Optimus Prime: A what if. (Heavy Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Night Flame, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

There are spoilers here. Be warned.

So, was anyone else annoyed by Prime being so resigned to his fate in the movie? I mean, I'm not ready to grab the pitchfork and head to Bay's over it or anything, but it was odd, wasn't it? He was ready to sacrifice himself.

Now, let's take a little stroll down that path for a moment. We know it didn't go down this way, but if Prime's plan followed through, and Sam stuck the cube into Prime's chest instead of Megs', what would have happened?

Prime, the only Autobot that could even think about standing toe-to-toe with Megs, is dead. Megatron would be FURIOUS because the thing he had spent so long chasing after, and spent thousands of earth years frozen over, and obsessed over, would be out of his reach. What would happen to the humans then? What would Megatron's reaction be? My guess? Temper tantrum. In the guise of, "Wipe them out," Emperor style. And Sam would suffer an insta-squish. Now, they may not succeed in wiping out the entire planet, as there would only be Megatron and Starscream left at that point, but my bet is they could at least destroy most of the city before being taken down by Ratchet and Ironhide. Bumblebee would still be legless and, barring Mikeala finding a way to strap him onto the top of an airplane or the bottom of a helicopter, he'd be pretty useless in trying to stop the two remaining Decepticon fliers.

So the question is raised, what is Optimus's deal? It's the one truly interesting bit of character development we get for any of the bots or cons, and it raises serious questions about Prime's character. Is he so bent on being the martyr that he'll leave his remaining troops and the humans in the way of a truly enraged Megatron? Has he struggled with his own death for so long he's just ready to get on with it and be done and doesn't care about the humans and his remaining troops? Or is this simply a manifestation of the regular old Prime, "I should sacrifice, no one else should have to" attitude that Prime has always held onto and he just wasn't bright enough to think through the consequences?

I realize he had one primary objective, and that was to destroy, or somehow keep away from Megatron, the cube. But at what cost? Would it truly be justifiable for Prime, if he thought it through, to leave the humans to their fate against Megatron with only two of his troops functional enough to help stop him?

(DISCLAIMER: Yes, the movie wasn't this deep on its own and I've put way more thought into it than I should. After six viewings, this stands out to me as a serious moment of "Prime's just being stupid." So I thought I'd ask the question, "wha's he thinkin'?")

2. talkin jibberish

talkin jibberish Well-Known Member

very good point!! well thought out
    i did think optimus's resignation to suicide was a bit odd, and why was optimus getting royally served by megs when he dealt with a big angry bonecrusher in such a devastating way so as to show us how bad ass he was

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He's Optimus Prime, he's willing to do anything to ensure peace. Plus, I don't think he was deffinate in his fate, Ratchet said it could destroy him, maybe, sub-conciously, he felt he would survive?

4. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

I thought he was rushing the whole, "put it in my spark" thing. The Autobots seemed to be winning the battle with almost all of the Deceps down for the count. Prime probably could have just kept pounding away and defeated Megs without the Allspark being destoyed.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have to agree with you. I asked myself that after my third viewing recently. It does stick right out like a sore thumb.

Though, honestly, I think it's just the movie writer's interpretation of Prime's credo of self sacrifice for the greater good. Frankly, I don't think that the writer's thought out what would happen if it were to happen. I mean, Megatron's not going to turn around, go home and forget about it.

Although, I have been thinking that Prime believed that the humans could have eventually stopped Megatron (though at a cost) and after that it would be over because there would be no more Allspark.

My limited take on the matter.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, Prime could have easily decimated Megatron, the Allspark wouldn't get destroyed, and the Autobots might have been able to return to Cybertron.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Prime has always been a pouty Emo McSadsack. In G1 he killed himself over a video game.
    AND HE WAS THE ONE WHO WON.

8. BioG

BioG Member

do u see carton any time?
    Oo he is optimus cĀ“mon

9. enduser0001

enduser0001 Autobuddy

the Allspark in the chest thing just didn't work for me. That was the biggest fail point of the whole movie. An it is soooooooooo important that
    A. the master plan is to destroy it, and
    B. trust a stupid puny human with it.

10. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

How come in the game, Decepticon's side, Megs kills OP and then takes the Allspark and puts it in his chest. Megs doesn't die, though, so maybe He was ready to brace the impact of power the AS would give him, and died in the movie b/c he wasn't expecting all that power for him so suddenly. Maybe Optimus would stay alive if he put the AS in his chest because he asked for it

11. Cth

Cth Cthulhu

News Credits:
    Easy.

Optimus planned on turning himself into a suicide bomber.

He'd grab onto Megatron and hope the explosion took them both out.

Here's what I posted elsewhere on the subject:

12. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

I thought the same thing the first time I saw the flick and still think about it. It just didn't make much sense for Prime to want to kill himself and leave a highly ticked off Megs to lay waste to the city and possibly the rest of the world/ universe.

Also, I kinda felt like Sam was able to place the allspark in Megs chest a little too easily for my tastes. It looked like it didn't even need to contact Megatron and presto!, instant magical all-spark death.

The whole time Prime seemed more bent on sacrficing himself then beating down Megatron. All he kept talking about was putting the damed thing in his chest :( 

Don't get me wrong I love this movie but that was just one of my gripes about it.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

That's a good idea, but there was no guarantee there would be an explosion, and the movie showed there wasn't one. Just a fizzle and fall. Though Megs certainly would have looked like a doof standing there in a hug with a lifeless Prime in his hands, making him all the MORE enraged.

14. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime is just noble and forgiving in a manner beyond any of us. Perhaps Prime hoped if he died, Megatron would realize what he had done was completely selfish.

Which certainly doesn't make sense to us gritty, logical humans, or those like Ironhide and Ratchet.

15. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just another thought: perhaps Prime also hoped the slightest chance that if he absorbed the Allspark, he'd become one powerful mutha.

16. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Because if Prime destroyed the ALLSPARK, then Megatron would have little to no army, be in a damaged state and eventually the humans would overcome Megs as he is the last of a dying race.

If Megs got the cube for any amount of time, he would immediatly and instantly creating thousands of minions for an army that would consume the universe. I mean even 20 more random robots would be enough to quickly overwhelm the autobots and human forces.

At least if the cube was destroyed, Megatron stays a lesser threat than if he risks letting megs get the cube and taking over the universe.

17. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

My thoughts too, Prime knew there were other Autobots out there as well who could stop Megatron if he had no way to build up a new army, better to die and destroy the cube than give Megatron any chance to use its power.

18. night_strike

night_strike Member

maybe prime knew somthing about the cube that the other autobots didnt i mean he pulled out that little piece from megs so maybe he figured any piece left in his body for a amount of time would bring him back

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    To be honest, I was more perplexed that the military guys thought the best thing to do was take the cube into a highly populated area so as to put lots of civilians at risk for the coming battle.

20. Geluidsgolf

Geluidsgolf Active Member

What's that tiny fragment OP pulls out of Megs's chest, isnt that a piece of allspark or might it be something else?