Optimus Prime Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PrimesRule, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    "We will kill them all."

Thanks to Bay for bringing out the most badass Optimus Prime ever to the screen.... Though he really overdid it in certain scenes which is still fine with me.

2. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Best. Optimus. Prime. Ever.

3. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed.

4. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

Best character development for a Optimus Prime, too.

5. PrimesRule

PrimesRule Banned

News Credits:
    That plus G1 Optimus, TFA Optimus, etc.

6. tm11176

tm11176 Well-Known Member

Optimus prime -the great autobot leader :”freedom is the right of all sentient beings”

7. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

lol wut

8. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Amen, my brother. They treated him as a person instead of an icon, and he came off much better for it - except in the eyes of those who want him as an icon.

He is one of the most passionate, resolved, tragic, human Optimuses to come around in the entire franchise. His role in Dark of the Moon was a tour de force as we watched him go through the worst betrayal imaginable, bear the weight of the world on his shoulders, and make the hardest choice any Optimus has had to make: being forced to execute the man who raised him and taught him right from wrong. The way he just sags right after he takes the second shot, and the way he tosses the gun aside, say it all.

Without him, the Bayverse would be much worse off. In RotF, his scenes are literally the only reason worth sticking around, in my opinion - when he dies, it turns to dreck.

9. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

So much of this!! In a way, he is a tragic character, really, and the natural evolution of the Optimus Prime icon that G1 and most other continuitys have.

10. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    I found how completely and utterly fucking crazy and bloodthirsty he is to be one of the few things that amused me in the movies. It's hilarious.

11. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

I actually think that had more to do with Michael Bay just thinking it would make Optimus look like more of a badass to smoke both Megs and Sentinel. Quite frankly, you could argue that in terms of "character development" all that scene showed was the complete deterioration of Optimus to the point of stooping to Sentinel and Megatron's levels, allowing himself to give in to the need for personal vengence and his inner anger. Optimus decided to become judge, jury, and executioner. And it was a cold, premeditated decision as shown by his "we will kill them all" line well before the Chicago battle even began.

Now if the point of executing a defenseless, weakened Sentinel right on the spot was that Sentinel was just to dangerous to be left alive, so dangerous that holding him in prison or anything like that just wasn't feasible, then so be it. But the movie had ample opportunity to make that point clear. It didn't. The message was pretty clear that vengence = badass, and the best way to deal with murdering psychopaths who killed your friends is to get personal revenge and plug them in the head.

Look by contrast at how the Avengers movie ended. Lokie or however you spell his name was responsible for lots of death too, and his brother Thor had every bit as much reason to off him in a furious rage as Prime did his mentor. But he didn't. Lokie was arrested and hauled off to face judgment in a civil way. Look at the Batman films - Nonlan's Bruce Wayne has character depth aplenty and lots of moral inner turmoil but he too has the basic rule of no killing of defenseless prisoners, even the baddest of bad guys.

I don't think Optimus has to be an icon and I agree that he shouldn't just be this flat character who is always infallible and inherently noble. I get that part. But DOTM just took it completey 100% the opposite direction and ended by having Prime become the same type of murdering psycho that he was battling. If, as you say, those body movements of Prime after the killing showed his inner struggle and remorse, then that makes it all the worse cuz it means even Optimus realizes killing Sentinel in cold blood was just not cool. He made himself judge, jury and executioner in the name of the "greater good" and that is the EXACT same first false step toward becoming a tyrant and despot that Sentinel himself made when he started betraying for what he alone judged to be the best interests of his own race.

So to me, DOTM ends with Optimus having taken the very first step toward evil that Sentinel once took. Which would be intriguing if I really felt that Bay and his crew were aware of that and were deliberately trying to take it that direction to make things morally complicated. But they weren't. The original script had Optimus and Megatron calling a truce, and Bay saw that as too wimpy and wishwashy and swapped it out for a chance at some more killing and Baysplosions to make Prime look like a bad mofo. That's all.

12. Honorbound

It's more about justice, and about ensuring that mass murderers don't get to keep breathing after they stole away innocent lives.

Optimus was already leagues better than Sentinel or Megatron, both of whom have already butchered innocents and planned to enslave more innocents. He literally laid his life down for humanity, because unlike his Transformer-supremacist (I don't want to use the term racist because they are separate species) father figure, Optimus understands that there is no moral difference between the Transformers and the humans. To him, human innocents must be protected with the same fervor and ferocity as Transformer innocents, and if that means killing bad guys when they are vulnerable, then so be it.

Sentinel and Megatron earned their deaths. It's not just about how much of a threat they are, it's about what they've done, and their heinous crimes merit nothing less than a swift, if brutal in Megatron's case, execution.

13. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

At that point, Sentinel was a decepticon ("You didnt betray me, you betrayed yourself"). And the whole point of DOTM was that Optimus realizes that he cant let himself be stopped by his own morals when it comes to defending the innocent. The Transformers race had their chance, the decepticons had no right to put humans in danger. The decepticons had 3 movies to prove that they are not so dangerous - this time, they wanted to destroy the planet (again), but ALMOST succeded. Optimus had no choice, every single solitary decepticon had to die - they were to dangerous to be left alive, Sentinel included. Honestly, I think thats an amazing revelation - putting your own "honorable" believes aside to serve the right cause. For me, THATS what it means to be a Prime.

I mean, you could clearly see that Optimus wasnt enjoying what hes doing - it was tearing him apart. Just look at that shot right after he killed Sentinel, it conveys so much.

Also, it doesnt matter one bit if Michael Bay or anyone else in the production intended this to be the message of DOTM: A movie, once finished, becomes an entity of itself, basically with its own mind. Every director is aware of that. Hell, most creative people that are not in the movie industrie are aware of that, seeing how thats the case with most, if not all art forms. Once an art is released, it takes on a mind of its own.

14. Honorbound

Again, amen, brother. Sentinel's execution is something that's going to haunt Optimus for the rest of his life. I have to give Optimus credit here - he didn't pass the buck to someone else or hide behind a trial when he knew what the outcome would be - he took the burden onto his own shoulders, which at this point is just one more brick on the load.

Your second paragraph is so true, because once it's released, it becomes subject to interpretation by the audience, who often see things that the creator never intended. Look at the different opinions on Optimus's actions - no other Optimus, not even TFP Optimus, has sparked so much thought, discussion, and differences of opinion. Like him or hate him, he's made one hell of an impact on the fandom, and hopefully, the franchise.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Indeed.

Also, it ended the war. (Unless TF4 says otherwise, but the news of an all new cast may mean a partial reboot or seperate events that don't undo that) It's not like it was just some random act of violence that had no purpose, he was literally ending teh whole thing. And it will bother him, just like every dicision he makes bothers him. The dude's always depressed, always soul-searchy. Optimus is probably the most realistic depiction of a character who's endured a millenia of war that we've seen.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I agree.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Didn't care for him in ROTF and DOTM but man the design of him looks good.

18. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Yes, this thread is so win.

Thank you, Mr. Bay, for making this version of Optimus Prime. Hail Optimus Prime, for being so awesome.

He had great character, and was a deeper character than other Optimuses, one we could relate to easily.

He was never afraid to tear apart the 'Cons, kill them all, by any means necessary. Because he stuck up for his ideals. Not the ideal of not killing, that has no place in a war. The ideal of freedom for the innocent, and the loss of freedom for those who try to obstruct it.

19. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

This So Much!

Movie Optimus is My Fav! and the Best version of him! I LOVE!! Everything About him! Every single thing :D 

20. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I appreciate Optimus trying to become Judge Dredd.