Opinions on whether ebay prices have been affected by TFTM

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

And how if you think they have.

The general sense would be that prices would increase due to increased numbers of buyers, namely old fans who've 're-remembered' g1 transformers due to the movie impounding TF back into everyone's mind.

A fellow tfw2005 board member though (sorry forgot who) aptly pointed out a few months back that this TF-awareness-raising could also make lots of potential sellers realize what they've had in their attics/closets for the past 20 years and that now would be a great time to sell them, and thus that the general trend of $^ should not necessarily be assumed.

I lurk around ebay often enough, and I'm not sure what to make of the movie influence yet. What I do feel, some (G1) auctions have been going for out-of-ordinary prices, perhaps more so than usual. I still see things going for decent/average prices (thank you complete devi with card backs for $50), but a higher frequency of over-the-top selling prices, and on these auctions the prices usually get quite high quite fast (to me, a sign of amateur bidders, who end up bidding their upper limit with 4 days left, and then still wanting it and bidding double their upper limit by the time it ends).

Here's one, $80 for a moc brawl (seems more like a high mosc price to me), I'll look for more but I think I deleted some (sunstreaker 90% complete for over 100?):
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160129345395&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Observations? Opinions?

2. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

How about this, a complete wheeljack(no box) for $313 shipped?
    It has the unused sticker sheet, but still, the price is way out of the line.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/G1-WHEELJACK-Transformers-100-COMPLETE-VERY-RARE_W0QQitemZ230144560267QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this is also a way overpriced sideswipe
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Transformer-autobot-sideswipe-great-shape_W0QQitemZ140130840565QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4696QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Overall I haven't see a general increase on prices, sometimes there're spikes here and there. But most of the auctions I saw ending up with reasonable prices.

3. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it might jump the prices up alittle. i think its alittle too early to tell right now. alot of people(non tf fans) want to see the movie, but i dont here alot of people talking about the toys. it may just stick to us old fans and little kids. who knows, but it really only matters how many people want a certain toy at certain time on ebay to start a price jumping trend.

4. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Indeed. And it's crazy how random that can be.

5. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I only collect G1 so those are the only prices I can comment on. I have noticed a good increase in price over the last two months. I have sold stuff in the last two months for twice the price of the same item I sold 6-8 months ago. Or maybe its because I am getting more respectable as a seller :wink: 

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330126474054

In one hand I hope the prices climb so my collection will be more valuable but in the other I hope there is a surge of fresh toys (from attics, storage, etc) so I can get better quality at a lower price to complete my collection.

6. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Personally I think when the movie hits everyone is going to put their toys on ebay, and its going to flood the market. I don't think too many new fans are going to start spending a fortune on old toys, I think most new fans will be kids and maybe some old balls that will get back into collecting.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

8. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Wow, $91 for Astrotrain!, you must have been happy.

9. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

The Movie seemed to help a wee bit.

Swoop were goin for 80-100 pre-movie I believe, granted some characters have been overlooked, but overall.... I believe the Movie has brought N00b attention and vet alike together again...as Im sure some of you can see on this forum even. lol. *points at himself*

But I have noticed a slight dip in sale's in the last Month.

where alt mirage was tipping at hitting 80 dollars he's back down to 60.00 and up

and Ive seen also reissues has lost the climb in some.

Epay has brought the wealth too in a large way and should not go unnoticed.

Whats up with that astrotrain tho. dam.

I do not believe people will all of a sudden sell thier toys tho.

But maybe Im wrong and the time IS now. (for sellers)

Someone asked me a long time ago..."what is the most oldest thing you own?" I didnt really OWN anything for a long time lol...I thought "my "Computer" lol....I love this hobby and Ive never really "collected" anything. But Im hooked on these. If someone could make a "Ebay Self Help Thread" Id be the first one to post lol.

10. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

11. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I've noticed prices going up for highly recognizable charaters, but have also seen them slide for other characters as of late. There also has been a rise in items with ridiculous opening bids, because people haveno clue what things are worthand are just tryingto cash inonthe movie craze. The stock of TF's has also skyrocketdin just this past week. Normally there is anywhere from 6200 - 7300 TF'son eBay at any given time (more onthe week-end). When I checked yesterday there was a high of almost 8300! I think that there is a good possibility that because of that the non OP, Ironhide, Jazz, SS, Grimlock, Megs, and Soundwave types will continue to drop until the craze dies down.

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

13. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    what is knock off about that box? please enlighten me on how that box is fake.

14. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Maybe it's not but he calls it with a 'new box' in the title and it seems nice n mint like one of the new KOs would be.

Even if it weren't, $500 for mib soundwave, with over a day to go?

15. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    thats the first canadian boxed soundwave i have ever seen, you may have gotten it confused with the euro/hks soundwave reissue.

16. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

For me, I've tried test auctions with TFs over the years and it was pretty bad before the movie news hit the mainstream.

You usually had to do Buy It Now options to make sure you weren't giving them away for a buck a pop.

Now, I have many more watchers, questions, and bidders on my auctions throughout the week. Any auctions I have that begin 'Transformers...' is doing better than I expected. Not like its a pound of raw crystal meth on sale in a prison washroom, but...i sense I've said too much.

17. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have noticed that when I click ending today on ebay for transformers there are 5-10 pages as compared to last year.