Optimus Maximus Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ORIO, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Retrospex

Retrospex Plastiholics Anonymous

Looks alright enough to buy. How much is this thing gonna be?

2. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah those limbs are pretty suspect looking

3. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    Base former is win,
    forcing it to look like optimus is not so win.
    I see both an ultra magnus and primal prime in this thing honestly.
    At least they are finally doing some sort of base former......

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The thing is, after not doing baseformers for years do you really expect them to just bust out some no-name and sell him at that price? No. At least this opens up the possibility for more base guys.

6. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I so see the fettucini. :D 

Yeah let's see how far this one goes. Not holding my breath though.

7. Naztok

Naztok will work for gold chrome

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Two things confuse me.

1. Why are people shocked that they made Optimus Prime a city-former? It's not like it's never been done before.

2. Did people really think they were getting a Fort Max just because of half of this one's name? Did people have the same reaction when they saw the names that the Energon combiners were getting?

8. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would expect them to sell a no-name base that came with some cyberverse figures. Throw in an Optimus or Bumblebee and you'll get a seller.

9. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

I'm going to buy this just to show my support for cyberverse and city formers (WE NEED MORE OF THEM), but he will NOT be Optimus. I can't paint, but thankfully there's already a basebot who's mostly red and blue. So I'm gonna replace his head and call him Metrotitan. Maybe try and repurpose some other dudes as the rest of the Metroforce.

10. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    They can always do a head swap later and new paint scheme.

So doing Omega Supreme, Metroplex, fortress Maximus, etc doesn't seem all that silly really.

You can slap prime/bee etc on almost anything, make it red and blue or yellow for bee, and give it that head, then turn around put the base form into the intended colors for the original homage. It's an original creation anyway, so who would know the difference?

Definitely yeah on the 'test the waters first' idea though, but at the same time like Animated showed us, sometimes it's best not to waste that shot on something no one really wants. (Supreme class Optimus Prime instead of Omega supreme? Not smart at all but that's because of retailers wanting Optimus, not their customers who wanted the show bots. Hasbro has to cater through the gateway to reach the customer base, and that gateway sees Prime and BB as iconic and sellable.) Sometimes the homage will push merchandise to more fans, and if the toy is cool, kids will still want it on the merit of it being cool. We've also got G1 rerunning on the hub though, so the classic presence is more out there right now for homages. It's all about marketing and avoiding oversaturation of a single character. Though I do expect we might see some big things come from this later potentially.

So yeah, it could have gone either way for this guy.

Energon doesn't really apply here. They were used in show, and known to be used in show. They were still nods to their classic counterparts though(scramble city/gestalts). This could be used in show, and be an original character for the show. We'll see, but it's not unlikely to expect from a marketing standpoint the homage potential that could be tapped as well as sales potential to still push a product. (Parents to child, you already have prime why do you need another that costs that much? etc. It can be rationalized any direction with data probably. The problem is in stores who order it all. Their interest is in the mainstay iconic because it's what they recognize, not what they're customers recognize/want.)

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    blast... it's Optimus based, but i guess that shouldn't be too surprising, considering the name.. that said, i want to see better pictures before i make a decision...

EDIT: ooops, almost forgot to make the stereotypical overreaction post...

FUCKIN HASBLOW hates my life and wants me to fuck a cactus like it's a cats litter box! WHY DO THEY HATE US!??!?!?!

12. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Nonononono. You see, that would make sense. ;) 

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like it.

14. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    He looks pretty good. Though, his limbs look like they could be detached, almost like he's a cross between a gestalt and a baseformer.

15. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

maybe this is a test to see if City Bots could be made in a smaller scale nowadays. So, pick him up if you want to see Fort Max, Typticon, Omega Supreme, Metroplex, etc

16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Star Convoy homage. oh yeah. now that I see it time and again. OMFG. This is SO fucking bought. :D 

and lolz @ Lumpy's post. :lol 

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was hoping it wouldn't be a giant Optimus Prime, but in hindsight, this should have been expected. I'm definitely less interested than I was before, but at the same time I can't say I'm still not interested in him at all. I'll definitely be waiting to see better pictures of him. If this ends-up being connected to something in-show, that would certainly be a huge plus in it's favor.

However dissapointing the fact it's a giant OP may be, he looks to be filled with plenty of details, and at least some standard articulation. I look forward to seeing the base-mode, as if I were to get him, that's the mode I would most likely display him in (surrounded by Legions and Commanders no less). Might be worth it to get him, give him a new head, and paint him up as someone else, like Fort Max or Metroplex.

All in all I'm still glad that I'm most likely going to be going Cyberverse exclusive as far as Prime goes. Out of curiosity, are there any pictures out there of the rest of the page? or at least of the description next to the picture?

18. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    Ok... a giant BB would suck. I'm not happy with it being a Giant Optimus Prime.

I would have preferred if they did a Trailer that combined with Powerizer Primes vehicle mode.

I would have preferred if they made it a update to Armada Optimus Prime.

I really would have preferred if Optimus Maximus was a headmaster with Prime as the head, or had Optimus Pilot the City-bot.

And I really hope these are not the toy's final colors.

But my first impressions of this toy is unimpressive, I need to see better pictures that will need to wow me in order to change my mind, which is not improbable; I however do like some things on the toy.

19. Jacer

Jacer Find Kill Cleanse Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Looks pretty good. I can't wait for more detailed pictures.

20. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ooooOOOooooh

that looks rather cool

gawd im such a sucker for optimus <3 lol