Heavy/Scratch: Optimus movie accurate transformation model

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Stigcrafter, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Stigcrafter

Stigcrafter Andrew

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So, with the new wave of Movie figures and the demand for a good Peterbilt Optimus figure, maybe even one that isn't based on the RofT figures transformation (gasp), and because I like procrastinating, thought I might have a go at designing a movie accurate transformation for a new optimus figure.

I decided to do it in the most reasonable way possible, which was naturally with paper and Bionicle parts. I printed out orthogonal pictures of the peterbilt, and a render of Optimus that was scaled to be slightly more than 29ft* tall, compared to the 28ft truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then made a CCBS skeleton that was the same size as his robot, so I could cut up the truck pieces and stick them onto it.

[​IMG]

The first part I decided to cut up was the rear wheels, but that kinda turned a bit messy, because of the curves and 3D-ness of it, so I conceded and made a drawing instead:

[​IMG]

Like the movie the legs are in the cab, but only the lower legs will use parts from the cab in my design. The upper legs are just a shell, which the rear wheels and fenders fold into as shown. Still haven't designed how they attack to the upper legs, because they need to move past the lower legs, in they are folded up like this:

[​IMG]

Maybe the outer shell of the thigh can fold out to allow the wheels to move into place.

The next part I did, which is completely unrelated, is the grill, which I was able to do practically. The other main point of difference for this transformation to make it movie accurate, besides the legs forming from the cab, is to have the grill transform into the chest.

After cutting out the grill and attaching it to the chest, as well as the windscreen which is nothing special, I found I could flip the grill around, fold in the sides and use it to form most of the inner chest detail (as in it's molded on the opposite side, not it transforms into it):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last piece I did for this first update is the forearms. Well, a forearm. The main innovation with this is that the top of the hood rotates around to create the top of the forearm. The side of the hood just stays the same, and the rest of the arm is just the forearm model, with the only other bit of transforming being the fist folding into the forearm to leave space for the grill, which isn't made yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, that's a lot of words, and I'm not sure if any of them make any sense. Hopefully some make sense, and some of the photos are visible. I'll add updates when I develop more of the transformation.

*This project brought up a problem with Optimus's scale, which I'm sure I saw someone explain before, but I'll reiterate it. Basically, Optimus being 29ft tall works in terms of logic (28ft truck = 29ft robot), and in terms of scaling with other robots, both in movie and in toys. However, if you scale optimus according to the truck parts on him, like the windscreens, he ends up being way taller (I think that someone said it was 32ft). This not only puts him out of scale with most toys, assuming you keep his truck mode in scale with them, and puts him out of scale in most of the movies, but turing the truck into such a large figure is something I don't think even Peru-kill level black magic can achieve, at least while still having a movie-accurate transformation.

• Like Like x 8
  2. MachiniPrimus

MachiniPrimus A.K.A Machinimus

This looks interesting...

3. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Oh you will use the cab as the legs.
    [​IMG]
    Fantastic project.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Stigcrafter

Stigcrafter Andrew

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    New update time, and I've done the most important part, The legs/cab. cablegs?

Firstly I dealt with the feet, and made it so the actual tanks fold into his foot, and the toolbox turns into his heel bits:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I made up the rest of leg, which looks pretty good considering it was just done with some pens, scissors, scrap paper and tape:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for how they transform, I'll try to show it the best I can.

The first step is to reveal the back of the cab, which folds through the centre of the leg to form part of the metallic kibble on his shin. The outer panels fold out to allow it to be unfurled, then fold back under it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, on the outside of the leg the smaller blue panel (or the partially blue panel in this case... whoops) unfolds then folds the angular bit onto itself to form a sliver of the cab:

[​IMG]

Then it folds next to the bigger blue panel. The angular edge on the bigger panel slides down, and then the whole assembly folds down, creating half the side of the cab:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other part of the side of the cab and the roof of the cab (apart from a small part of it attached to the rear of the cab) does not actually transform into parts of the leg, it just covers up the upper legs in vehicle mode and forms his body in robot mode. That will be the next update, though.

[​IMG]

Finally the tank folds up from under the foot (and presumably the toolbox would as well... somehow):

[​IMG]

Ta-daa! Hopefully that was cohesive enough, even though it makes Rotf prime look like a flip-changer

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stigcrafter

Stigcrafter Andrew

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    New update time! I did a bunch of work on the chest, and I think it is looking pretty good, despite the fact it's missing his left side (I printed the left side of the truck too small and I haven't printed it out again).

[​IMG]

On the front of the chest I added the door, which is basically just like on the RotF Prime (if it ain't broke, etc.) and added a double hinge behind the windscreen so the hood bit can be better placed (the grill is pushed out a bit further as well, though you can't really notice).

[​IMG]

On the back of the figure you can see how the front half of the cab folds around to form the side of the body (minus the arm mounts), and the roof of the cab fold up and under the windscreen bits to form the head and shoulders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haven't done the back of the figure yet, which is ironic as it will form the backbone of the figure, with everything folding around it.

[​IMG]

Here's a dodgy sketch that shows how the body folds into the truck, with the hips folding back to allow the legs to form the cab, the arms folding forwards to form the hood, and the oil tanks/back kibble on his back folding forward slightly to allow room for the legs.

[​IMG]

Still doesn't show how the wheels fold up the thighs, how the wheel gets to the other end of the truck, how the grill gets to the other end of the truck or where the rest of the truck kibble goes, but I'll figure that out later.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Endline3464

Endline3464 Member

I'm looking forward to this!!!

7. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

What's the endgame here? Will you be 3d printing plastic parts or scratch building from styrene? Or is this essentially a paper model built around an armature?
    Interesting project, none the less.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Stigcrafter

Stigcrafter Andrew

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Admittedly I don't really have an endgame in mind, just trying to model how he transforms, and I'm using paper, tape and blu-tack to do it because it's the easiest way for me to model it. Who knows, though, maybe I'll end up making a proper figure, though I'm not sure my workmanship is up to that yet lol

• Like Like x 4
  9. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Maverick

News Credits:
    This is actually brilliant. I have a ton of those ccbs style Lego limb pieces and I love papercraft. I never thought of putting them together to put my ideas into physical form.

And the design itself is looking really cool so far. If it works out well in the end, I'd love to see the finished idea picked up by some 3rd party and turned into an actual figure.

• Like Like x 3
  10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pictures are broken :( 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stigcrafter

Stigcrafter Andrew

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ugh, seriously?

Update: So, Postimage is having an issue with their website, which is why the photos are broken. I don't have the photos anymore, so I have to hope they will fix it soon, or worst case just reshoot the photos.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, please take the pictures once more! I would love to see what your done with these mock-ups!!