Optimus and Megatron’s relationship

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Mar 12, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Although it was only hinted at, I enjoyed the fraternal relationship given to Optimus Prime and Megatron in the TFilms (which had never been seen before). The relationship put me in mind of Moses and Ramses, both princes who ended up becoming antagonists and tribe leaders in their own right. The thing is, it should have been highlighted more.

In the first film, apart from the classic banter between Optimus and Megatron there was this statement: “You left me no choice, brother...” It was a tragic reminder of what had been lost to both of them: Cybertron, their friends/relatives, their own relationship, and finally the AllSpark.

In ROTF Megatron refers to his brother “Optimus” rather than his more common “Prime” statement implying they were close to each other personally (keep in mind that the Prime Dynasty, of which Optimus and Megatron were members, was brought into focus in ROTF).

However, in DOTM most of the relationship seemed to have been brushed aside. I say “brushed”, because it wasn’t really removed but rather avoided (the tie-in comic FOUNDATION has Sentinel Prime favouring Optimus Prime as his successor over Megatron, which did not sit lightly with him...). They seemed to be back to old rivals again, with Megatron having corrupted his “father-figure” into betraying his brother and then himself, and then back-shooting him for what he did (which is kind of freaky if you think about it).
    It would have been nice to see some proper allusion to their relationship (Megatron going full Tai Lung on Sentinel: “Whatever I did, I did to make you proud! Tell me how proud you are Sentinel, TELL ME!”) and of course a more fraternal last word to Optimus (“Who would you be without me... brother?”)

Please don’t think I’m talking out my butt, I’m aware that the TFilms are loosely linked together and that much of it is a convoluted mess. But still I kind of see things absent from DOTM that appeared in the other two TFilms.

2. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I think that their relationship is why Optimus was so hesitant in using overwhelming force to completely eradicate the Decepticons at an earlier time. I view the Autobots as using force only when needed, like in the stand-off scene in DOTM between Ironhide/Sideswipe and the dreads.

Ironhide and Sideswipe would have allowed the Dreads to escape, which is still puzzling in itself.

I also believe that Ironhide's death drove the point home with Optimus Prime, and was the singular reason for his statement in Chicago, " We will kill them all."

I think Optimus was finally pushed over the edge with Megatron's crap, and decided that the time to end it all was then and there.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I don't feel the "brothers" relationship like Xavier and Magneto, I see the relationship of people who were once friends, but are no longer: They don't like each other anymore, not even a little, but they still value each other's opinions highly enough to have a chat while they fight [if you pay attention, neither of them have battle banter with anyone else other than each other, excluding Sentinel].

They never had the kind of the relationship you're describing, they were merely foes who hated each other, but held each other highly enough to allow a conversation to take place.

Just look at their banter:

"You still fight for the weak, that's why you lose!"/ "Humans don't deserve to live!"

"They deserve the right to choose for themselves!"

"THEN DIE WITH THEM, join them. IN EXTINCTION."

Neither is trying to be friendly with each other, they are trying to prove each other wrong at all costs, the fact that they bother to even try shows they were once friends: They care for each other's opinions, even though they hate each other and have an urge to prove their deadly enemy wrong.

Same goes for ROTF:

"Isn't the fate of our race worth of a single human life?"

"You'll never stop at one, I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON."

Optimus is not giving a damn to Megatron's life [as he shows later], but he makes it clear that he is completely wrong.

In DOTM:

"Who would be without me Prime?" Once again Megatron demonstrates the whole "urge to prove his nemesis as inferior on argument" thing, to any other character, Megatron wouldn't have said anything, but to Optimus? He just had to prove him as inferior on a discussion, he just had to.

"Time to find out." Optimus basically says here "I have no idea, NOW DIE."

It's the fact they bother to even argue [something neither of them do with other foes, like Optimus to the Fallen, or Megatron to Jazz: They just scream "I WILL KILL YOU" in colorful ways in those fights] that shows they respect each other, but other than that? they hate each other's guts.

Now, Sentinel and Optimus? That's more like what you described, mentor and apprentice still trying to overcome the fact they're now foes.

4. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Suddenly, awesomeness.

5. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    This is probably a pointless post, but I came in here expecting an image of Optimus' Facebook listing him as "Its Complicated" with Megatron.

6. ninjadolemite

ninjadolemite Well-Known Member

haaaa

Awwww bless em. :p 

7. Soca Taliban

Soca Taliban Well-Known Member

lol
    This post is full of WIN!!

8. lugNUTS92

lugNUTS92 Wrecker

This made me love the Transformer movies just that much more :bay  I guess if you look at it all this way then it's not such a steaming mess of randomness.

9. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Hard to grant you the first part of that after you throw out the second part.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    If their was one. I don't think Optimus would have sliced Megatron's head off.

11. Megatronfangirl

Megatronfangirl MegatronFangirl

i totally agree with u, i think the reason Optimus is so hesitant sometimes to use brut force on the decepticons is because he wants to try to change Megatron his brother, to be sincere they could hav put more of the relationship in the movie, but maybe they'll put in TF Prime. I like how u used Xavier and Magneto as an example :) 

12. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

my only problem with optimus and megatron's relationship is, that optimus does not even say megatron's name in ROTF and DOTM, its like they were strangers

13. Atlas42

Atlas42 Banned

It really annoyed me that Optimus didn't act that surprised to see Megatron alive again in ROTF.

14. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yet another opportunity the first movie setup, that the sequels wasted.

These are great action films, but the plot, interpersonal relationships and overall soul of the characters is very thin and absent from most of the movies.

Really sad when you see the mostly universal love Sentinel Prime got... one wonders how much better the movies could have been if all the characters were treated with such care.

15. StacyGrsley

StacyGrsley Banned

[​IMG]

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This. And I'm sure Bay cared about Sentinel since he was get Leonard to play him. He didn't want Leonard to feel like the charecter was a waste of time.

Meanwhile he seems to neglect most charecters. I just ask then why bother with so many charecters if you just don't care about them?

Other than to sell toys.

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something that is present not only in the films but also in Prime I notice is how implied and pre-established the Prime/Megatron relationship is. It brings a sort of classic-ness for older fans to come right back to these two who have been mortal enemies for years but you don't necessarily get to see the relationship develop further. Animated I felt squandered a great chance to explore the beginning of this great conflict because it only really got to it at the very end. The Orion Pax saga in Prime helped to push this but I really want to see these early days fully explored in television/film. I think the ROTF Defiance Prequel was one of the best attempts at this.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Have you seen the s**t that Optimus deals with in the movies? Probably nothing much surprises him anymore. What's that? Another Decepticon attempting to take over the world? Yawn. Another giant death machine ripping through people? Regular Tuesday. :p 

This.

But I almost like that Sentinel gets his time to shine moreso than the others. If both Megatron and The Fallen had been as well executed (HAR!) in the movie as Sentinel, then Sentinel wouldn't have seemed like that big of a deal. "With everyone super...no one will be."

19. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

That would explain a lot; it's like each movie is a regular TF series season finale.

20. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    :lolol  I had no idea why I burst out laughing when I saw this post epic win!

But on a serious note I would've have loved it if they did developed the relationship between Megs and Prime maybe not as heavily, but maybe enough to feel that we know and can some what connect to that kind of relationship in what we could've seen in the film to actuality.