Optimus Prime #10 - spoilers!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by NoiseMaker, Aug 30, 2017.

1. LastDecepticon

LastDecepticon Well-Known Member

Sow is Op series done? Or what I'm a little lost. Don't tell me I've been folowing this series fot it to end like this and become some mask micro gi joe shit again. Really?

2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

No, it's not done at all. There's a crossover going on but OP is not stopping for it, it's still one of the main two books.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    In OP #5, Arcee says "But even I was just a lie I told myself. It wasn't until much later that I truly became me." with regards to her early life.

I can't see how to read that as anything other than a statement that she was always trans.

• Like Like x 4
  4. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Except for millions of years she didn't embrace who she was or feel authentically her. The peace of accepting herself has only come recently. The lie she told herself was that she was always one of the "good ones" and didn't act like her brother even though she was just a homicidal.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

I think it was a great issue. I just went through the Autocracy Trilogy and I got to really appreciate Livio Ramondelli's unique style, I am glad he's still on board.
    The last page made the issue: Optimus proceeds with his dream of "peace through unity", but as we approach a historical moment we shift the focus on the victims: Sunstreaker, who was abused and maimed on the planet which is joining the council, and whose brother was killed by those same Decepticons who are now part of his "team"; and Arcee, whose brother was killed in front of his eyes, as the final obstacle before Optimus' annexation of Earth.

Optimus is getting more and more Machiavellian, and I think it makes perfect sense. To oppose Megatron for millions of years, you need to be pragmatic, and the usually idealist Optimus Prime is nothing but a lie covered in dead sparks.

6. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    That would make Sunstreaker a colossal hypocrite, in wake of AHM and regress his post AHM character development. In Arcee's case I still believe she is referring to when her brother "died" and became Galvatron and blames herself for not stopping it. Hell, it was Alpha Trion for setting Optimus on the path to re killing Galvatron and the one she should be mad at, if it is this death. Reminder, Galvatron's list of crimes were singlehandedly caused several genocides, partook in a race cleansing eugenics program, became an undead monster after "selling his spark" to a Unicron pastiche, desecrated hundreds of dead bodies to create an undead army of Sweeps, and reinstigating the civil war, while committing war crimes in the process of killing human allies. So yes Galvatron was well beyond any reasonable person's "why should we give a damn about this monster" meter.

As for Optimus's idealism, he first gave Megatron an out to avoid public humiliation, because while not forgiving him, he still treated him as a friend. Then during the trial he knew Starscream's (only an idiot and Starscream would think it wouldn't) testimony would spur Megatron into moving past his self pity and want of death and force him into seeking atonement. Only some idealistic fool would hope for Megatron to see the light, as Optimus did. Not to mention the numerous times Prowl called him out on his idealism and that it was Prowl that was truly leading the Autobots by being the dirty one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Fixed that for you

8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Neoseed

News Credits:
    Nothing against Ramondelli, he does good work, but I really wish Kei Zama drew the whole issue.

To the people who continue to refer to IDW Arcee as transgender, you fail to understand something. When a sexless sentient alien machine goes from being sexless to being 'female', that wouldn't make her transgender, that would make her female. Going from having no sex to having one doesn't make you trans. Transgender is transitioning from one sex to the other, ergo it can't be 'trans' if Arcee went from being sexless to being female.

I love how Arcee's spotlight is still causing so much butthurt, almost 10 years after it was released.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Except she wasn't genderless. Arcee and Galvatron are referred to with male pronouns. Unless you assume male is the default gender, which is simply not true.

Also, technically EVERY Cybertronian, even Arcee, is sexless. Sex doesn't equal gender.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rikkomba

rikkomba Retired Minicon Guru

Arcee is transgender from the POV of Jhiaxus (and later Anode) acknowledging the existence of "other sexes" in the universe.
    Arcee was transformed to the OPPOSITE sex. Because Jhiaxus didn't just give Arcee 'any' sex, he specifically introduced the concept of "opposite sex".

If you say:
    " When a sexless sentient alien machine goes from being sexless to being 'female', that wouldn't make her transgender, that would make her female."
    there's a fundamental fallacy: you can't go from "sexless" to "female". Female is one of two sexes. It's a very specific term.
    From wikipedia, "the term sex differences (as compared to gender differences) is typically applied to sexually dimorphic traits".

Dimorphic traits: indeed, all IDW females have appearances which heavily stress their physical difference from males. Including Stryka, who looks like my grandma when she's angry.

Most importantly, let's remember how TF fiction has always forcefully incorporated human aspects: five finger hands, cups of tea, scarfs, paper books, big lips, Alpha Trion even has a mole next to his nose in this issue.
    We might debate sex at length in some other fiction, but there's enough support in 30 years of TF narrative to decisively define Arcee as transgender.
    Unless a future IDW crossover fucks this up, of course :confused: 

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    President: "I'd like to introduce Earth's representative to the Council of Worlds..."

Buster: "HURF."

For me, the entire comic was there only to lead up to that moment.

(Elect Buster 2020)

• Like Like x 2
  12. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Busterus Prime!

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ironically, this is a binary perspective.

Since effectively everyone on Earth is assigned male or female at birth, there aren't any cases to speak of of people starting nonbinary and transitioning to male or female.

However, there is no shortage of people who transition to nonbinary status, and these are widely recognized as trans people.

So...it seems like there is logic in considering Arcee trans. Particularly since for whatever reason, Cybertronians seem to consider their own nonbinary default status as the equivalent of biological males in other species.

Now you can argue that that doesn't make sense to you, but everything that's been written on Cybertronian gender in the past 10 years has been an attempt to make the best out of what was established in...

...Spotlight: Arcee

• Like Like x 2
  14. kmc

kmc Well-Known Member

It's that Starscream didn't remember the "Megatronus" story told by Elita, or that this issue comes before TAAO 9? According to WikiPedia's Chronogical reading order, OP10 comes before TAAO9, but that page is very often edited so I don't know how credible it is.

15. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    That doesn't seem right, seeing as how Optimus, Arcee, and the Torchbearers aren't mentioned anywhere in those issues and they seem to be staying on Cybertron until the events of First Strike, which also takes place after the last issue of TAAO and has to happen pretty soon after this issue. Chalk it up to Starscream forgetting/not putting much stock into what Elita said, either.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I thought that was about her violent side.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I don't think so, since she hasn't changed the violent side very much. For all her changes she's never stopped liking fighting.

18. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Galvatron kill the Prime that he was under - possibly being Megatronus?

19. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

Can I make a differing supposition regarding Arcee's "gender"? When the Cybertronians are on Cybertron speaking to each other, they're speaking their own language right? Well, hoooooooow do we know that they don't have a word for addressing each other in pronoun terms that we humans probably do not a word for - and that it translate into "He", which can also mean both "he" and/or "she"?

:p :p :p :p :p 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    It was Nexus that Galvatron killed.

Sorry, but this is bullshit. This is a story written in English using the concept of gendered pronouns to communicate the idea of gender. And even then, there are gender-neutral pronouns in the English language.

• Like Like x 1