Optimus Prime #9

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by maku098, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you just count the Bot's, but I do believe Ravage is pushing up Energon daises.

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    I count "Ark crew" and "Ark invaders" separately. ;) 

3. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Hm, I thought it was a good sendoff.

As for the Combaticons, they just got manipulated into being Starscream's enforcers. We're gonna see them fight again ^^ Plus, hey, we did get a round of Bruticus there.

4. rerunwatson99

rerunwatson99 Well-Known Member

I woke up early this morning to read this issue before heading into work. And now, I'm really gonna be thinking about this all day!
    Sideswipe is and has always been my favorite character (look at my avatar and banner)! I'm upset that he won't make a bigger staple into the transformers universe anymore. Barber, you are the freakin' man for this issue...BEAUTIFUL! Zama, the art, LOVELY!
    Yeah, its gonna be hard for me too to read other Transformer comics because I have no one to eventually look forward too! I need to find all things Sideswipe now haha (secretly crying :( )

p.s. DAMN BRAWL! Forever on my SHITLIST!

• Like Like x 3
  5. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Wow. This may be one of Barber's best issues.

I mean, Sideswipe's one of those characters that hasn't left much of an impact on me. He has a jetpack, is always game to crack some heads, and that's about it, and yet his death here genuinely shocked and left me with a bit of a lump in my throat. It was just so well done, all the little and not-so-little clues that something wasn't quite right with what you were seeing, then Sideswipe's realisation with Arcee and Sunstreaker behind him... God damn.

And then there's Kei Zama's art. She's one of my favourites as it is, especially paired up with Burcham on colours, but this issue in particular looked absolutely incredible.

10 "I'm Not Crying, You Are!"s out of 10.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Old Bot

News Credits:
    Well thinking about it. Is there a chance that he could return?Aileron believes he may be somewhat "reincarnated" and unlike Trailbreaker, his brain module wasn't destroyed.
    Bots often don't stay dead in the IDW G1 Continuity.
    Ironhide, Sunstreaker, Megatron, Optimus, Bumblebee, Wheeljack, Superion, Nova Prime. The list can go on.

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Well, it's a comic book.

Realistically speaking, you can never expect someone staying dead for 100% sure.

8. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Barber's already done two apparent deaths for Sideswipe--once when Arcee stabbed him in the #12-16 arc, and again during Conquerors (even if the latter still left him in a coma), before writing this entire issue as a final farewell to him, and even it started out with Sideswipe apparently miraculously surviving again.

I don't think Barber has any intention of bringing him back yet again--and I'm not sure I'd want him to, because of how much it would lessen this issue's impact.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. smkheidze

smkheidze GEEEEE-WUNNER MOFO!

This is how I feel. I am a geewunner and IDW's focus on more obscure, more recent characters does not really appeal to me. I really hope that they find a way to resurrect him. But as it is, this was a very solid and emotional issue.

I still hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

"If you have to, I understand. But I'd rather you stayed for a minute, Aileron. You make such a bitchin' armrest."

I kind of forgot that Sunstreaker is still alive, it's honestly baffling how IDW hasn't done more with him recently (and that they killed Hunter O'nion, off but what's done is done).

• Like Like x 1
  12. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I wouldn't bet on it, this is definite spark death.

Though we could still see him in other form- flashbacks, dream sequences, etc..

13. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I too find myself solidly in the "G1 is best" territory, and the body count of classic characters isn't my favorite.

14. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    As mentioned earlier.. Only three members of the 84 cast are dead..

15. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Sounds like a personal problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Sideswipe has basically been a non-entity in IDW (and honestly everything else) since the beginning, so people suddenly upset at his death strikes me as... odd. I mean, sure, he's a recognizable face, but he never did anything, so what's the point of him even being there, and why does it matter that he's not there anymore?

The whole concept of an Autobot who was only ever a soldier and a fighter for the last 4 million years reflecting on his life and coming to a final peace thinking "everything I fought for was worth it" is one of the most powerful and affecting stories you can tell in this post-war setting. It had to be someone who's been in the war since the beginning (inside and out of universe), and out of all the '84 characters in the current cast, Sideswipe was the best choice.

And again, this single comic issue makes Sideswipe more relevant than he has been since he gave Optimus his jetpack in 1984. So I just don't see how him getting killed off in such a meaningful and fitting way is anything but a gain for his character legacy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. smkheidze

smkheidze GEEEEE-WUNNER MOFO!

ummm...cause he was some folk's favorite TF. That should not be that foreign a concept. We all have our favorites, mine happens to be sideswipe. And while yes, this was a great issue, that does not mean that I enjoyed seeing my favorite TF erased from any chance of being seen again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

I have the count at Sideswipe, Slag, and Trailbreaker from the G1 S1 'bots (3 of 27).

And then Spectro, Spyglass, Viewfinder (the Reflector trio), Shockwave, Bombshell, Scrapper, and Ravage from the 'cons (7 of 21 not counting Frenzy, Buzzsaw, or the 4 extra Seekers as those 6 were retconned in later).

• Like Like x 1
  19. AutobotAvalanche

News Credits:
    Oh, I count by toy year, not cartoon year. Fair enough.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gregles

gregles quintesson

Finally read it and it's pretty good, not life changingly amazing but it sure is barbers strongest issue in ages and easily trumps that trio of barber comics released a few weeks ago.

Contrasting sideswipes almost positive death with tailgates incredibly cruel one is fascinating and almost a little upsetting. If we look at how they both lived Tailgate only lived a short conscious life with very little malice even helping save lives with heroism in the remain in light story and he paid dearly on the one occasion he turned to war and violence whilst sideswipe has lived a life defined by his violent actions and he seems almost morally oblivious to whom he sides with or murders so It seems really tragic and unfair as to which out of these two gets a really lonely, slow, painful and frustrating death whilst the other gets one at peace with the world, with their purpose validated and surrounded by those who care about them.

If it was by the same writer I would say this contrast was great writing messing with our heads and emotions but as it is the two issues make interesting companions pieces to contrast and compare.

• Like Like x 4