Minor/Repaint: Optimus Primal 2016 Year of the Monkey repaint

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lukelbs, Mar 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM.

1. Lukelbs

Lukelbs "This man is terribly misinformed. "

Ebay:
    My Sister and her Husband bought this guy for my 7 year old Nephew and asked if I could paint it up. So I went to work. Everything that looked like fur or Gorilla parts, I painted dark grey with a black wash, then I painted the robot parts in various metallics. I wanted to leave his Optimus Prime red and blues, but still make him look realistic. Here are my results:
    20170318_100406.jpg 20170318_092128.jpg 20170318_100236.jpg 20170318_100215.jpg 20170318_100538.jpg 20170318_100506.jpg 20170318_093919.jpg
    Thank you for looking!
    Let me know what you think! Thanks

• Like Like x 17
  2. Chefprime

Chefprime Radicon

Wow! Massive improvement. Looks great

• Like Like x 1
  3. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it would've sold a lot better if it looked like this, great job!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

And if they weren't charging 3 times the price of the original mold.

This looks great in both modes, but I think Gorilla mode is the better of the two.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Thank you! My sister got it at a discount store for $12. She thought it looked cheap and lame, but thought it'd be worth buying and paying me to make it look less lame. It's a pretty cool mold once those details are brought out. But I think the gorilla mode is the better looking of the two.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I dig it!

7. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Brilliant work!

8. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I've thought about looking for one of these or one of the original Beast Machine ones on eBay. But this is a massive improvement...even if he is a poop slinging monkey.

9. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Looks absolutely brilliant, I've never gotten the fuss about this mold but you've really captured everything that's great about it.

10. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Lady Nickel?

News Credits:
    Incredible work there.

11. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Absolutely incredible!

12. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Something Ive always wanted to do.

And You have done it even better than what Ive could of done!
    Well done!

13. Lukelbs

Ebay:
    Thank you all so much! The positive feedback really means a lot to me!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Lady Nickel?

News Credits:
    You're welcome.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SHADDO

SHADDO Arashikage Decepticon

You've definitely done a fantastic job correcting the laziness of Hasbro's otherwise lackluster product. I too have this monstrosity of a figure, but happily, I did not pay the ridiculous retail price of $150 for a figure that honestly isn't worthy of $20.

The "transformation" is at best basic for such a large, overpriced figure. So much so, that it's difficult to even tell much difference between his beast and bot modes, and then the stupid electronics on top of everything else that's wrong with the figure.

I don't even LIKE Beast Wars/Machines all that much really, so there's absolutely NO WAY that I'd have paid the ridiculous retail price for a 20th Anniversary figure of this dismal level...especially not for the original retail version.

Now, with all that said, and my general disgust out in the open...I DID, in fact, buy this figure, MIB, unopened, but for next to nothing, like your sister. When it comes to the BW/BM stuff, I really don't care for most of it, but sometimes I will pick up a few decent ones that catch my attention, such as the G3 Waspinator, Rhinox, and scant few others, including this Optimus Primal.

My criteria for buying certain of these figures is simply that they MUST have an excellent robot mode AS WELL AS a better than average beast mode or it's a fail. This one, while quite basic for what it is, was at least a nice looking, albeit very blue and red, gorilla, with a "passable" bot mode...and most importantly, CHEAP. I would pay $15 bucks for this figure, no more than $25, for what it is...20th Anniversary or not.

Still, it's not a good figure before even taking it out of the box, and even as cheap as I got it, I kept the receipt for almost a month before I truly decided to keep it as part of my G3 collection. Even right up until I saw this very custom, I was wondering if I really wanted to keep it afterall.

I'm happy to say, however, that your incredible work on, dare I say it..."transforming" this crap figure into an incredibly COOL looking and awesome figure has inspired me to keep this thing and follow your example by doing some serious painting to make this guy look like he belongs in my collection...(still removing the batteries though, because the electronic sounds are too incredibly dumb@$$ for words...). Seriously, you've done some incredible work on this thing, and I might actually like it a thousand times better now!

(See, Hasbro, if you invest in your figures a bit more and do great paint apps, it makes a difference! ...although I STILL wouldn't have paid the insane retail price, because that's just blatant GREED...)