Customs: Optimus or Ironhide

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by fateastray, Jul 20, 2009.

1. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Hi,

I'm ready for a new project, but I'm torn up between Voyager Ironhide and Voyager Optimus.

The only versions available are the ROTF versions.

I really dig Optimus' design, but the giant backpack is a turn-off. (If I get him, I turn him into Ultra Magnus with a wicked custom design)

I actually like Ironhide better, but the original TFTM Ironhide, I hate how the cannon on the ROTF Ironhide stores ONTO the car. Just like with TFTM, it takes away from the figure. I actually hate my JAzz because of the poor weapon-storage design.

So I'm leaning towards getting Prime, and find a TFTM Ironhide on Ebay or something.

I'm wondering what you peeps would rather get (considering or not considering my arguments)

2. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

do Ironhide, way to many primes in circulation anyway. :) 

3. Cody2003

Cody2003 Well-Known Member

Ironhide definitely. Voyager prime is a nice figure, but far from the best prime.

Weapon storage really isn't an issue for me. I would rather have a figure that is nice on it's own with separate weapons, than integrated weapons that force the design to make cutbacks to incorporate it. Even with that I actually like the look of Ironhide's (movie 1) guns on the vehicle. They fill out the bulk nicely. That being said they are kind of overkill. ROTFs guns are really kind of out of place, but it's completely worth having them for bot mode. If it really doesn't do things for you though Prime is a good figure.

Just my 2 cents.

4. fateastray

Thanks for the input. Yeah Prime is done to death, but I REALLY dislike visible weapons in ALT mode. Takes away from the 'Robots in Disguise'. So yeah, I think I'm getting Prime after all, and search for a TFTM Ironhide, which IMO is superior

5. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Yeah definitely Ironhide. There are too many Prime customs out there, but if you're gonna do one, might as well do the ROTF Leader. :) 

6. fateastray

Already did the Leader =P It was a success, but I broke one of his shoulderpads off, so I can't say it's a complete success..

Anyway, I just bought Prime. He just has more pro's than ROTF Ironhide. I'll search for a TFTM Ironhide soon, since that one's way better than the ROTF one, imo.

7. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

if the backpack bothers you, cut off a bit of the plastic where the pin that connects it to the body is, it makes it removable

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    'Ol Ironhide, fo sho!!:thumb 

9. fateastray

Actually, the backpack doesn't bother me that much. I love how Prime is so proportional.

I'm designing him, keeping the Ultra Magnus by CalCustoms in mind. That one inspired me to get this guy. I'm getting paints tomorrow, so you can expect a custom thread from me =)

edit: This is kinda silly. As a robot, Prime has a human passenger hanging upside down in his back. This looks really stupid. It's a useless gimmick to begin with.

10. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    Ironhide does really sound the best way to go on you next piece. I am with you on the new ROTF design, it's not as good as the TFTM with guns on truck bed.

But if you got your heart set on Voyager Prime. I wouldn't go with customizing him to Ultra Magnus. That mold suits Onslaught more than Prime or Ultra Magnus, with the back pack and guns of the back I feel that would be your best bet.

Here's one that was done a while back by Warmachine:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-images/radicons-customs/Transformers-Movie/Onslaught/

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    If you're going to customize him anyway, why not get the ROTF Ironhide? The only real difference to the TFTM one is the new head mold. Just take the guns off in truck mode.

12. fateastray

Yeah, but weapon storage is really important to me. Look at TFTM '74 Bumblebee. THAT's storage. Non-visible.

I could of course just take 'em off in Alt. mode, but I tried that with Jazz, and he just felt incomplete. It's a psychological issue, maybe! Fret not, for I know a guy who sells for low prices, from which I'll order a used TFTM Ironhide.

Btw, he ships internationally, and sells from EVERY line, new and used, for LOW prices. He's in the Netherlands, though, but I can really vouch for him. Very reliable and fast. When I broke my TFTM Leader Prime on day 1, he offered to refund it, without any problems. If there's interest, maybe I can make a topic somewhere.

Back to Prime, I LOVE how he can be disassembled SO easily. Few pins, a LOT of screws.

@Auceps Prime:

That's way cool, man! But with an Onslaught I couldn't make the paint apps I had planned. A white Truck is suited best.

It's not gonna be UM, since I only have decepticon Reprolabels, so he's going to be a Decepticon Truck, with white as his main colour.

The only worry I have, is with painting the white. Gonna get some thinner tomorrow, but I understand that painting white is a PITA. I got enough rubbing alcohol, so I can practise.

Hah, almost said enough to already make his thread in the Custom forum.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Gotcha! Either way, can't wait to see what you do. Now that I have my ROTF leader Prime, I may repaint my TFTM leader Prime to something else. Since they both have different transformations, that's pretty cool.

14. fateastray

Ah I get the chills with TFTM Leader Prime. I also get the Gorilla-feel with him. Always thought it was funny how his head gets 'born' out of his chest.

Are you gonna make a Ultra Magnus, so he can team up with ROTF Prime? That would kick-ass.

Funny thing about ROTF Voyager Prime: If you remove the front-grill, you can see the 'made in china'-stuff. It still says '2006'. Come on, Hasbro, a little effort, pls.

edit: In my previous post: "I know a guy....Which sells for cheap" -> who. my bad!

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I like both toys actually. Personally, I recommend getting a RotF Ironhide, parts swapping him with a 2007 Ironhide to make 2007 Ironhide the most screen accurate. This will leave you with a parts bot RotF Ironhide that you can have your way with.

I think the Prime>Magnus is a good idea as well :) 

16. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I say do both--Ironhide first though (seen enough Prime customs recently).

17. fateastray

Okay, I really prefer enamels over acrylics, since they're more durable, but acrylics dry FAST, so you don't have to wait as long to continue your painting.

I use Tamiya XF-2 flat white for Prime's body btw, works pretty good, especially for painting a white paint.

On to my question, is there a way to make the enamel paint (coal black, gonna be drybrushed) dry faster? I got my girlfriend's hairdryer here. Is that usable, or will the paint crack?

edit: I'm doing Gundam-style panel lines. Not sure how it would work on Movie Transformers in general, but Voyager Prime looks a little more Gundammy than other Movie Transformers.

edit2: I should be posting this in a new Custom thread, but I got no pics yet, and I can get suggestions and help here, so endulge me =)

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure about the enamels, but if you're looking for durability and quick dry time. I suggest tamyia's line of spray lacqures. They spray really smooth, dry quickly, and are very durable. I like them a lot. Also, check your pm's fateastray, I sent you a message about the ih gun situation you seem to be in.

19. fateastray

Read and replied to. Thanks.

It's time to make Optimus (Now: Sinister Magnus)

20. fateastray

Good news for me, not so intereseting news for you guys! I got Offroad Ironhide on sale with 30% off!

Wheeeh