Opinions on Transformers Headmasters Master Force & Victory

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CURAMEN, Dec 23, 2009.

1. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about buying these on DVD to view for the first time.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about... Headmasters / Master Force / Victory

Any opinions from anyone who has watched it already?

Is it worth getting or should I pass?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    My opinion?

I hated Headmasters. Masterforce was a lot of fun. Victory was fair.

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto. I really liked Victory though. Star Saber is my fav Autobot/Cybertron Leader after Optimus Prime. The only thing "good" about Headmasters is the bad English dub. It's funny.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Victory was awesome. The others were alright.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters - best described as a "guilty pleasure". The G1 cartoon if it was produced in Japan. Monumentally stupid at the best of times, but it's hard to deny the appeal of seeing the G1 cartoon cast come back for another go-round, and the fact it's got a continuous plot arc keeps you coming back, at least.

Masterforce - Great show. Probably the best Japanese-produced Transformers cartoon going. Great, well-balanced characterisation and top-notch ongoing plot; only a viewing challenge if you can't deal with the odd, un-Transformery base concept of the series.

Victory - a quantum leap backwards after Masterforce. The heroes are without personality and completely interchangeable, and the villains (while funny) are a non-threatening joke. Very little variance in plot for the first half of the series and no real arc made this one an absolute drudge for me, and easily my least favourite of the three. There's nothing here but Burning Justice (oh, and to be fair, one of the top five greatest Transformers battles ever)

6. Autobot1000

Autobot1000 Daddybot

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    headmaster....watch the japanise version with subtitles...the dubbed is just painful

Masterforce...a decent series.

Victory....quite good

all in all worth getting

7. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

8. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Headmasters is boring.
    Masterforce is one of the best Transformers series ever made. It ranks up there with Beast Wars. Why? Once you get over the weird concept (humans wearing TF armors in Masterforce and Transformers turning into organic animals in BW) all you have to do is sit back and enjoy a great piece of TF storytelling.
    Victory has all those weird character designs that I absolutely love, but it's a poor show. It has the best battle scenes in the TF history, though. The final fight between Saber and Deszaras is the best battle scene EVER.

9. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

i don't know, i enjoyed headmasters but still haven't been able to get thru masterforce. it somewhat ignores the plotlines in headmasters, the main characters eventually cede to powermasters and become irrelevant, and the similarity of ginrai's transector to optimus prime is weird. in the dubs, they even call ginrai "optimus." i haven't started victory yet.

all in all though, it's worth having as it's part of the g1 transformers history we never saw on tv stateside.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, you can play Region 2 DVDs in a PC by changing a setting? Which setting is that may I ask?

Because I would certainly like to see some of the Japanese G1 shows, just to say that I've seen them.

11. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Do a little Googling on how to change a DVD players region code. You find the device in Device Manager, enter the Properties and if you're lucky, you'll be able to manipulate the region code. You only get to do it 5 times before it locks out permanently.

Back on subject, I would highly recommend you buy these series. Masterforce is the best of them all, but the others are enjoyable as well.

I would recommend that you watch the Headmasters in both English and English Subtitles, so you can see how horribly wrong the dub is. It's actually quite funny at times.

12. ChopperByrne

Should just have to right click on your disk drive icon in My Computer and go to properties. There'll be a setting for region in there.

I used to keep my PC set to Region 1 before I got a multi-region DVD player.

13. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with most of the opinions here...

Headmasters is great because it continues the US characters.

Masterforce is great because it's got wonderful characters and characterization.

Victory is great because we see tons of G1 toys/characters that we never got in the US.

So in general, they're great, but like the first 3 seasons, there are bad episodes sprinkled in...

14. ChopperByrne

Oh and that official boxset has Zone on it too which is a bonus.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Alright, thanks guys. I'll be sure to do that.

Now to start working on getting the Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory series. Most likely just going to watch them in Japanese with English subtitles. If the Headmasters dub is as bad as everyone claims, then I probably won't bother watching the dub.

16. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    Thanks to everyone who provided their opinions. :thumbs2: 

I just purchased this set and I look forward to watching it. :popcorn 

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I am the Decepticon's ninja consultant!!!

(aka: be sure to watch the sub, not the dub. Or, even better, watch 1 ep with the dub, so you know why you should watch the sub :D )

18. Obi

Obi rhymes with epididymus

This just about nails it, though I have some slight differences of opinion.

Headmasters is terrible, the worst Transformers show I've seen. The plots are dumb (although to be honest, that fits in with G1), Daniel and Wheelie are still annoying but now ever-present, most of the cast is pretty boring.

Masterforce is the best of the three, but I think it drops off in the second half. They don't use the Pretender concept to its full potential - a lot of the time the Autobots just seem to be hanging around in their base in human mode for some reason. Why not show them interacting with society more? And in the second half it sort of just becomes the God Ginrai show with a whole bunch of episodes devoted to the Decepticons trying to kill Ginrai or Godbomber over and over again while the rest of the cast just acts as supporting characters. But it picks up again at the end, and it has a really interesting and different base concept, so I quite liked it.

Victory was a huge disappointment because I went into it having heard so many great things about it, and then it just turned out to be...nothing. The first third of the series seems to just go back to the standard old "Decepticons steal energy!" plots except with even less variety in terms of how they do it each time, and Deathsaurus's ultimate goal seems kind of lame in comparison to other Decepticon leaders'. The characters are also either unlikeable (in the case of the Autobots, who are almost ALL the "stoic warrior" type) or just stupid (half the Decepticons are extremely dumb), though there's a few standouts - Hellbat and Leozack in particular, and even then Leozack is just a knockoff Starscream. But the animation is really nice and there's some good battles in it.

19. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

Dug them all. Headmasters for me is the true ending to G1. Masterforce was really fun even if it did leave unanswered questions about where it fit in the grand scheme of things. Victory is fun.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ah yes. Please, for the sake of your own sanity, do not even think about watching the dub. It will destroy your mind.