Optimus Getting Hurt too Easily?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by PrimeFlo17, Apr 6, 2011.

1. PrimeFlo17

PrimeFlo17 Tunes

News Credits:
    I've been hearing this a lot lately in a couple of threads, and there are a few possible explanations for it.

1. Simple. He's old. *shot*

2. He...WANTS to get hurt? I mean, he's more than partially responsible for starting the war that ended up making his home planet uninhabitable, and his reasons for living are outnumbered by the things he should die for. I heard something similar to this on a thread somewhere, can't really find it. :v

Do discuss. This topic needs a bit more fleshing out.

2. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

So, Optimus is going emo on us?

jk, but I can't really tell why he's getting hurt often.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He did? It just... twice. Surprise tree to the face and electro-staff.

He's large and in charge, don't be surprise if Decepticon strategy is to take him down first.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I think it makes the show more realistic. If OP can't be hurt by anyone but Megatron there is no real thret.

"Oh look its the decepticons what can we do? I know, lets send in Prime he can't get hurt."
    "Ha you can't hurt me Decepticons I am Optimus Prime and I am indestructible."
    "Decepticonas fire". shoot bang zap. "Ha. You'r lazer just bounces of me."

That dosn't sound very interesting.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He's not superman, and he's not supposed to be. And he's been hurt twice, once he was hit in the face with a tree, then fell of a cliff, and still got up and overtook a speeding train miles away.

Second he got electrocuted in the neck, and still knocked his attacker away with just a wave of his hand.

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Even the best warriors have their moments of weakness. I'd rather he get hit every once in a while, rather than be perfect and NEVER get injured. The tree was a surprise, as he was distracted by Fowler, and he wasn't expecting Knockout's tazer-rod that first time (even prevented it the second time around).

7. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The guy gets sucker punched twice, and all of a sudden he's weak?

I will admit, it does feel a little bit like Beast Wars season 3 with Optimal Optimus, in where Primal was so powerful the writers had to find ways to take him out of the action so that the battles didn't feel one sided.

And we have the episode "Sick Mind" coming up in where Prime apparently is infected with a virus. That's not going to help this debate.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Unless it's like "Gorilla warfare" and he turns into an unstoppable killing machine.

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Robo-Jesus Prime is better left to the movies.

10. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Split-Lip: Which would prove interesting, especially if said virus doesn't directly piss him off, but force him into fever dreams in which he relives past trauma, which would piss him off when he wakes up, leading to a "Gorilla Warfare"-style rampage. Not only do we get character development via the fever dream, we get a rampage.

Of course, this is baseless speculation, but it is a possibility.

Brainchild: By Robo-Jesus Prime, I assume you mean an Optimus who is actually a deadly fighter?

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I love how you make total pansies seem like Chuck fucking Norris.

A tree to the face? Please. Electrocuted? Fuck, man.

I refer y'all to my signature.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Don't you mean "FUCKING FORDO, DAMMIT?"

Chuck Norris is a 6 year old girl compared to him.

13. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    FUCKING FORDO, DAMMIT is epic awesomesauce.

Back to Optimus...

14. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Y'know, if Prime was never taken down, some of us would be complaining that he's too powerful, perfect and boring and we'd never really be concerned for him in battle. Prime's the leader of the Autobots, but he's not invulnerable. If he can be hurt, then it makes the outcome of battles less certain for the Autobots and their situations can become dire. Remember the Autobots are always meant to be at a disadvantage to the more numerous Decepticons in this show, so Optimus is bound to take plenty of hits.

One could argue that if the Autobots are getting knocked down but still getting back up afterwards and fighting on, they're actually pretty tough.

About Prime taking the log to the face in the "Convoy" ep., remember it wasn't just that which knocked him out. He had a nasty tumble down a cliff too. He was bound to be hurt by that.

15. Brainchild

Nope, I mean an Optimus that shows very little weakness, and pretty much can't be completely beaten. It gets old. The scene in Prime with Optimus and Arcee accepting death in the Arctic was a lot better than his death and subsequent revival in ROTF.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Movie Optimus showed weakness. By the end of the battle he was a wreck and visibly exhausted. It showed that he wasn't a superhero, just really friggin' motivated that battle.

And look at the end of the first movie. Megatron just knocks him around.

17. Brainchild

Yeah, but if you look at it, the only real reason he gets thrown around and damaged is to make his victories look all the more cool. Bringing him back from the dead was the ultimate move in making him look invincible.

18. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

You can't win with this fandom. If it's not one thing it's another.

I've all but lost my will to argue. If someone pisses me off too much, I just put them on my ignore list and pretend they died.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Personally, I give it a free pass because Sam brought him back with the Matrix. He didn't come back himself or anything.

Unless the Matrix pops up in DOTM, I don't think he has any more extra lives.

But we're sorta veering off topic.

20. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

Brainchild: Split Lip explained Optimus's "[showing] very little weakness" perfectly.

In the forest fight, Optimus was exhausted and staggering right before Megatron stabbed him in the back. During the first part of that fight, before Optimus whipped out his second sword, the Decepticons were actually winning. He was putting up a good fight, but they just kept smacking him from one 'Con to the next before blasting Optimus across the clearing. If you want to be technical, Megatron won the forest fight, even though Optimus came across as the biggest asskicker.

Edit: Paxtin, you nailed it. Many Transformers fans are some of the bitchiest people I've ever even heard of; they're like the stereotypical mother-in-law who harangues the husband: If the husband works hard to provide for his family, she says that he doesn't care about his family. If he spends more time with his family, she says that he's a bum who needs to work harder. The whiny fans are the same way. They don't trust Hasbro/Hubbie to do anything right, no matter what reality shows them. Reality doesn't intrude on these peoples' lives very often.