Optimus full transformation clip

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Jun 20, 2014.

1. tonyformer

tonyformer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @ Scorpio.

And this is why I said people need to look at it in slow motion frame by frame. And this in not a full transformation, because when the vid starts, his arms are already half out.

Anyway, if you look at it frame by frame its clear that his front wheels slide out (like Bees did in stealth mode) in DOTM vs the dreads. And then they pitch (turn) inward. At that point his arms come out from behind the wheels and the cab does a crazy hunch back like move and his arms pop out from (under the cab) rotate and extend out ;) 

2. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Yes this. The doors open as his arms come out from under the truck and the arms slide back toward the doors before coming back down and the doors close.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trust me I've went through it frame by frame several times and while what you are saying does occur - the arm covers the door and due to the doors length their is no way it could pass his shoulder pads or upper arm joints.

Cheating is natural with the Transformers - its just more noticeable here because rather than distracting us with something epic and having something move in the background like the prior films. It instead distracts us with something up close and then plays around with manipulating other things that are also close-up and centre frame.

I know that the door swings open then closes, however when it closes it must glitch through the shoulder pad which is blocking the area where the door goes to.

4. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

This transformation is better.

[youtube]_aPZBFYQUmw[/youtube]

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    OK, well at first you said this:

Which clearly isn't the case at all.

As for the shoulder pad issue, I watched the clip several times, and to me it looks like the door and the shoulder pad move in unison (the door is swinging shut as the arm piece is being shifted forward in space). Plus, you have to remember that Optimus exists in 3D space, so the shoulder pad section could be "out" further that it seems, leaving space for the door to quickly shut.

This is not to say that the door doesn't commit a slight CG error by catching some of the arm/shoulder pad as it's closing; ILM does unparalleled work, but they do make mistakes (I've already found one CGI mistake in AOE so far). But as for the intended Transformation sequence in this clip, I don't see any blatant cheats as of yet.

6. tonyformer

News Credits:
    @ Scorpio. As it was said, when his arm comes out from (under the truck) the door swings back and open. His arm actually pushes the door back into the cab and when his arm comes back forward, the door slams shut. His shoulder does not pas through the door but hits it backward. You must not be watching the same video as I am. Or you can't slow it down enough. Not harping at you bud but there is no arm passing though the door.

7. AnonymousUser

AnonymousUser Well-Known Member

^ As much as I agree, the whole truck grille disappears into his chest in the last bits of his transformation, but at least there's no cheating going on :/

8. RazorX3000

RazorX3000 Cybertronian Monkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tony instead of saying: @Scorpio, why not just quote his comment and snip it if it's too long?

9. tonyformer

News Credits:
    Because I'm currently on a phone and its hard to do all that on this phone.

10. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

I don't see any real cheating with the AOE transformation, but this one... How the hell is the legs transformation not cheating? The front wheels suddenly appear on his feet from nowhere...

11. BluRayHiDef

No they don't. You can clearly see the parts form around the front wheels and form his feet. Watch it a few more times.

12. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good to know I'm not the only phone user! :lol 

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've watched that scene, and every transformation from every movie, more times than a sane person should.

And no, the wheel just appears on the ankle. All the movie designs cheat the transformations in order to have the characters assume poses once finished. Rarely you'll find outright clipping, but the only thing that makes AOE more "cheaty" is that less truck parts are visible upon completion. However the same general idea of parts appearing in places that logically shouldn't be possible is true of every movie. It's just something that happens when you need the characters to assume poses. At least with the movie designs the shear amount of moving parts makes it hard to immediately notice.

14. Promoney121

Promoney121 Well-Known Member

My lord, honestly...it looks freaking cool...you have any idea how long it would take ilm to get every single nut and bolt, part, etc to transform? I think it looks cool, and 99.99999999% of people watching the movie will feel the same way. And not analyze if this part goes into this part...every cartoon that predates all the movies have the shittiest transformations ever......

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  15. BluRayHiDef

I don't agree. When I watch it, I can clearly see the parts form around the wheel to form his feet. The wheels don't move relative to the other parts, but the other parts move relative to the wheel, forming his ankles. Based on my assessment, that transformation uses ZERO cheating.

16. RazorX3000

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jesus Christ it's just a transformation! Calm down please!

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Really? Because that's an outright fabrication, because the models do cheat. They always have.

Also, you see the parts that form the feet come out of nowhere, and it doesn't change the fact that the wheels just appears on the leg.

You can disagree all you want, but it's fact, admitted by ILM and plainly obvious to just about everyone that the transformation cheats. Hell, what about after he jumps and he's got a huge amount of the front bumper and grill on his stomach, and it literally dissapears off-screen before he lands?

It doesn't mean the cheating looks bad, but it's there.

18. BluRayHiDef

The parts around his feet don't come out of nowhere, but shift from the positions they were in while he was in vehicle mode. I've watched this scene countless times.

Do the following to see for yourself: Watch the scene one time - or as many times as necessary - to track one particular part of your choosing, because tracking multiple parts simultaneously is difficult if not impossible. Do this for as many parts as you want and you'll see that the transformation makes sense.

19. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Transformation cheating has been around since Transformers started. No biggie.

20. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It isn't cheating, but there is a lot more mass shifting involved with Op's transformation.

With the past 3 films, the size of the vehicle mode reflected the size of the robot mode, with not much visible part shrinking or growing.

Here however i am noticing parts shrinking, which may give the impression that they are cheating it, but really they aren't. The mass shifting also explains Lockdowns size, and the fact Crosshairs is bigger than Bee despite a Camero being bigger than a Corvette.