Optimus Prime: A 7yo girl's perspective

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ruination04, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought this was kinda funny......

My little girl is 7 years old and she definitely knows who Optimus Prime is....He's my hero. I can show her any Prime from any TF line and she knows it's Prime.

Just a few minutes ago, I was looking at some pics, and I pulled the robot mode of Prime from the '07 movie. She said "Whoa.....who is that?" I said it was Optimus Prime from the new movie. She said "mmmmmm.....he does not look good!" I thought this was funny that even though she's a TF fan, even a 7 year old is put off by the new look.. LOL

EDIT:
    Can someone move this? I don't know how/why I put it here....

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    It's a somewhat faulty argument to bring up a kid that had exposure to established Optimus Primes as an example of children being turned off by the looks of movie Prime.

Show the same images to a kid that has never heard of Transformers before and you'll probably get a different reaction.

3. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Why is this in the News forum?

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's news to me.

5. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I just realized, I was in the wrong forum...sorry bout that, Ralph!

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Heh, my 7 year old daughter simply loves my Galaxy Convoy, I may hafta try her on the movie pic to, just to see her reaction to it.:lol 

7. Ruination04

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, but she could care less any way....

just thought it was funny......

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am a 21 yr old girl and I like the way Prime looks, probably just because I am big Rodimus fan. I can name every Prime too ;) 

9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    You are?? Wow, guess you DO learn something new every day.:lol 

10. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    why don't you go around and do a poll of 7 years old and let us know

11. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

It would seem to me that if Galaxy Force Optimus Prime and Megatron were one's exposure to what those characters look like, they would find the ILM bots very acceptable. To me, they appear like the next evolutional step. This is all just theory though, since I'm a G1 fan.

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

2 of my nephews had different opinions about the movie designs, one liked them the other thought they were dumb. Neither are really big fans of transformers. they're both fans of shows like fosters, and ed edd and eddy. they actually think im a big nerd for being an adult and liking a show about robots.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    better keep an eye out on the kid. michael bay could be staking her.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting. And funny.

Still, as far as kids and people in general, it seems that alot of people are split down the middle about their personal opinions on the movie designs.

All five of my cousins have a different opinion about it. The twins (one's a boy the others a girl) think the designs are lame, but keep in mind that they grew up watching BW/BM. The oldest sibling thinks that Megatron looks like shit, but Prime still screams iconic... now, he's only a couple years younger than me and we grew up watching G1 together. The youngest of us, who's exposure to TFs has unfortunately come through the recent lines, thinks that they're the next step in the evolution of Cyb. Prime and Megatron and that the movie is really going to tie into the Arm/Ener/Cyb trilogy no matter what anyone else tells him... one shouldn't argue with a 13 year old boy... it just gets stupid and annoying. The one that's actually older than me, and isn't a transformers fan btw, is the only one of us whom likes all of the designs so far. He says that the decepticons finally actually look like villains that are out to destroy humaniy and that the Autobots finally look realistic and not like giant bricks that move... a non-fans perspective I guess?

But, yeah, I bet if you were to do a poll you probably couldn't come up with a general conscensus one way or another, because the designs are just too damned controlversial.

As for kids recognizing TFs... I can see it. I mean, my six month old daughter recognizes Optimus Prime too. I can hold any Prime infront of her and she'll squeel and reach for it... she will not do that with any other TF at all. Also, she's been watching the series that I have on DVD for awhile now and when Prime dies in the movie... she starts to yell and scream... and I've tested that many many times... and the result is always the same. And this is simply a six month old... doesn't help that daddy's an Optimus Prime nut I guess. Oh, and her opinion on the movie design (she saw it when she was sitting in my lap at the computer) is that it looks like a Prime to her... she started reaching for the computer screen... :drunk 

15. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

At 13 he's old enough to smack upside the head if he's being a dumbass.

16. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

This means absolutely nothing. If there were near as many Transfans as there are non-transfans, the TV shows would still be popular no? As it stands NONE of the TV channels will play the Transformers in any high viewer rating time slots because of its lack of popularity. SURE they play it still .... in times where kids would be at school, late at night or VERY eary in the morning ... but its just not good enough to play over anything else when kids will surely be watching.

Whether you like it or not ... the TF has fizzled. The actual number of transfans compared to not is very small. And yes, you can see proof of this in ratings and TF toy sales which are VERY low. Kids just are not watching the TF or buying toys anymore. Something needs to change.

My kids are not Transfans. They saw in once in a while ... and like most kids now a days will likey Gundam more than TF. They absolutely LOVE the way the new TF look. They think Optimus looks awesome and that Megatron looks like a completely evil monster. Now they can't wait to get the toys, and I will be happy when a new generation of kids will love the NEW Transformers once again.

17. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I actually think this is a great example. Its supposed to appeal to kids right? I mean, G1 Optimus looked awesome to me when I was a kid. Just goes to show you that the new movie doesnt have a clear sense of what it is doing.

18. OmegaVPrimus

OmegaVPrimus Well-Known Member

Ah good point, I dont think a 7 year old gives a hoot. I may not know because I dont have kids but I don think a 7 year old girl is going to change a Transfans perspective of what or why the movie is going to be good or bad. Or of any other range.

Know I think based on how many people are going to see it with me, it will hit box office record's. Can I say that for sure? No, but I see a future in this movie, just hasent happened yet. But if your little girl feels that way, teach her more of the wearabouts of Micheal Bay and see her reaction.....

Other than that, GJ

Actually I think that a 7 year old would piss their ants seeing one of these transform on the bigscreen. :D 

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    My 7 year old nephew can't wait to see the move. He's seen the designs and he loved them. He thought that Bumblebee looked a bit odd ("I hope they give him a real face because Bumblebee's a nice guy and he should smile at people"), but he thought Megatron looked amazing ("Why didn't he look that scary before!?!? he should look scary! He's Megatron!")

20. Dio

Dio Scrapper

Let's do a quick tally for your benefit, shall we?

Kids (under 18) mentioned in this thread having a favorable opinion of the designs:
    .SentinelPrimeIsDead. - 1
    Laser_Optimus - 2.5 (.5 favors Prime)
    nuopus - 2? (he said "kids" implying more than one, so I'm assuming 2)
    Draven - 1

Kids mentioned having an unfavorable opinion of the designs:
    Ruination04 - 1
    .SentinelPrimeIsDead. - 1
    Laser_Optimus - 2.5 (.5 dislikes Megatron)

Total in favor: 6.5
    Total not in favor: 4.5

This just goes to show you that an ignorant, biased and disgruntled fan will only take in what information he sees fit to argue his point.