opinions on powercore combiners

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jmc2915, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

i am a fan of the g1 based figures. that being said i recently acquired 2 of the power core combiner sets.

crankcase w/destrons - http://tfu.info/2010/Decepticon/Crankcase/boxed.jpg

bombshock w/combaticons - http://tfu.info/2010/Decepticon/Bombshock/boxed.jpg

i feel that these to sets represent the original combiner sets the best whether it be g1 animated style or actual g1 figure design.

does anyone else feel the same way or are these total crap?

to be honest i didn't really know what i was getting into when i picked them up and was a little disappointed in finding out the only transformers is the core figure and the rest where just drones. i wish now i would have at least picked up the rotf combaticon set but this will have to due until that set falls into my lap.

also am i missing a power core set that designwise represents the g1 figures as well as the 2 set that i was able to get my hands on?

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I like Powercore Combiners. I like 'em a lot actually. For what you get they're pretty awesome. Sure the drones don't turn into robots, but I actually like how most of 'em look. The repaints such as the Protectorbots and Destrons are pretty wicked, and then you have Grimstone and Steamhammer. I'm a fan of Mudsliner and his drones as well as the Combaticons.

The line definitely got better in the last waves, and it's a shame that it only stopped there. Heavytread was definitely the shining example of PCC done perfect.

3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They're total crap.

4. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

yeah the more i think about it the more i like the two i have. i think it would have been cool to see where the toy line would have gone since there are so many combiner set that have yet to be done as long as they continued to use the g1 design for the combiner sets. i think it would have been cool to see a predaking, computron and so on

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    On paper the concept is great but by in large in was poorly done in toy form. The last wave was the best by far but the drone for the most part were epic fails.

If i had to do them over , i would loose the automorph inthe drone and give the combin form proper hands and feet and a weapon.

6. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    i've got every one. Love 'em.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Crankcase with either the Rallybot or the Stunticon drones would complete the Menasor homage.
    Bombshock could then take the helicopter and plane Destron drones to get as close to representing Bruticus as he ever will.
    Skyburst could make for an OK Superion, but since he comes with 2 jets and 2 copters you'd either have to buy him twice -OR- get him, the Blue Angles-inspired Drone from the Stakeout/Protectabots set, and the jet from the Crankcase/Destron set.

Other than that, I don't think any other possible team/combination would bear any resemblance to any particular G1 Combiner.

8. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    The scouts and minicons are great, and not all of the drones were bad. Use the search function to look for a thread called "Power Core Combiner appreciation", there were loads of pictures and opinions on them and why they were great toys.

9. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

very nice! i wasn't looking to purchase anymore but now i am compelled. i will look into this further to make sure i have the vehicles and color correct

10. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I have the combaticons, protectobots, dinobots, and destrons. I loved the idea when they were released and really tried to like them as toys, but alas I could not, as they just didn't fit together well enough and produce a solid combined toy IMO. As time passes I'm liking even my favorite set (the combaticons) less and less. Props to Hasbro for an original idea, but just didn't work IMO.

11. JackHammer

JackHammer Me, no, I would never

Not Hasbro's greatest idea

12. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Even though this is my twelveth time answering -this- thread.

I dig the Power Core Combiners. Honestly, I wish they would have done a little bit better with the drones, making them perhaps minicons, or limbs that didn't suck ass.

This being said, they are a nifty idea, however didn't make it into fruition. The worst part it, I have this feeling that Hasbro was using this as a test run to see how well a combiner would sell... annnnnnnnnnnnd, well...

13. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    They are hard to like at first but after getting the first few I had to get them all.

14. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

nor were the pretender or energon

15. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I love me some combiners, so when these came out I jumped to get them. The first few were ok, but nothing to write home about. I liked the two packs with the minicons allot because it almost forced you to mix and match the drones and find ways to make the combined mode look good. By the end though things got better. Undertow is one of my favorite two packs, and I was able to find a Spas... I mean Over Run at Walmart for $10 on black Friday. He's pretty cool too...

16. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

i feel that the combine sets have proved themselves in the past. i think that hasbro was just trying to save a buck in production and make even more buck off of us the fans

i would like to say that trandformers energon whether it be the toy or the catoon sucked but it did have some gems like shockwave maybe not in vehicle mode but the figure sure was sweet

17. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Look good under plastic!
    [​IMG]

18. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I liked the concept,and I'm a big fan of the guy who designed most of these as I loved the Real gear line he worked on for the '07 movie. As soon as I saw pictures I skipped, even when they turned up in bargain bins. A real shame.

19. jmc2915

jmc2915 Human Alliance

after i picked up the 2 sets i have i purchased an undertow without doing much research in to it. i hate HATE the additional combiner element to the two pack power core figures. i thought that these figures might represent the targetmaster figures pretty well even though the mini-bot are simply remolded mini-cons from armada or energon. i think i would have dropped the combiner elemnt for the two-pack, i would have also matched the figures with a g1 targetmaster figure by name and color if possible if not then some other g1 transformer would haved work.

20. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ummm, the Mini-cons in the two packs were new molds and never used in Armada, Energon, or Cybertron.