Optimus: De facto Autobot leader or just a commander?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Transformed, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I ask this question because of what we saw last week in Loose Cannons.

Wheeljack acts as though he doesn't know what or who Optimus Prime is, and when he finds out he refers to him as commander. Not like the one and only commander, but a commander on the battlefield.

Are there other Autobot leaders out there and do they hold a rank higher than Optimus'? What does this mean for the Matrix? Do all Cybertronians see it as a symbol of leadership or just Optimus and his crew?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I'm pretty sure Optimus is the Supreme Autobot Leader, much in the same vein as Megatron is the Supreme Decepticon Leader.

The big picture is that Autobots have been scattered all over space, and Wheeljack's probably been out looking for them for so long that he kind of forgot what Optimus looked like.

Also, you might want to get your thread title fixed.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus is the Prime, so I guess Wheeljack's lack of respect for comes from the fact that the past Primes have all been petty shitty corrupt assholes.

He thought Optimus was one of those because he hadn't met him before.

4. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It won't be too much of a surprise if many of the Cybertronians that see Optimus will wonder if they should still follow him.

If we look at it; the Cybertronian government is gone. Optimus no longer has an army behind him. Optimus can hardly provide anything of value to many Cybertronians.

The difference between a king and a beggar is that the king has a kingdom, the beggar has none. Optimus no longer has a kingdom.

5. megapork

megapork Cheese

Thread is now resolved. Kudos, Bro.

6. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    This.

And this.

7. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think it's a combination of Wheeljack not knowing we was given the matrix of leadership as well as his experienc with past commanders.

Interesting that based on that last fact I mentioned, did Ultra Magnus some how abandon his wreckers or do something to merrit sme distan from wheeljack.

Interesting topic that was started here.

8. kiko315

kiko315 Well-Known Member

Which opens the question why Bulkhead left the Wreckers and eventually joined up with Optimus' squad. And if Breakdown was a former Wrecker, then why didn't he notice Optimus, who's the Supreme Commander the Wreckers eventually answer to? (unless I'm grasping at straws with that last one...)

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Supreme leader. And there must have been at least a few million Autobots during the war. I doubt he met everyone.

10. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    Ultra magnus? He wasnt in wfc

11. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    In the first episode, after they found Cliffjumper's horn, Optimus Prime said about only five of them had remained on the planet. And not a word about all other "Brothers".
    Might be, he knows nothing about anyone of them, since they all had come their separate ways.
    Commander or not, he has no clue and no influence on anyone of them - they are on their own, and it is possible, that many of others would react just as WheelJack did, because except the Matrix, Prime isn't a ruler for the whole Autobots or Transformers course. He has done nothing, as far as I see. He even hasn't found New Home, regarding Earth being occupied by humans.

12. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    when was it mentioned that breakdown was a former wrecker?

IMO TFP doesn't follow the th WFC continuim. for example, in WFZ starscream know about dark energon and showed Megatron where it was and he asked himhow to yield it. In TFP, Starscream didn't seem to know what it was in the first episode. Not to mention in WFC it was announced Optimus Prime was the leader of the Autobots and everyone who evacuated would have know cuz Prime gave the evacuation order. Wheeljack doesn't seem to know much about Prime. There's a few gaps that don't really line up.

13. kiko315

kiko315 Well-Known Member

14. DepthWave

News Credits:
    I do not remember seeing it mentioned, but there were the suppositions in the thread with the meaning "What has BreakDown done to Bulkhead".

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what I originally thought, but I'm really beginning to think he's just a commander, perhaps the last commander.

Wheeljack saying that he wasn't one of Prime's people and Optimus stating that the Wreckers took on jobs issued by Autobot command that no one else would do leads me to believe that he's just a commander on the battlefield, and not the one control who issued the orders the Wreckers answered to.

Wheeljack likened Optimus to other commanders he had come into contact with in the last episode. If Optimus were the top dog, Wheeljack should have known about it, as Optimus would have been the one issuing the orders the Wreckers carried out, and let's not forget that Optimus became a Prime before the war started—he traveled to the core to undo what Megatron started, which was the beginning of the war and the death of Cybertron.

Seems odd that he would remember Bulkhead, but not the guy who stood up to Megatron, no?

Personally, I don’t see why any Wrecker wouldn’t respect Optimus, as he’s the guy that would take point in the most dangerous of missions. Maybe this is why Bulkhead decided to follow him in the first place.

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll contact a mod:thumb 

I suppose this is possible, but weren't the Primes gone before the Optimus and Megatron came onto the scene? I thought Wheeljack was referring to the folks on the council, the ones who tried to protect their rule when Megatron defied them.

Quite true. But Optimus does hold something of value, In fact, what he possess is so valuable that Megatron himself vowed to claim it no matter where it is. Optimus holds the key to revitalizing their world once the war stops and a suitable supply of energy is found—the key to Vector Sigma as well as the Matrix, which is the heart of Cybertron.

Optimus received the Matrix before the war started, so I would assume that it was common knowledge that he had it. He after all, in the books anyway, is the one who named the Autobots, the folks that fought against Megatron, and still do to this day. Wheeljack wears the insignia of the faction Optimus created. The novels and Transformers Prime may not be 100% the same, but they do appear to be more in line with one another than not.
    We’ll have to wait and see if Ultra Magnus is even in this version of the Transformers, and whether he’s the same guy or not; will he be the head of the black ops group known as the Wreckers in this continuity or just a city commander like he was way back when? Are the Wreckers even the same characters this time around? I know little about them (aren’t they a new comic book creation), but I don’t recall ever seeing Bulkhead or Seaspray as members in few pictures I’ve seen online showing the Wreckers.
    Indeed.
    If Breakdown wasn’t a Wrecker, I think he was once a builder with Bulkhead—since it was stated by Bulkhead that they have a history. Perhaps Bulkhead became an Autobot and a Wrecker because of the things Breakdown did (wonder if their story is a new take of Omega Supreme and the Construticons).

But surely they would have all known him. Megatron wanted Optimus’ head on a trithyllium platter, I think he would have plastered his face all of their halo net, not to mention that when the order to evacuate Cybertron was given that Optimus would have done so himself.
    This is why I wonder if he was one of many commanders and not the actual head in this continuity.

The Autobots were united in their fight against the Decepticons. Wheeljack, Wrecker or not, still fights Decepticons. I figure all other Cybertronians that still wear the Autobot insignia still do as well. Why wouldn’t they want to follow Optimus’ lead? Being a Decepticon or an Autobot is a choice. …that said, I suppose following Optimus is a choice too, but if you weren’t behind him, why not just be factionless?

It wasn’t. It is what Bulkhead said during Breakdown’s first appearance that makes some of us wonder if he was—Bulkhead explains to Miko that he and Breakdown have a history when she inquires about the Cybertronian who just tried to kill them in the episode with the Engergon Extractor.

16. DepthWave

News Credits:
    Because it wouldn't work with Decepticons. And, maybe, you can receive Autobots help, if they are nearby.
    Paying tribute to Cybertron.

17. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't it already established in Prime that being a Decepticon is a choice? Now, Megatron wouldn't stand for it, as he feels everyone should follow him, but we can't ignore the fact that after Cybertron went dark that Airachnid went her own way and she didn't consider herself a Decepticon until being brought before Megatron, when her freedom quickly vanished.

And let's not forget the Decepticon's former second-in-command, Starscream, who is now faction-less.

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Check the DS version. Grimlock, Dragstrip, Cliffjumper, Cyclonus, Hot Rod (called Hot Shot), Motormaster, and Dirge were also in the DS version.

19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    That make sense. I mean he may have only known Sentinal Prime longer then he has ever heard of what Optimus is really like. Bulkhead seems to understand who Optimus really is and what he stands for and that's why he joined Team Prime.

20. DepthWave

News Credits:
    Transformed, how does it supposed to be linked to my message? I do not see any contradiction.
    After reading your reply several times, I have a conjecture that you might took it wrong.

I wrote, that if a Decepticon meets Autobot, then a Con wll hit a Bot. If a Decepticon meets a "less", I suppose, that the result will be the same. Which leads to the point, that being "less" will not help you, somehow...
    And I think, that Autobots are patriotism-prone. Why should all of them remove Autobots Marks? They went sepatare ways, but it doesn't mean, that they wouldn't like to meet each other again, to unite, somehow. Not all, but some of them.
    If your fraction has died, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't like to save some spirit of it.
    Those are Decepticons, not Autobots. I think, there might be a difference.
    StarScream tried to join Aurobots, before he got "less". Then, he kinda joined MECH.
    It's not like being "less" is that common.