Optimus a bad leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

It's gonna start with a huge build-up, just like this:

Arcee: Optimus, Airachnid killed my friend! Y U NO LET ME AVENGE THEM?!
    Optimus:...
    Ratchet: Optimus, Bulkhead broke things that I NEEDED!
    Optimus:.....
    Bumblebee: BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP F*CKING BEEP.
    Optimus:........
    Wheeljack: Optimus, I drank too much Energon last night and I threw up in your room, hope you don't mind.
    Optimus:................
    Bulkhead: Optimus, I think you wear red-and-blue too much. Ever consider a new paint-job?

:bay 

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Sometimes you drive to a mall and someone just happens to pull out of a parking space right in front of you. You look around and you can see dozens of cars backed up in the various aisles of the parking lot who have been circling and waiting for spaces for a quarter of an hour. It's not fair but that's not your fault. And despite the inequity of the Universe, it is not inaccurate to say that you have parked.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Man I can almost imagine the epic rant:

To Arcee: AND MY BEST FRIEND IS NOW MY SWORN ENEMY, AIN'T LIFE A GLITCH!

To Ratchet: THEN PUT YOUR FUCKING TOYS AWAY!!

To Bumblebee: SO HELP ME LEARN TO USE EMAIL OR SOMETHING

To Wheeljack: I'LL MOP IT UP WITH YOUR ENTRAILS, SCRAP FOR BRAINS

To Bulkhead: *Shoots with canon*

Then he transforms, and drives away humming Orinoco Flow.

4. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

:lolol 

I seriously need to write a fanfic based on this; thanks for the assist, Gordon 4 :D 

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The Orinoco Flow part is the perfect capstone to this beautiful scenario. :lolol 

6. toaster

toaster It's Hip to be Square !

And it would be GLORIOUS !!!!!!

7. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

NO

That is all...

8. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Which is a damn good argument for him being a shitty leader.

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I'm sigging this.

10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I love Jethro Gibbs as much as the next man (Seriously, NCIS is awesome) but if I was going to base Optimus on another character, it would be:

[​IMG]

George Cowley of 'The Professionals' (centre). Here is a quote of his:

And basing two of the other Autobots on Bodie (right) and Doyle (left) wouldn't exactly be a shit idea either.

11. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That would definitely be an awesome Prime.

One I would like to see would be an Optimus based on Liam Neeson's character in Taken
    (minus the scene where he shoots the collaborator's wife in the arm - that was the only flaw in a near-perfect movie).

Seriously: Bryan Mills (Neeson's character): I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

I could easily see a retired Optimus, formerly a badass veteran of the Great War, now the captain of a small transport ship, a la Firefly, setting out to rescue his crew from slavers, only to find out that the slavers are part of a larger Decepticon resurgence.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm overjoyed to see that someone else agrees with me about that part being the movie's only flaw.
    Yes, I know, her husband was working with the enemy. But she didn't deserve to be shot.

13. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

So am I :lol 

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Hey, IDW, your new TF series pitch is sitting right here.

Brilliant idea :D 

I'm never sure if I want to consider it a flaw or not. Certainly the wife did not deserve to be shot, even if it was a 'flesh wound'. On the other hand, Bryan's daughter is edging closer to sex slavery and this is clearly a notion he disagrees with. He is getting angry, unhinged and unpleasent to the point of deciding that if shooting an innocent woman will allow him to stop his child becoming some bastard's body pillow the its a price he pays gladly.

Still, Taken is a top fucking flick.

15. Honorbound

Ebay:
    Nachtsider: Exactly why it's a problem. I prefer to ignore that part and just enjoy the movie, since it's such a small part of it. We don't agree on a whole lot, but it's good to see that there's something we can agree on.

Gordon4: Thank you very much: I'm going to have to remember that pitch for a possible fanfic. I think that could have been a third ongoing series for IDW, especially later on, as Optimus tries to both rescue his new surrogate family and ensure that Megatron doesn't return to threaten the new Cybertronian society.

16. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

To be noticed as well, Bryan almost sounds like a Retired Supervillain when he mentions his old days as a "Preventer" [Just witness the sheer calm on his face as he says he used to rip off people's fingernails, then the infection would kill them slowly, he talks about that in the same way I would talk about buying some Cola]. This man is retired, but kidnapping his daughter essentially meant kicking the monster loose again, he will take down the eiffel tower if he needs to [as Bryan himself says].

On Optimus himself, I always thought some traits of the movie interpretation would be nice [not the pragmatism, for the more I enjoy it, that's too controversial]: Outside, a strong, imperative leader who keeps the team together with his strong image. But inside, he is actually tired of fighting, and deeply affected by the loss of so many lives back on Cybertron. Show him as a Broken Hero who is is strong when others can't.

17. Honorbound

Ebay:
    That's what should have been done with TFP Optimus, and what I and a whole bunch of other people were expecting at the beginning of the series, and why I think so many folks are ticked about his "Epic Cardboard" persona: we filled in the blanks with something we thought would have been great, and we got let down.

Or maybe it's just me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No

19. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I think that the scene would've worked fine with Bryan merely threatening to shoot Jean's wife, and Jean complying with his demands after witnessing said threat. In Besson's probable desire to make the scene gritty and edgy, I think he went overboard and nearly turned Bryan into a monster. But yeah, I think we're going off-topic; feel free to shoot me a PM or a visitor message if you feel like discussing Taken further. :) 

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    :lol 

I can totally see Optimus narrating every single thing he does in that manner. All the time.

:lolol