Optimus Prime - does size matter?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My question is a simple one. Do you like having Optimus Prime (and Megatron) figures for the past few toylines being Leader class? Or do you prefer him to be more in-scale with his fellow Autobots.

I ask this because when I look back at the past few Prime figures, it's obvious that he's far bigger than everyone else in the line (bar the Supreme figures) and I just sort of found this unfair - it makes him, and Megatron look like they're the only ones who pose a real threat to one another. I've always felt, especially after reading TWW that Prime shouldn't really be that different from the other Autobots. Picked by the matrix at random to be the Autobot leader - having him as being some sort of giant compared to the other Autobots always made me feel that Prime was unfairly big.

I know, of course that this is a move by Hasbro/Takara cause a Prime figure can pull in more than some other character at the Leader class price point. All i'm really saying is, I like it when Prime is around the same size (obviously being a truck he'll be a bit bigger than a car) as his fellow Autobots, not some sort of towering giant. I'm glad to see that with Animated that he'll be down to a voyager size - even though i'm not collecting that line it's nice to see that we will (hopefully) get a few figures that're larger than Prime.

When you think about it, Armada Prime was nearly as tall as Unicron - and then you put his other troops around him and he completely towers over them, and Megatron. To me it just seemed crap that Prime was so oversized.

So to sum it up. Do you like like your Prime's big, or average?

2. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I prefer them smaller, then they are cheaper too :) 

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    *Looks at Classics Voyager Prime and Megs*

That's the perfect size for the leaders right there. :thumb 

4. moocow

moocow God.

Agreed.

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

The bigger the better. They are the leaders and should be bigger. IMO. Besides, if they stopped making them bigger all future primes would look silly on the shelf next to the others.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'd prefer Ultra Class since Prime and Megs should be somewhat bigger, but not out class them. Though leader Prime until the movie version always has the smaller mode and larger upgraded mode so technically he's only obviously larger than most deluxe class bots when powered up.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Voyager is just about the perfect size for them. More kids can get them, that way. I preffer the smaller figures, anyway. Plus, Hasbro's not as prone to cram obnoxious electronics into voyager class figures.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I prefer all my TFs to be around the Deluxe - Voyager size, with the bigger ones being a true rarity. For the Movie, I went with the Voyager Prime because I preferred his size relative to the rest. Megatron I did get the Leader, though, since I like it when Megatron towers over Prime.

In Armada Prime's defence, though, he only towers over the other Autobots in his Super Mode, which is meant to be truly huge. His normal form is more in scale with the rest, which is how it should be. The only truly huge Primes are Leader Optimus Prime from the Movie, and the original Beast Wars Ultra Optimus. The rest are either meant to be physically massive (Optimal Optimus) or have a smaller form that boosts up into the huge super robot (RiD, Armada, Energon, Cybertron et al). Movie Prime could even be defended on the grounds that he is in scale with the other Autobots and that his size comes from his choice of alternate mode.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like Optimus Prime. Period. I've collected all the Movie versions. So I guess for me, size does not matter. Having said that. Optimus Prime was larger than the other Autobots in the Movie, so that justifies a Leader class next to the Voyager Troops.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like Movie leader Prime, as he's in scale with Ratchet, IH, BB and Jazz.

But I am glad that Animated is just doing Voyagers and Deluxes. Though it makes the figures less in scale. (I'm lookin' at you, BB and Bulkhead) Though I'm surprised just how good (read: AWESOME!) the figures look despite scale restricions.

Typicaly, Prime has always been much larger than his fellow Autobots, but if the situation calls for it, I do prefer he be smaller.

Basicaly, it depends.

11. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I believe all TFs should be sized according to their secondary form. Meaning if Prime is a tractor trailer then he should be slighty bigger than his Autobot car counterparts. IMO, the Leader Class from the movie series is WAY too big. Prime should have been just slightly bigger than most of the Voyager Class.

Sorry, but I'm honestly not a fan of oversized figures.

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

*Looks at masterpiece Prime and Megatron*

Ugh....

I always thought it was funny how Prime's proportion to the rest of the Autobots was like that of an adult to children, like Prime was their dad.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Voyagers please!

14. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When I look at my G1 shelf - I see Prime is about the same height as Perceptor and Inferno, who are taller than the Autobot cars but that's understandable since they're trucks. However, Superion and Blaster are larger as are the many other G1 characters I do not have. The same with Classics Prime, at least there's Jetfire, Comm Soundwave and Devastator that are taller. With Energon, Cybertron and others - even combiners weren't as tall as Prime which I found sort of pointless, and a bit stupid.

Movie Prime I like at leader price point, think it suited him well.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, here, I have two different opinions- one for media and one for actual toys. In cartoons and comics- I think Megs and Prime should be just a little bigger then the average bot. They should have an imposing presence but not be the leader just because they're bigger. As toys, however, I like having larger toys for the leaders just becuase they display well in my opinion (I don't play with them so they're mobility and sometimes clunkiness is not really a bother). Not that I would mind smaller versions closer in proportion, but I certainly like the larger toys as long as it's limited to leaders and maybe a few others (a whole line of Leader class and above would be kinda crazy).

The movie had almost all sizes for the leaders. I'm not sure how I feel about that- I like both the voyager and the leader mold for Prime, but the line just ends up with so many of the same character. I see why they did this since the movie toys were meant to be accessible at all price points, but as a collector it gets redundant (I am not a completist, but I generally like to get the main "Primes").

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, it depends on the peticular Prime in question. My favorite Prime so far has been the Classics Voyager version, and I'm already liking the Animated Voyager from what we've seen so far.

17. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

If the Prime looks cool....I really don't care what size it is.

18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Prime and Megatron being larger makes more sense to me. In Megatron's case, the Decepticons are social Darwinists ("survival of the fittest") so Megatron has to be the biggest, fastest, and strongest to maintain his position.

In Optimus Prime's case, he wouldn't be the greatest warrior if he wasn't big, strong, and well-armed. For Prime to be smaller than some of his troops just doesn't make sense to me. Prime isn't a leader who commands from behind the lines - he leads by example. We talk a lot about great Autobot warriors like Grimlock, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, Ironhide, etc, but none are greater than Optimus Prime.

19. littlebotbrat

littlebotbrat Well-Known Member

That makes sense that the strongest and biggest survived. It doesn't though in the beast wars where the smaller maximals seem to survive more than the tougher ones and the same seems to go with the predacons.

20. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I find leader class to large for them, voyager is big enough. I find that becasue of the leader class it doesnt really make supreme class fell all that big or have that wow factor of size compared to the other figures. Although if you take prime out of his super mode hes not that big but leader class is to large for them.

But when it comes to the movie line I think (well for prime) that he fits pretty good in scale size to the other autobots he's a little bit to tall but not by that much.