sense to blame his alt mode for being slow when Brawlastator was a tank and made it just behind the Autobot cars. Tanks aren't significantly faster than a trailerless big rig any day of the week.

2. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    In the real world, it was just to save his debut in the final battle as a more epic, "Aw shit it just got real" kind of thing. No idea where he was... but the whole epic traffic issue Bonecrusher caused may have played a part in it.

Optimus was giving Sentinel a tour of Earth that simply culminated in a quiet, beautiful sunset in (presumably) Africa. He just let Sentinel take the lead to let his new arrival see what he wanted to see of Earth.

As for the ten minutes back thing, I dunno. No doubt, he got slowed down by the mayhem from the Dreads' highway battle. Maybe Sentinel even told him, "Wait 10 minutes to help 'cover the rear'" or something like that, so that way Sentinel bought more time to attack NEST and take the Pillars.

Also, Split Lip on the previous page: /thread.

3. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ..He's a 1993 379...

not that classic, just from the generation of semi's before they all looked like bars of soap.

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Except there's no point in claiming that Brawlastator had to be faster to get there first...we have no idea where he departed from and can only assume it must have been closer to Mission City than Optimus was.

Very good point!

With Optimus theoretically ten minutes behind them on the exact same stretch of the D.C. Parkway, Optimus encountering and maneuvering around the wreckage caused by the Dreads is alone enough to account for his delay in arriving at NEST HQ.

So obvious, I love it!

:) 

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    He's a truck, what did you think?

6. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
    Someone's gotta clean giant ass dead robots

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Actually, we don't need to know where he departed from. Before Prime and Bonecrusher fight, there is a scene with him and Brawlastator following Barricade down that same highway. He was right there. Not far behind the Autobots, and gets to Mission City right behind them. He kept up.

8. Biotoakid

Biotoakid Whew what an old username

News Credits:
    Maybe he just topped off the tank. Prime needs a shit ton of gas

9. Jazzfan0217

Jazzfan0217 Resident couch potato

"Mack? I ain't no Mack I'm a Peterbuilt for dangs sake, turn on your lights ya moron." :lol  (quoted from the first cars movie)

Could anyone else see Optimus saying something like this? I know it would work better for Ironhide but still...funny right?

10. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I actually thought I remembered that too so I checked on YT first before making that post since I couldn't just pop in my DVD at present. I didn't see Brawlastator there anywhere, but I'll admit it's not exactly HD:

Was it in a shot before this clip or can you point him out in it?

Because otherwise I think we were just confusing split-second shots of vehicles moving in the background and misremembering the scene, which was why I checked in the first place.

11. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    It was before this scene.

Screen cap here:

[​IMG]

12. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Do you guys really think Optimus is old? He's always seemed mid-thirties to me. Maybe he just drives slow because Earth road laws/roads in general confuse him and he doesn't want to run anyone over with a few tons of giant origami robot.
    Heh heh...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Haha, well...there we go.

Thanks, random german youtuber!

But still.

The M1 Abrams gets up to about 45 mph and Optimus still had to fight Barricade or else at the very least either climb back up to the top highway tier or find another route before rejoining the chase, and THEN he still had to find the heart of the battle in an urban area they specifically chose to help mask energy signatures.

So I think it's okay to allow a little delay for those conditions, whereas Brawlastator was able to just keep casually chugging along at top speed on the same road all the while.

14. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yeah, but even after fighting Barricade ( an even quicker fight than Bonecrusher ), a big rig can run 100 MPH and still get there much sooner than Prime did. He had to have just mosied along sniffing the roses.

15. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

TF1 he was asking for directions to get back on the freeway like a tourist.

DOTM he was simply getting payback for the forest fight when none of the autobots showed up to help until he was already stabbed in the back & left for dead.

And this screen cap has me wondering why there isn't a leader class Bonecrusher?

16. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was about to quote that. Good thing I read the rest of the thread before posting. First thing I thought of when somebody said Optimus was a Mack truck.:) 

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    *said in Charlie Adler's Starscream voice* "I just love it when fans aren't morons. and use. LOGIC!" (a la you, Chopperface)

Seriously. Chopperface just summed up my thoughts and pretty much the logical answers here.

Eh, personally, based on his implied experience and aged-ness in his voice, my guess was always that Bayformers Optimus was 50-55 (in the equivalent human age). Not "old", but not a spring chicken either. You know, sort of like Gibbs from NCIS.

18. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

Brawl was with Barricade and Bonecrusher when the Decepticons were first shown moving in, around the time Starscream arrived at the dam and started blowing up the generators.

But by the time Barricade and Bonecrusher were behind the Autobots, Brawl was gone. Presumably he took a different route to the city.

And Optimus sounds older because Peter Cullen is older. It has been nearly 30 years since G1 first came out. He sounded mid 30s in G1 because that's how old Cullen was back then.

Whether or not that's supposed to mean Optimus is meant to be seen as older or it's just the consequence of having someone reprise a role decades later and you just need to ignore it, isn't quite clear though.

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    You're not accounting for traffic conditions, especially when the military could've been closing off roads in and out of Mission City once the fighting started.

20. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

Decepticons aren't well known for their respect of human culture. Perhaps he just Transformed to robot mode and ran?