Optimus in final scene

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MrSimCity, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MrSimCity

MrSimCity Member

Did it bother anyone else that Optimus seemed to be begging for his life after he lost one arm, just before Megatron shot Sentinel? Given how badass he's been the last 2 movies, especially this one, that seemed completely out of place and would kind of ruin it for me if that indeed was the case.

Thoughts?

2. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    I don't think it was begging for his life so much as he was begging SP to reconsider his actions. Optimus held SP in such high regard the betrayal was a huge deal to him, and I think even at the end he was still "in shock" that SP would actually kill him/go through with it. And I think Optimus' realization that SP would, in fact, kill him, was the final straw and why Optimus realized the only way to stop SP was to finish him off. I really believe that Optimus did not make the decision lightly (several times he tried to "talk" SP out of it), and not until the very end because it took him that long to realize there was no "saving" SP.

3. aman345

aman345 Well-Known Member

Final Battle

Did anyone like the fact that for a few minutes instead of Optimus normally fighting the films antagonist, all the autobots tried to take on Sentinel Prime. That really impressed me :D 

4. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I felt the same way. Optimus isn't begging, so much as he is attempting in some small way to make his mentor stop what he's doing. I could imagine the emotional feeling of someone you looked up to turning on you, attempting to kill you. Prime's 'No! Please!' surely beat a worse line like, 'I know there's still good in you, Sentinel!'

5. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I got the feeling he was trying to get SP to stop, not begging for his life.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, he cared not for himself, he was just desperately trying to get Sentinel to change.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Hmmm ... makes me think of the following famous line...

"You, who are without mercy, now plead for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff."

How ironic that movie Prime asks for quarter when he gives none. I never realized that until now.

8. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^ Except that he's not asking for it. He's trying to redeemn his mentor/father figure.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Except you're forgetting about the scene in DC when Optimus asked Sentinel to stop. This was AFTER Sentinel's betrayal.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Very true, I had forgotten that. Although I'm not sure I'd call his panicked shout asking :D 

11. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    At least it was shouting and not an attempt to immediately collect another head. :thumbs2: 

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I liked that. In a hilarious way, it kind of reminded me of the fight between Shredder and the Turtles in the original TMNT movie.

13. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    He was pleading for Sentinel's life... not physically, but idealistically. He wanted Sentinel to regain some nobility and admit he was wrong.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have a hard time believing that Optimus was pleading for his own life. I mean, he's been willing to put himself out there for the humans (especially Sam) on so many levels. He even "died" as a result of that very same ideology in ROTF.

So, I'm in the camp that he was begging Sentinel to reconsider.

After all, Sentinel even acknowledged that Optimus was the bravest of the Autobots, but struggled with making difficult decisions. A difficult decision for Optimus would've been enslaving the humans and harvesting the earth's resources to restore Cybertron. It benefits him and his kind, but it's at the expense of another species and planet, which Optimus can't allow himself to do.

He had to put Sentinel and Megatron down in the end, though. If he didn't, it would've been the same recursive cycle of Autobots fighting Decepticons, but that probably would've resulted in another movie. Damn you Optimus for killing everything evil in the universe.

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anytime Prime says "NO!" or thinks that he may be killed, it really always came across to me that he is afraid of the consequences that will fall on everyone else- if he dies there is little hope to stop the Decepticons/SP, and he doesn't want that. Prime has been shown in the movieverse to gladly die if it means saving the ones he cares about and wants to protect.

16. vatarian

vatarian Snide dame

Movie OP is a dick. Megatron saves his life, then puts out his hand to help him up, so Optimus takes the hand, then proceeds to decapitate his savior.

17. OCProwl

OCProwl Electrobot

News Credits:
    IMHO another difficult decision that Optimus struggled with was whether to finish SP off or not. It was almost as if SP was saying "You will never defeat me because you struggle with the hard choices" and then Optimus realized what he had to do. It was the last lesson SP had to teach Optimus...

18. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was either that or a recreation of the end of Hook.

M: After all Prime, what would you be without Megatron?

P: I want you to take your troops, and go. And I never want to see you on Earth again.

19. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

Can i just go on record as saying I'm a little sick of the "what would you be without me?" line? It's getting almost as cliched as "We're not so different..."
    But I digress.

20. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, certainly Megatron's intentions were pure. I am sure it had nothing to do with wanting to be above everyone else, and his truce had no attachments, like "so we can kill all humans and destroy Earth together."