Opinions on Target's new stockroom policy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Sage o' G-fruit, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Let's hear 'em.

For clarification, the new policy is that employees can't go back into the stockroom to get TFs anymore, to "Give everyone a fair chance" at them.

My opinion: This probably won't work very well. Target only puts out shelfwarmers. Nobody buys those, so their shelves are constantly clogged, and no new product can be put out. Second, what if your employees are scalpers? Then they can just go get rare toys, sell them on eBay for high prices, and get paid for it.

I don't know if I'm being illogical or not, so let's hear what you guys have to say about the policy.

2. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

From a philosophical stance it's impossible to give everyone a "fair chance" in reality.

That said I do not like it one bit. I KNOW that one of the employees at one of my two Targets is an active scalper and this is going to become a problem if the policy takes root.

Your right about them putting out shelfwarmers; why do they do that almost religiously? You can talk to the nicer ones and find out that they have all the new guys in the stockroom but do they put them out? Not for a few months most of the time (if they are even still back there by then >.>)

Honestly what Target needs to do is just order less stock period, that way they actually sell through what they have instead of keeping those pegs toasty all winter. (Thus preventing the need to stalk the stockroom.)

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Is this just Transformers? If so, then I'm rather meh on it unless you're trying to get an exclusive. I just hope that this doesn't affect my DCUC collecting.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i have mixed feelings if it works like they want it to then Great but im afraid its not going to and im already displeased with the closet target to me as i can never find their exclusives in stock.
    If there aren't any employees that are scalpers at a given store it might actually do some good but if there are it leaves them wide open to get all the good stuff before it ever hits the shelves.
    To me scalpers who get what they sell from where they work are the lowest of the low as they get them cheaper than retail due to employee discount.
    I know most store policies bar employees from reselling the stuff they buy but its hard to enforce unless they go straight out to their car with the stuff after their shift and sell them out of the trunk right there in the parking lot!

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This is news to me and to be honest it's completely stupid.

Target is a retail store - your friggen job is the customer. As a person who has worked in retail for a few years I know the "rules" of retail. If a customer asks for something (no matter how big of a pain in the ass it is) you go find it. If you even THINK it's in the stock room you better go find it.

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This policy, or one just like it, has been in place for years. If there's crap on the shelves, they won't go in back.. especially if its a "collector's item". They've lost a lot of business from me this way.

7. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wait, this policy has existed for a while? They went in the back to get me two Superions. Generally though, my Target has nothing past Wave 3 or exclusives. I usually have to go to Walmart or Kohls to fill my needs.

8. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

I think stores should put a "one per customer" rule on exclusives, the good ones are almost impossible to find. This seems like a step in the wrong direction, the scalpers can just pay the employees to buy the figures they want for them.

9. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    this is nothing new, it has been a "policy" for years.

What stores actually enforce it, is a different story.

If you act nice and say you saw the item online and want to get it for your kid, or nephew, or something...you can sweet talk them into helping you.

now if you tell them you want multiples, or a "case" it is different, but, if you are just looking for one or two, you have a better chance.

When they pull the "collectible" line on me, I say, "it's a toy for my kid, what do you mean, collectible?"

It's all in how you ask, in my experience.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    New? This has been policy around here at least the 6 years I've had a friend working the stock room.

They are however allowed to stock the shelves if there is sufficient room for more items. This is likely double-checked by their computer system, so trying to be sneaky and hiding figs probably won't work.

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This I can agree with.

12. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My local Target has never followed this policy. I got both my Superion and Bruticus sets by asking someone to go in the back and get them for me. They had no problem in doing so. I guess I was lucky and happened to ask a nice person.

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This policy has been in effect for a little over 2 years now. Not to say employees always follow the rules, but still. Not new stuff.

14. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    Same here.

15. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I've used the "website said" tactic each time I've gone in for any of thier exclusives, and its worked every time. The employees at Target seem to be hesitant to really help unless I mention the website.

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That's kind of irritating.

17. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

That's because unless you can give them some numbers to plug in to their little palm computers finding "That green truck." becomes way more time consuming for them. (I realize one could say Voyager Longhaul but for many of them that makes about as much sense seeing as how unless they work in the toy department they usually have no idea wtf you are talking about anyway >.>)

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I saw the same thing 6 months back gracing the Star Trek stuff.

And yet, I have never had a Target stockroom person say no to looking up a DCPI or finding an item for me.

It's just a matter of them trying to curb the scalpers. Which I appreciate. Yeah, it might sound a little elitist on paper, but until the day when a Target person tells me no, then I'm okay with them putting a piece of paper on the pegs.

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah this has been "policy" for a long while now. Hasn't stopped me from getting pulls on exclusives. I have four Targets I frequent in the Springs and they're all aware of the scalper problem, and they can distinguish me from them (mostly because I don't ask for entire cases of an exclusive).

20. Optimus Scourge

News Credits:
    I think that is why I don't get trouble, either. I honestly don't have to pull out the speech very often, anymore.