Heavy/Scratch: Optimus Maximus WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Coldiron, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I want to get back into customizing. Its been a few years since I have touched anything and I have been collecting boxes parts since then. I have a huge list of custom concepts, but I wanted to start with something relative that would not be too hard.

When I first saw pics of Optimus Maximus I thought it was cool... but it was obviously lacking due to the hollow bits. My first thought was to make him an armor for Prime's optimus like some do with leader class movie Optimus and the Ultimate trailer. Once I finally saw him in person I realized he was too big to make an armor for my RID Prime. I am sure I could had done up PM style or something, but the armor would still be this block former with crappy alt mode.

I decided I will likely scrap the alt mode. Depending on the final match up, I may still keep it, but with an Alt mode this sad and lazy, it just seems a waste to even acknowledge it.

Here is the last pic of it before cutting it up. It will in a sense still be an armor, but hopefully it will actually be worthy of a title like Maximus.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Coldiron

Ebay:
    I have thought about making a mold of the head of this figure. Does anyone know if I put release agent on the helmet then cast a mold if I will be able to later paint the original head I use for this custom? I think the helmet might work well with leader class prime.

3. Coldiron

Ebay:
    And here is his donar skeleton partially prepped. I need to remove the rubber shoulder pads. They seemed glued, so maybe a heat gun will help them peel off. Then I need to pull the pin from his neck so I have a place to mount he new head, but that will likely be the last thing I do. I think I can use a solder iron to remove the planet parts from the legs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I didn't realize he was that big!

5. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very cool idea! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your progression on this. I've got a Unicron in nearly the exact same state as yours. I scrapped my initial plans for that Unicron, and haven't been motivated to do anything else with it, but doing something similar to this project is really tempting :) 

6. Coldiron

Ebay:
    I have 5 unicrons like this. My original plan was to take those and maybe one other to make a ginormous MP devistator. I decided I just don't have time for a project like that.
    Plus I have a few other projects planed for at least a couple of those.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

If your mold release is a non-silicone spray, then you'll be fine for paint later on.

However, if you are using a RTV silicone based molding material, no mold release is needed, and you'll be fine for paint later on as well.

8. Coldiron

Ebay:
    Cool, thanks. I think the head is the best part of this, and could be used on a lot of different customs.

The heat gun made the shoulder plastic pull off fairly easily. One part seemed fused to the shoulder, so I will have to mess with that some. It might get covered by the new armor, so it may not be a problem. I used a plastic welder to remove the peg in the legs.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see the results :) 

10. IcedPhoenix

IcedPhoenix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thread subscribed, continue my good man.

11. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    I'd just go wild on him, articulate as much as possible, then figure out a betteralt mode, then a suitable deco, possibly make him and an armada (or energon rodimus's mold, maybe even a modified junker energon fattimus) prime into nova prime.

he has potential, but the trick is figuring out how to use him.

12. Coldiron

Ebay:
    Progress so far. Nothing is permanent yet. Its just to get an idea of placement as I cut things apart. Been busy screen printing, working, preparing for my soon to be born daughter, and finishing my car project. So this is going slow.

The plastic is super soft and easy to cut. This so far has been done with exactor wood carving tools. I will break out the dremel once I get into the thicker sections. I plan on making the new shoulder pads fit over the current shoulders, so there is more cutting to do on that.

I need to also remove the ab section from the crotch section. This will have to be shaped some so I can keep the waist articulation. The shins should be the easiest, but the leg sides and back will need some planning.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Wow! those look really great together. Just anouther use for Unicron. :thumb 

14. Coldiron

Ebay:
    Just a little update. More cutting, and more removed from Unicron's body.

[​IMG]

I used the area that connected Unicron's head to connect the new one. I think I may drill the holes lower and add a faux neck. I think this system can give some good movement to the head. It can also allow for the dumb alt mode head gun thingy.

The leg will be a bit tricky. I will need to come up with something to make sure the foot can support everything.

1) I can use the whole maximus foot for the front, and make something for the heel

2) I can cut the maximus foot in half and use each bit on both sides.

3) I can use the maximus foot on the heel and make a new set of toes.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. maxlovesamber

maxlovesamber TF Addict.

News Credits:
    I'd say use method 1. Great work BTW!

16. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Any updates on this project?

17. Coldiron

Ebay:
    Hopefully soon. I am about to get back in my studio in the near future and back to working on my pile of customs. I need to finish my Metroplex first.

18. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Nice idea. I wanted an easy way to use this figure as armour for my CHUG Optimus figure. Hope it works out!

19. CaptainX1

CaptainX1 Well-Known Member

i think the fact that you're putting pieces over a unicron fixes a lot of problems with what could have been an awesome figure. optimus maximus looks like an unassembled model kit

20. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

OpMax was a pretty crummy figure, but goddamn did it have a lot of molded-in detail. I wonder if anyone's ever done a custom-painted version that brings out all the surface details?