Optimus Prime #4 iBooks preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sockie, Feb 9, 2017.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Cool art. Especially the cover with Wreck-Gar and his meta stickers/pendants.

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Man, I LOVE Milne\'s take on Zeta Prime. It was never a bad design but outside of Livio\'s stuff it just didn\'t work when artists tried to draw it like Livio did.

It feels like it was a body upgrade designed by someone trying to evoke the greatness of Nova Prime the way Milne draws it, which fits super well with Zeta\'s ego.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Seriously dude, what can we do to get IDW to put you back on MTMTE/LL?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    I thought Zama's depiction was pretty great-looking--miles better-looking than what was in Spotlight: Orion Pax, anyway.

5. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Well the Orion Pax spotlight suffered from straight-up drawing Livio's design, ignoring that Livio's stuff has a LOT of style-specific interpretation.

6. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why are there suddenyl Sharkticons on the Junkion ship? Oh yeah because TO SELL TOYS.
    Seriously, it\'s the same Barber stuff all over again, same way as he added RID singing shark or Rhinox to his stories without them ever adding anything to the plot.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Because it's a Quintesson ship?

I'm tempted to buy this one Optimus Prime book, because it's got Milne and Burcham!

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    For real. Milne for President. Uh or at least for art duty on Lost Light :D 

9. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this just makes me want Alex and Josh to reunite on LL. :cry 

I thought Alex was doing alternating arcs on LL? Is he not coming back at all? That would be a TERRIBLE decision by IDW. Milne is just as much a part of that series' soul as Roberts is. I'd much rather wait a bit extra for issues than not have them properly finish the story they've been telling together for so long.

WE WANT MILNE, IDW.

10. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Awww yeah! it's big Cosmos. If only we'd see more of tall Powerglide in comics. I liked seeing the Mini-bots transcend being tiny vehicles.

11. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Everything about Wreck Gar here is sensational.  That cover is amazing, the way his head is drawn in the actual book is great, fantastic fantastic fantastic.

12. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    I think it has more to do with the fact that, you know, the Junkions are using a Quintesson ship and Sharkticons have already been established as having been on Junkion. But I know that goes against the narrative you're trying to create, BB, so whatever you say...

• Like Like x 2
  13. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    God damn I miss that Milne art with those creamy Burcham colors on it.

14. SteamShield

SteamShield Well-Known Member

Funny reference to the hitchhiker

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    I agree with the strange inclusion of Sharkticons in this comic.  One of the many things keeping me away from IDW comics is their shoe-horning of every toy released into the comics.  This isn\'t a Saturday morning cartoon, it\'s a comic, for older collectors.  We\'ve ALREADY bought the toys.

It was bad enough with setting ratrap, waspinator, Rhinox and Tankor appear, for no rhyme or reason.

Irrelevant inclusion.

16. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    As I mentioned above, Sharkticons have already been established as living on Junkion years ago; I fail to see why there's any reason to be so flabbergasted at them being in a ship the Junkions are using. Their whole role is that they're the catalyst that's going to tear apart any possibility of cooperation between the Autobots and Junkions, as they're a bunch of Cybertronian-eating monsters the Junkions are keeping as pets that might have just devoured some of their friends. That's not "irrelevant," especially when they're on a few covers for the coming issues.

Considering all of this, I really don't see how the Sharkticons' inclusion is anymore random than the Junkions or the colonists (there's guys from the Japanese BW shows and the 2001 RiD in there, for Pete's sake!) or any other new characters brought into this book--is it seriously just that the Sharkticons have toys coming out and none of the others do, thus meaning that it can't simply be Barber wanting to use them after they've only had a handful of appearances in IDW? You might as well complain that Fangry's current prominence in LL is because of his TR toy, and yet that's clearly not why Roberts is using him there either.

If characters having roles in the comic at the same time they have a new toy out angers you that much, regardless of whether it's an actual tie-in, I think you're going to be angry a lot.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  17. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I'm all for including characters from different shows, providing there is a context. The Beast Wars characters on Cybertron were shoe-horned in, plain and simple. If they used Cybertronian modes, it would have worked for me. I don't think having Quintesson minions on Junk makes sense to me, as they are not natives. Why not Mechanibals, instead? They eat bots and other related stuff.

And I'm not angry, as I haven't read IDW fully in years, as it's irrelevant, often poorly written and rendered for my tastes.

18. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    Mechannibals aren't native to Junkion either, though, so I'm not seeing how that's better. And Sharkticons having had a presence on Junkion doesn't mean they were native there--it was implied they were introduced to the planet after a Quintesson cruiser crashed there, quite possibly the same one the Junkions are using right now. This is all making use of Junkion's history in IDW, not just introducing stuff for the sake of the toys.

And I don't think any of the BW characters needed Cybertronian alt-modes when Cybertronian characters who have always had beast-modes have been a thing (Rhinox's whole thing was that he was from Cybertron's beast tribe), and a lot of the NAILs clearly had taken on new alt-modes in their time away from Cybertron, looking like completely different lifeforms; characters like Sky-Byte and Rattrap and their alien beast-modes fit alongside those just fine.

19. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    With the Sharkticons, that seems to have a good backstory. However, with the Maximals and Predacons, no. They are much younger TFs and shouldn't really be in the story at this stage in TF history. Their toys had organic modes, which wasn't developed into much later in TF history. Thus, for me, without a better explanation and non-beast modes, they were still shoe-horned in.

20. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOL, I don't think that's in the plans anytime soon.