Optimus' Arm

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Overlord Balder, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I was thinking, what if the wound caused by Sentinel permanently damaged Optimus? As in, he permanently lost his left arm? the damage was too deep to be fixed without putting his life in jeopardy or something.

I think it would be remarkably interesting to see him with his arm missing on the next movie, it would add a bit of a chronology to the trilogy [seeing a permanent change caused by the previous movie] and shake the image of Optimus being invencible while ALSO making him ten times more badass [even handicapped, he can kick ass and take names].

Also opens room for some drama if wanted ["I am no longer the Prime I used to be..."], with him growing tired of the war after all the shit that he had to put up with [his arm being the final reminder].

BESIDES, it would be sick to see Optimus fighting with one arm only.

What do you guys think?

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    You're asking for a level of storytelling this franchise is not capable of :D 

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wouldn't make sense to happen in a universe where Starscream can just slap his arm back on after getting it cut off

4. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I doubt it was fixed, considering Ratchet wasn't much of a medic at all in the movie trilogy.

5. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Megatron and Starscream had their arms ripped out and had them reattached (screamer) or got new arm (megatron), so optimus can always get a new arm, or get his regular arm reattached

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's possible. The arm came off at the torso, unlike Starscream or BB who lost limbs at the joints. They should've rounded out the City of Steel homage by having him transform and have a hole in his truck nose. Now that the war is over he may not need a new arm. He might be inclined to relax now with the missing arm serving as a war wound to remind him of all the sacrifices made to achieve peace.

Except for when he put Bumblebee back together after TF1. I seriously doubt the self-regenerating armour can regrow legs.

7. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

Sure Optimus can regrow the arm or get it reattached, but that's not the point the OP is trying to make.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I cant see any narrative reason why he couldnt get a replacement arm or a repaired arm that wouldnt be inconsistent with what we've seen for other bots, especially given it would probably affect his transformation to be missing that arm.

It'd be nice to keep awareness of it in the storyline though, maybe have Ratchet ask how the new arm is working out, or have some new technology built into it central to the plot or maybe just some funky new weapons for face-taking.

Or they could go in a messed up direction with it and give him a gun arm like Megatron and have the film be about the already homicidal Prime getting crazier and more violent until his moment of realization when he just looks at the arm all like "Primus what have I become". That'd be interesting I guess.

9. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If the repair to Optimus' arm is anything like Bee's legs from TF1..in the novel it was a government skunk works that helped provide the materials needed to replace Bee's legs--as he's complete at the end of TF1, so I'm sure the same skunk works can come up with any materials needed for Prime's arm before another movie starts filming.

Yay!!! He's magically repaired! :D 

10. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    I thought it would be interesting if the arm was reattached, but that it didn't function properly most of the time. Causing Prime a ton of frustration.

11. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

That would be interesting.

But there's one thing to consider, they're robots, they can just rebuild the limbs they lost in combat or re-attach them like Starscream did in ROTF. Just putting it there and it going back in place.

Besides i'm pretty sure with all the fighting he's done on Cybertron he's probably lost his arm a couple times at least.

12. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Considering they never even explain Bee's deco changes between films, I'm sure they're not too worried about explaining how he gets fixed.

13. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Yes, but wasn't Sentinel's sword made of some magical metal? It could have affected the limb.

14. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

like inspector gadget?

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Seeing how a wounded, cowl-wearing Megatron hiding in some god-forsaken wreck of a campsite in the middle of nowhere didn't really do anything for the narrative, I seriously doubt Optimus living without an arm would affect anything.
    Personally, I loathe how Optimus killed Megatron with only one arm, and would very much not like to see him slaughter even more Decepticons despite such a handicap.

Besides, they aren't going to build a truck with a gaping hole where Optimus's arm is supposed to be.

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    You know, I can't help but agree that this would be a pretty neat idea/detail in any future films, but...

Yeah. This was my initial thought as well... and well then there's this...

Exactly.

17. bonycrushy345

bonycrushy345 Well-Known Member

I'd rather have him a small, deformed, artifical arm than no arm. Or a gun arm, but that wouldn't work well.

18. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  19. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The arm will be fixed eventually as we are talking about Transformers movie,anything can happen

20. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

am I a horrible decepticon for laughing at this?