Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What's the difference in toy's between the Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus? Of all the toy's I've seen of Magnus, it look's like it's just a white Prime? I see that there is a Masterpiece of Magnus, but isn't it again just a white Prime? Are there subtle differences that I'm not seeing? I know that their trailers are different, and in the cartoons they are different.

2. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When Ultra Magnus looks like a white Prime, it pretty much is. Hasbro often repaints Prime into Magnus because the core figures in G1 were the same. There are some unique Magnus's (such as Animated, RID, and G1 Titanium), but usually, Magnus is a repaint w/ no differences.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It really depends on which continuity's Ultra Magnus you go off of. In G1 the cab/inner robot was the same as Prime, but it had additional armor that turned into a car carrier.

Since then most Ultra Magnus figures have been straight-up repaints of some kind (aka no mold differences), most have been Prime repaints, while there's been at least one that was a repaint of another character.

There have been a few unique molds for the character post G1. RID Ultra Magnus and Animated Ultra Magnus come to mind as two of them.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With G1 Magnus, i really think Hasbro was just being lazy. or they thought that a white bot plugged into all that red and Blue armor would make for a patriotic bot (????)

I kinda wish at times that Hasbro had given it a unique paint job back then and save us from the white vs red thing.

Still. what was said in the above posts remains true. Until RiD came along, UM was no different than Optimus.

5. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    the original toys were both Diaclones. Prime was "Convoy," just a robot with a trailer that turned into a base. Magnus was "Powered Convoy," the same robot with a trailer that turned into armor. In the Transformers media, Magnus wasn't depicted as a guy wearing armor, he was only depicted as a large robot. Until Dreamwave, that is. And from that point on, Hasbro has taken to making Prime redecos into Magnus as a White Prime rather than a Large Robot (because it's Hasbro's policy to redeco nearly any mold they make to recoup costs, and it's hard to redeco someone as iconic as Prime unless you have a precedent like Magnus's original mold to fall back on). Occasionally, like in Animated and the Titanium lines, Hasbro will make a Magnus that recalls the original Large Robot concept, but these instances are not as prevalent as they should be.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Thank you for your quick answers. I had assumed there was more difference between the two than just armor/trailer. Should have at least had a different head. I'm almost positive their heads were different in the cartoons.

7. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

well, if we're talking g1, the cab attaches to the trailer in bot mode, so the difference lies in there i guess. in rid, they came in different bots and they combine to form omega prime.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    They did, but Magnus' head was part of the armor (which, again, wasn't armor in the cartoons). The exact differences with Magnus are more obvious in his original Diaclone setup.

Diaclones were originally made as piloted mecha rather than living robots. As such, they came with little 1-inch tall pilots, which is why Prime's Roller and the pod in his trailer have tiny little seats in them.

When it came to Magnus, the chest-plate on his armor was originally made as a little cruiser for the pilots, it had wheels on the bottom, but these were removed when he was remade as a Transformer. (I think Magnus' helmet also plugged into this vehicle, but I'll have to look it up again to remind myself).

The Diaclone Magnus also included a 2nd figure, a little buggy like Prime's Roller, but unlike Roller, it transformed into its own robot mode. This was omitted from the Transformers releases of Magnus.

EDIT - if you have no idea what a Diaclone is, this is what the Diaclone Magnus toy featured

9. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And now you know. And knowing is half the battle!