Optimus Prime #9

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by maku098, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Rather.
    Are you really trying to pretend the OP comic can hold a candle to one of the handfull of good TF fictions IDW has produced by copy/pasting some dumb gif? :rolleyes: 
    I guess that's the last resort if you can't really defend your stance.

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    AHM is one of the most generic, boring, predictable things IDW has ever done.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I enjoyed it.
    Predictable? Hardly, exept for the end when the Autobots crashed the party to saved the day.
    Boring? It had lots of content and plottwists, a fair amount of jokes.
    Generic? It was very Hollywood yes. But that aspect of it didn't bother me.

4. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Yeah, AHM put me off of IDW for a long time, it was just such hackneyed writing. I didn't pick up a Transformers comic book again until I heard about Last Stand of the Wreckers in 2011. Optimus isn't the best series IDW's put out in their history (I'd say Roche's Wreckers series, the first season of MTMTE, and the Spotlights are my favorites) but with TAAO ending and The Lost Light...doing what it's doing...Optimus is about the best thing we have right now, in terms of art quality and interesting writing, though the ROM crossover is going interesting places.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I don't think a "stance" has to be provided. One persons opinion is AHM was good. Other opinions (mine included here) is that it was not.
    Moving on!

• Like Like x 2
  6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

agreed that this story was one of the best in a long time. Good use of Sideswipe's inner monologues. In some ways, the Streaker/Swipe rivalry always seemed one-sided in IDW. It gets mentioned in Spotlight Sideswipe, I think in AHM by Swipe, and again in this issue. Good continuity callouts to AHM. Very sad story indeed but nicely packaged. Zama continues to kill it with the art.

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    There was far worse yet to come. At least AHM had good artwork. Not everyone may have liked the cartoon character models being used, but it was well drawn at least.

The worst part of AHM was Optimus Prime's revival. They went from it being impossible to revive him then him walking through the door without any indication as to how he was revived.

I like to imagine that Optimus Prime did in fact die, and that someone else was built into Optimus Prime.

8. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Curse you Shockwave! Stop doing that!

9. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    It's not Optimus, it's Ginrai. And nobody really noticed. Every time he went by they'd be all "Hey Optimus" And he would be like "Don't call me Optimus goddammit!" and then when the real Optimus died, they just tacked on parts to make him taller, transferred the real Optimus's memories over to him so he could pass the test, and he took the name anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime was really a little green guy with a mustache in a suit the whole time.

11. noblekale

Ebay:
    If you want to get technical, depending on your continuity, he's actually a Japanese trucker, or a slightly pudgy old balding guy in a metal suit in another suit. ...Suddenly Minimus doesn't seem all that bad if you think about it...

12. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Oh.. You thought I was talking about a Nebulan? I was talking about Minimus. I just now realized the similarites between the two.

13. noblekale

Ebay:
    I knew you were talking about Minimus. I just brought up the other two as a joke, then realized the similarity myself. And in Japanese continuity he's a Japanese trucker in a metal suit, controlling another metal suit, wearing a metal suit made out of a trailer, and another metal suit made out of a trailer. Thus making Minimus look pretty tame in comparison!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Whatever your stance on AHM (I thought it was "fine") I'm sure we can all agree it was at least no Heart of Darkness.

I thought the issue had some emotional resonance and Zama was excellent. If only Barber's writing was more consistent so the build up could make the payoff that much better.

• Like Like x 1