Minor/Repaint: Optimus Prime Classic - the $9 solution

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 19, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Well, hi! Thanks for swinging by.

I have to tell ya, although I absolutely love my Classics, I've always really disliked Classics Prime. I could tell you all the reasons, but there's enough to fill up an entire thread of its own. Classics is my chance to have a display that finally looks (mostly) like the cartoon from back in the day, so that was my goal with this Prime, which is why I left the stripes off of the arms.

I've been looking for a replacement that's roughly the same size for a long time. I saw a thread where a fellow radicon head swapped Classics Prime with a KO, and it looked much better. I found what looked to be the same on Ebay and bought it for $9. Upon arrival, I discovered not only is the head the correct size, but this oversized Robot Masters KO was a perfect replacement...once he received a new paint job, that is! I wanted my CHUG Prime to be the same size as Megatron, and this is a perfect fit.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, granted, the truck mode is somewhat....lacking. He looks a little odd around the hips. But, really, other than that, those are the only two complaints I really have, compared to the 30 or so I had with the classics mold.

Painted with Dupli Color Enamels. The ax was hand painted silver, then clear yellow, then some light brushing around the edges with clear orange with Testor's MMA. Everything thats silver was painted black, then drybrushed. I added some light wear around the feet and hands, and a tiny bit on the torso. I shaved down the pegs holding in his hands so they could slide up farther into the forearm, as they looked a little long prior to the surgery. I added a jewel to the inside of the gun barrel. Windows were tinted blue using a 50/50 clear paint/pledge future mix. Finally a repro labels symbol finished the project.

Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

wow this is the best classic prime I see so far great job dude ;) 

3. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Nice job man, that looks like the Diaclone or Robot Masters OP though, not the actual classics line BUT you are right still, it fits perfectly right in there.

4. Starwave

Starwave Herald of Unicron

Now if only we could get a voyager sized MP Grimlock KO.

5. SonOfNemesis

I think there is one, I saw one posted up not to long ago, it was a classics KO and it was just about as big as Jetfire if not bigger.

6. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Thanks!

Yeah, this started life as the oversized Robot Masters KO, I'm just calling it classics for my personal display.

7. SonOfNemesis

Nice, I am surprised to see that you only painted Prime, you got talent so what about the others??

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Awesome! I've been using one of these oversize RM KO Primes as my "Classic" Optimus for years now, though I haven't gotten around to sprucing him up like you have. I wish this figure had a bit more length in his waist to extend his torso a bit, but otherwise, it's gold.

Looks fantastic! :thumbs2: 

zmog

9. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

OHHG DUDE! OUTSTANDING! i saw this mould on e bay but the KO's i saw were 3" tall and i kept getting outbid ! i didnt know there was a bugger version!
    I MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME paint job to

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I may need to look into one of these for my project.. hmmmm... I wonder.. :D  I never really liked the RM mold for Convoy, but looking at it now, I have a better appreciation for it. Nice work with it, and hope to see more from you soon man.

11. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Good idea!

Good work!

12. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i think i would ditch my classics prime for one of these

13. CaptainX1

CaptainX1 Well-Known Member

that really is the best optimus prime figure i have seen. the movie one is flawless (almost), and masterpiece is amazing, but its fucking expensive and i honestly don't like the way the chest looks and the truck mode is slightly lacking, but the robot master oversize, especially with some wrist extensions, would make a perfect cartoon replica

14. Will of Unicron

Will of Unicron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That really is great. I'm going to have to find one of these now for myself. I think I'd cut down the over extended sided of his waste a little to balance it out. Other than that it looks great!!!

15. SentinelPrime

Ebay:
    Thanks everyone...

Here's a link to the specific oversized KO if anyone is interested in owning it for themselves:

chimungmung Toy Shop

16. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    you sure make this look a lot better, never realized it had so much potential!

[​IMG]

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This is nicely done. How's the quality?

I have to say that I still love Classics Prime. Total G1 accuracy has never been that much of an issue for me.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have two of these... by Chinatown knock-off standards, it's actually pretty good. Obviously the plastic is a bit cheaper, but the figure feels solid and the joints on both of them are surprisingly tight (except the necks, which are both pretty loose out of the box). Robotmasters Prime is already a fairly simple design, so this is a pretty faithful enlarged version of the original, even down to the relative thickness of the plastic for the scale. He also comes with all the accessories, such as the giant missile launcher, traditional laser rifle, energy axe and even a spare set of hands. He'll definitely be improved with a little work, but it's not a bad figure to start with.

zmog

19. cuters

cuters Diabolist

wow must find one and do this myself this custom rocks