Optics

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Trip2boy, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Trip2boy

Trip2boy Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I've been thinking over the past couple of days: what the hell is up with all the different optic colors? Why do all the good guys have blue ones and the bad have red? So I came up with a theory. Feel free to debate it lol.

Transformers optics theory:
    Blue- standard good color for all Transformers
    Red- Fully corrupted, also for beasts
    Purple- Corrupted, but salvageable
    White- Neutral, lean good
    Green- Neutral, lean evil
    Yellow- Fully neutral

FAQs (that I asked myself)-
    Q: Jetfire has red optics, but he turns good?
    A: Due to age, Jetfire has lost the ability to change his optics, along with many other abilities (I mean, he can barely transform)

Q: What about Wheelie?
    A: Due to optical damage received in Revenge of the Fallen, he is unable to change his optics color, despite joining the Autobots

Q: What about Quintessa?
    A: Being “The Great Deceiver” and a literal god (“the Prime of Life”), Quintessa has mastered the ability to keep her optics under control, allowing her to deceive even Optimus into believing she is good.

Q: What about Strafe and Scorn?
    A: While the Dinobots are beasts like Ravage, Laserbeak, and Dragonstorm, based on this theory they modified their optics to appear “friendlier” at some point in time.

Q: What about Frenzy?
    A: As a spy extraordinaire, Frenzy has to keep a level of cover, hence why his optics appear blue like the friendly Autobots. It ties in nicely with Barricade having a police car as his alt. mode of choice to deceive trusting humans.

Q: What about Mini-Slug? Why are his optics green when the other two have blue?
    A: My guess, based on the theory, is that he has yet to commit to a side. He does seem to be a bit behind in the “development” stages of Transformer life, I guess. Mini-Grimlock and Mini-Strafe are seen learning how to do new things and doing small jobs for Cade, respectively. Meanwhile, Mini-Slug just gets hoisted around all day like a little fat baby.

Q: What about Rampage and Demolishor?
    A: My guess is (as they’re clearly not neutral) that they modified his optics to be yellow either to strike fear into the sparks of the Autobots or (at least for Rampage) for some mission where he had to go undercover. Probably the former.

Q: What about Alice?
    A: Same reason as Frenzy. Spy extraordinaire.

Q: What about Devastator?
    A: Devastator, being a horrifying amalgam of Constructicons, has a very simplistic brain, which does not allow him to consciously become evil. However, he is formed by such malicious beings that, although he is technically neutral, his spark is so turned that his optics are rendered green like Lockdown, signifying that he leans towards evil (obviously), even though the choice is subconscious.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

While the original cartoon had in the first season established blue optics as good/Autobot, and red as evil/decepticon- anything beyond that seems more dependent on the writer in charge or what looks better with the character design than any specific philosophy.

If I were to hazard a guess, in Bayverse one could suggest originally all Cybertronian optics were red, and changing to any other colours was an effort to define the self in some special role within the larger community. This probably was started with Prime's starting to develop blue optics (sentinel, Optimus) and when war broke out it became a faction marker, as most technical/support roles had started using blue optics as markers, and warriors tended to prefer not wasting energy and resources to alter themselves... Other colours likely sprung up as the desire for further individualisation did.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    I've always figured it's just the equivalent of a uniform.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Insurgent

Insurgent Well-Known Member

I see it as eye colour. Like humans. It's just what colour their eyes are. I'm more interested to know why Prime has a voice bar that moves on his teeth when he talks.

5. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :deadhorse: :horse: 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Much like all the good robots looking normal, and almost all the bad robots looking like monsters, and the fact that Decepticons will often times communicate in English in private despite no clear reason to, the coloured eyes is just for the audience's sake/stylistic choices for the characters.

Personally I prefer more varied eye colours myself. Hell, in BW there were more good guys with red eyes than the bad guys at one point. I also think eye colour should compliment a design's existing colourscheme.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Some robots need to clean their optics and so they get red and irritated and itchy and that's really hard to deal with, you can't see right and it stings sometimes and you have trouble sleeping and so you get angry and tired and do bad things sometimes.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Burnout00012

Burnout00012 Studio Series Devcon when?

Explain Longarm, Incinerator, Stockade, and Dreadwing. :p 

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Kyber crystals being used to fabricate robot retinas.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Galva Prime

Galva Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're looking for an in-universe explanation, then there's not much to go by; it could be coincidence or maybe that certain types of Cybertronian happen to be created with certain eye colours and just happen to be exactly the same type that are drawn more to one side than the other (which if you go with the idea of them being created by aliens then it could well be that eye colour was used to distinguish military, domestic and industrial models).

In the real world it's just a shorthand to help identify the factions though there are many exceptions. Blue is a human eye colour so obviously appears more friendly, whereas red and yellow eyes in any media tend to indicate evil. However, Frenzy has blue eyes on screen, the dinobots have a mixture (Slug having a different eye colour in each mode), any red Deceepticons get yellow to contrast better (eg Demolishor, Rampage) or green (Devastator), though green was also used to distinguish Lockdown as being neither Autobot or Decepticon.

I think most, if not all of them have that. I always took it as being a speech 'organ', made of fine filaments that vibrate at whatever wavelength in order to produce the speech sounds, hence the waves being visible.

• Like Like x 3