opinions on premiums

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan_seek, May 6, 2008.

1. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

i'v heard many things about these guys many many good and some bad
    i just wanted to ask those with any premiums what they think about them
    and if i should hold out and wait for them here in aus

cheers

2. Gouka

Gouka Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They aren't bad, but they aren't worth buying if you have their non-premium counterpart.

Basically:

If you have non premiums - Don't buy premiums.
    If you don't have non premiums - buy premiums.

The only premium figure I'd buy even though I have it's normal version is Barricade, only because the lettering on my normal Barricade is coming off.

3. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Premiums should have been the first release, they are so much better than the 'normal' one as far as color go. For the ones that I own both premiums and original, premiums is the way to go if you want one.

And like Gouka said, if you don't have them and want to buy some, get the Premiums.

4. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    I didn't have any movie figures prior to the premiums. I now have pretty much the full set (missing Premium B and DSS) and I'm delighted with them. I'm much happier with the mechanical workings of the figures (which obviously is consistent with the non-premium versions) but the paint apps are very nice imo.

All in all I'd give them a thumbs up. I think based on what I've seen, if I'd had the non-premium versions, I'd have sold them and gotten the premiums.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think premium Blackout is pretty neato.

6. transfan_seek

transfan_seek Well-Known Member

blackout is the one that put me off i have seen pics and scorpy looks kool
    but i like the originals colours better
    barricade i really want and maybe MAYBE jazz (id rather final battle jazz i want that gun)
    ironhide im hunting for

and on a side note final battle jazz : is he hard to find and when did he come out?

7. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I love my premium bunny ears, sword wielding Optimus Prime.

8. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

The Premium series is, IMO, somewhat iffy.

Jazz, Barricade, and Ironhide look much better than their non-Premium counterparts. But if you've already got them, don't knock yourself out. Optimus and Megatron are the only "must buys", mainly due to the new sounds, the new headsculpt on Prime, Prime's sword, and the new paint app on Megatron (which is why I didn't get leader Megatron the first time). Blackout is really disappointing. The white/tan color really doesn't fit the character at all. I personally would have much preferred the black from the regular Voyager ones. I may attempt to buy a regular Blackout and swap out the tan parts for the black ones, but keep the rest of it.

As a note, leader Prime and leader Brawl are the only characters I bought before the Premium series. So take it with a grain of salt.

To sum up:

Must buy:
    Leader Optimus Prime
    Leader Megatron

Buy if you want movie accurate paint:
    Ironhide
    Deep Space Starscream

Buy if you didn't buy the originals:
    Bumblebee
    Jazz
    Barricade

Good luck finding one:
    Metallic Ratchet

Consider passing:
    Blackout

9. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I have Metallic Ratchet, he's sweet! And I just got Premium Barricade in the mail, again sweet! I have Concept BB, but definitly want premium beacuse of the different head and the accurate paint job. I don't have Ironhide, Blackout or Jazz so I hope to get them too!

On Premium Optimus - I'd like to get him, I think the sound effect rocks hard, but I'm turned off by the missing flames on the hood. I know you can buy the stickers, but still. So I'm holding off, yes money's a problem too ... IMO The second movie will have these premium figure styles and Prime will rock hard w/ all flames included. I also suspect that the transformation will be more movie accurate i.e. arms will transform from hood not cab. Cab will be legs and feet. I have Masterpiece Prime I can wait.

10. crimbot

crimbot TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Is there comparison pics somewhere of premium prime compared with Normal Prime?? What are the differences between them, and with the upcoming japanese leader prime.. is he premium quality too??

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, the one's I have I like.

Premium Bumblebee was worth replacing my regular CCBB with if only for the head mold (not to mention I like the silver body color better for some reason).

Premium Prime is pretty awesome too. I know a lot of people don't like his new head sculpt, but I actually dig it. Also, his sword freakin' rocks... and it's detachable and you can swap either regular or Nightwatch Prime's gun onto the connector. So, Premium Prime can be loaded.

I've seen movie Megatron at work and I'm very tempted to get him. Don't have the funds right now though and there are things coming out soon that I'd rather have over him.

The others I'm pretty much not interested in getting. Ironhide is a big maybe (the new colors do the mold so much justice), but I've not been able to find one anywhere.

12. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

The only ones I think are worth a damn are leader Megatron & Deep Space Starscream.

13. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    The Voyagers are the only real premiums. The deluxes really dont look much better (they gave bumblebee grey instead of black plastic, ugh). And what they did with the Leaders is, at best, meh. Prime has a fugly face with bunny ears and a "power sword!!" and Megs is still a bad toy with nice bright pink fairy wings.

Ironhide, on the other hand, is ballseriffic. The accents all over his alt and bot modes are very well done. Same for Blackout. His brownish robot parts make him look like a giant skeleton that rose up from the desert.

The Japanese Classics, compared to the US ones, are less impressive. Megatron is really the only one that actually looks like a much better version of the US one.

14. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    They haven't hit stored over here yet, but I'm pretty sure I will be getting all of them.My only doubt is Blackout, the tan just looks out of place.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have Megatron, Ironhide, Jazz and Barricade.

Megatron blows the original one out of the water. The silver/gray plastic looks sooooo much better, and the wings are red now, not pink. Plus, he makes the transforming sound. If you only get one movie Megs, this is the one.

Ironhide has a very nice glossy black finish. The biggest difference is in truck mode, not too much extra was added in robot mode. Internet pictures do not do the figure justice. I had no desire to get him until I saw him in person.

The movie Jazz figure sucks. I think he is the crappiest figure and for some reason I have four different ones now (regular, G1, Final Battle and Premium). The premium one for the most part is molded in black plastic and painted silver. I think he looks the best out of the four. If you are playing with him a lot though, I would reccommend the regular one just because the paint looks like it would scratch off really easily. Lots of extra paint added in bot mode, looks really awesome.

Barricade is cool too. He now has all the tampos you see in the movie, plus he has the really wicked tinted windows. The police logos on the side are now chrome paint. His back window is also painted, much better than the original.

I am very happy with the ones I have purchased and can't wait to get Deep Space Screamer.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Premium Ironhide is gorgeous.

Premium Jazz appeared rather gorgeous when I finally saw one in person. XD

The rest don't excite me a ton, outside of Prime.

17. Darkscreamer785

Darkscreamer785 Waiting For The End

My opinion on the Premiums is....that they're a total waste. There not like buying a typical re-paint. They are BASICALLY the same exact versions of the same EXACT charaters with minor paint differences. If you missed out on the first waved then I guess these would be great. I see this as just a waste of money if your someone like me who has the entire first wave. I hate hasbro does stuff like this.

18. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If paint applications mean the world to you, you'd like Premiums. Otherwise they're not worth it.

19. Snkbyt

Snkbyt Autobot

I have Prime, Megs, Jazz, Barricade, as well as the original versions. I prefer the premiums over the regular versions just for their looks and nothing else. Especially in bot mode where the new paint makes all the difference (except barricade, he looks practically the same). Hasbro should have packaged them all in bot mode like they do with the leaders and exclusives. That way it would really showcase the new paint and appear much different than the regular version.

I don't play with them though. They sit on a shelf looking cool. If I did play with them often I can see the premium paint coming off or scratching pretty badly. Premiums have more display value but much less play value.

I wish Ironhide did not have that big logo on his hood, and the back was totally black like it should be. However he is one of my favorite figures of the line and when I find one without fingerprints or big smears in the paint I'll probably buy it.

Blackout is a pass for me though. That robot mode just looks weird with that light colored plastic.

20. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw the optimus and megatron premiums and i wasnt interested in the least.