Optibotimus Reviews: Transformers Dark of the Moon; Leader Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Reviews' started by Optibotimus, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Dude, have you actually seen the group vehicle photo posted several times in this thread?

2. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    People don't pay attention and go back through the older parts of threads :p  so here it is again...just for the "new" people...

[​IMG]

3. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    First off, thanks for that. It does make Ironhide look better.

[​IMG]

However, i do not think it's even remotely suppose to be that way. Ironhides head is attached by just a simple rotation joint. If you push too far, there is an opening and the head will completely fall off...

[​IMG]

Yes, doing that improves his look, but i wouldn't recommend doing it to be honest. With the wires and such there, it's too risky to play with too much. But saying that, when you do do it, while it makes the sounds not work, pushing the chest piece, which produced the lights and sounds similar to the lever behind his head, does move a little gear sort of thing that pops the battle mask up. So it's very possible that this is an intended feature...just possibly poor design, as i said, pushing too far will make Ironhides head come off.

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Is the head easily reattached?

5. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Also a lot of people have been asking about making him more squat to stand a little smaller next to ROTF Optimus. There is another problem with that, that i do honestly say i missed and i apologize for not catching it for the video review.

Ironhide doesn't have equal articulation in his knees. The leg with his dagger can bend several degrees more, at the knee, than the one with his little cannon. The mold isn't identical from side to side.

[​IMG]

You can see that the plastic is molded to bend at the knee at a much better angle. Bending it at a bigger angle will allow you to get more of a squat look. However the other leg is different....

[​IMG]

As you can see...there is a diagonal piece of blue plastic that when you bend the knee, the leg won't bend as far. In fact, because of that diagonal piece, the ratchet jointed knee only bends down one notch. Meaning you cannot equally bend both knees to get a symmetrical look and have a balanced, squat look. You can probably cut that piece of blue plastic to make it more symmetrical, i haven't done it, and if anyone does gets this guy and decides to do it, please let me know how it works out.

[​IMG]

6. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It was a bit of a pain for me...but i'm "special" haha. I was more worried about damaging the wires

7. HAIL_KING_PRIME

HAIL_KING_PRIME Well-Known Member

I've seen the pic, from that angle and point of view it lessons the size difference and if that is the only picture you go by then yes the size is close to correct . but photo's can be deceptive

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I can't remember if it was BotCon or some toy fair but supposedly there's not gonna be leader Decepticons this time.

9. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Great review as always. But how does the scale look with voyager Ratchet?

Oh, and I think the cat hates Ironhide. :lol .

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yup! thats how i judge the scale too

and as far as the Autobots go its pretty easy to keep an approximation of that scale with the toys!

here's what i have

Optimus Prime - 32 feet tall - ROTF Leader

Ironhide - 22 feet tall - 07 Voyager mold

Ratchet - 20 feet tall - 07 Voyager

Bumblebee - 17/18 feet tall - Deluxe

Jazz - 15 feet tall - 07 Deluxe

and they all look AWESOME together :D 
    i'll have to snap a pic later :p 

11. BlindWolf

BlindWolf Member

seems an ok figure altho wot is up with the arm kibble?!?! and horrible back pack which does really fold up or do anything. could they not have made the arm kibble joint on to the back instead of the arms and have it all fold alway nicely. would that have really be so hard after what they'll done with rotf leader prime and screamer, ironhide looks alittle basic compared to them.....

I may pick him up if hes on clearance but personally I'd prefer to pick up a red repaint of the deluxe version then this guy. for a start its move involved transformation :D 

12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Awesome review for an awesome figure! I will definitely be watching more of your reviews in the future. It's nice to have a reviewer who uses more words than "nice" and "neat" a couple times then the review's over. Very thorough!

As for Ironhide himself, THIS HAS JUST BECOME A MUST BUY FOR ME. I was on the fence since it's out of scale, but thanks to your review I see that this is just too goddamn good to pass up.
    Yeah I might be doing that as well. His regular face looks almost identical to the battlemask version, but painted and it doesn't stick out.

13. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Actually, in terms of perspective shots...that one is going to give the most realistic view in terms of the size. It's high and from the top. You don't have to worry about forced perspective or anything like that. I have friends that have personally stood by BOTH real life vehicles and they confirm that the size, in vehicle mode is how displayed in that picture..

and for people going on about the size. I just decided to figure out the math (thanks to the help of my girlfriend since i'm math ******ed)...If we go by the real life 32 inches ILM lists Optimus as and the 22 inches they say Ironhide is...to be in proper scale, in terms of the toys and inches. Optimus is 10 inches tall, Ironhide would have to be 6.86 inches tall to properly scale to the "real life" counterparts. I still don't think that's horrible since the Ironhide figure itself is 9.5 inches in height.

14. mfic99us

mfic99us Stunticon

Ebay:
    Wow, just when I thought I wasn't going to get excited over the new movie figures...:p 

I am just going to have to pick him up, along with Shockwave. Another great review (even with cat-fail:lol )

15. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, the scale's closer than that. I know there are a lot of conflicting sources for Optimus' height, but more of those sources point to Prime being 28ft, with Starscream at 31ft and Megatron at 35ft. Ironhide usually remains consistent at 22ft, with Ratchet at 20ft and Bee at 16ft. If that's the case, he's even less off, which I can certainly live with. Now please, Hasbro, a new Voyager Ratchet mold and we're all set.

16. Optibotimus

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The conflict comes from Bay saying he's 28 feet tall, whereas ILM's Scott Farrar says he's 32 feet. I decided to use the higher of the two to demonstrate that he isn't too terribly bad out of scale. Obviously if he's only 28 feet, he'd be closer to Ironhide.

17. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

:cry :cry :cry :cry 
    If the this Leader Class Ironhide is marketing Ironhide because he's going to get killed by pathetic SUV's like people are speculating I will genuinely start bawling my eyes out in the theater. Great review though!

18. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Um, IH1706, I don't know where you heard that, but I think the main cast will survive, at least until the final battle. Don't get all worked up.

19. Starscream217

Starscream217 You will address me as LORD Starscream...

Great review Paul, cannot wait to get my hands on this figure by far the best looking Movie Ironhide ever made. I have the premium from back in 2008 and i thought that was a great figure now this will be a great addition to the Autobots! I would like to see Hasbro take a crack at either Ratchet, Shockwave, Blackout/Grindor or Megatron (dotm) for a leader class toy but who knows.
    I can't wait to see what we get in future releases! :)  but damn that head sculpt is awesome!

20. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    There's been a rumor going around, although I think it's more speculation than anything else. There is some evidence for it. For example, Ironhide's vehicle mode was noticably absent from shooting the scenes with the big convoy of Autobots. Also, every movie character that has gotten the Leader treatment has been killed at least once (I think Bee is going to be the exception because they gave him a Leader spot because OP would be taking the "Ultimate" spot). Finally, the scene from the Superbowl spot with Ironhide taking on the two Dreads alone. Speaking from the stand point of a writer, if they wanted to make the Dreads really menacing, you show them taking out the biggest, baddest supporting-character good guy you can. That means Ironhide.

Like I said, this is ALL speculation and the evidence ranges from really flimsy (the Leader class=death thing) to the OK at best. I think if any Autobot is going to die, it will be Ironhide because (like I said) he is the biggest and badest. You take him out and the danger increases a whole lot more!