Opinions on Iphone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unicron's blues, Jan 2, 2008.

1. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

So I got an Iphone a few days ago and I don't know, I'm kind of unimpressed. For one, if you upload photos onto it, you can't delete them, so that means I have to make a special folder and go thru any and every photo and see if its one I want to upload. Secondly, I download thru limewire, but when I went to sync my songs to my phone or itunes store or whatever, it only uploaded about half of those, so I'm not sure if I can even upload the songs I want or not. Thoughts, concerns? Anyone else here own one?

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't own one, but I got to see Matrix Soul's at BotCon last year and thought it was pretty cool. But...I don't know, like novelty cool, not $600 cool. For me at least.

I did use an Apple product at length for the first time this holiday season, and found it pretty wonky in general.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The New Cell phone I just got does essentially everything an Iphone does, has a better camera in it, and is simply missing the novelty of a touch screen key pad. Meh, not good enough to consider spending $600 us (Or what will more than likely be about $800 Canadian when it finally launches here).

4. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Impressive but overhyped, overpriced and unnecessary.

5. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

hmmm

I'm due an upgrade on my contract at the end of the month... I quite like the n95 myself though am considering an Iphone, did the ipod etc not have issues with mp3's not uploading if they were not from Itunes or something?

if thats the case.. I think I'll go for something else

6. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I not sure this is correct. As I understand it if you open the photo in question and click the 'trash-can' icon it will delete it, but re-appear if you still have the original 'ticked' in your sync menu the next time you sync up with your pc.

As downloads from Limewire are essentially illegal, many of the tracks won't automatically sync through Itunes as they lack the required information (don't ask me what it is - I'm a computer simpleton!) but you can drag/drop them manually onto an ipod/iphone as opposed to the easier instant-sync.

There are several other work-rounds for this issue if you take a couple of minutes to Google them. It's copyright protection rather than an Apple problem I think. People with a better grasp of 'puter stuff can probably tell you...:) 

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone's music content is synced via iTunes, yes? So all you need to do is add the music to iTunes and it should sync to the iPhone. Once added to iTunes, you should probably convert the files from MP3 to AAC - I don't know if that's required or not, but it's a good idea for space considerations.

I don't know how photos work - I assume you aren't using a Mac, and therefore not using iPhoto, so I can't help you there.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    All the stuff on my sister's iPod is from Limewire... It just needs manually dropped.

I got to use an iPhone today (surfing the boards is a pain, btw) and I was actually impressed. And it's an Apple product. That really says something... (although it did bring legitimate entertainment to a school bus...)

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You're schoolbus-age?

Wow...you just joined onesock in the "young people whose command of the English language and ability to communicate online is redeeming my opinion of your generation" club.

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Unfortunately. If it makes you feel any better, I'm in an AP (that means college credits after a fairly painful 3-hour test) Computer Science class (yay redeeming qualities!)

Alphie, KSA, Razerwire, Gen. Magnus, Motormaster, and probably Redline (I miss the shout box...) can vouch that I've been using punctuation, capitals, periods, and complete sentences pretty much since I signed up. (I was 12 then. How I was allowed to sign up here at 12 is beyond me.)

And I wonder why people don't exactly like the younger members...

11. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Well, before it gets off topic, if you have an iPhone and a Mac, they work like a dream, whether or not your mp3s are legal or not, pretty much anything you can drop into iTunes you can sync to your iPhone, as for pictures, again.

if you have iPhoto, you already set up a folder of your favorite pictures to carry with you. And you are right, you can not delete the photos synced from iPhoto, you can only delete the ones that you took with the phone.

So I'm guessing you are using PC with this, I would suggest you to go to iPhone discussion forum at the Apple support site and see if other people have similar problems, you'll find many solutions.

12. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I hated my old schoolbus. Everyone was always cussing and there were fights every month. And this year's driver keeps running over the yellow rubber-like posts on a turn to our subdivision(I live in a middle-class area, the area near us is ghetto). At least now I carpool with my friend with my dad(BTW I'm 13)

I love the iPhone. I only have an iPod Touch, but I've tried a few out and I must say it's more bang for the buck. A lot more apps, which make up for the heftier price

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I can't imagine being without my iPhone. Huge screen for websites. Very smooth e-mail. Impressive looking video. Long battery life. Adequate(for me anyway) camera. Youtube.

My only gripe is I wish they would make an official AIM client for it.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was considering an iphone but im going against it. based on reviews it lacks too much common feature of current hi end phone like video calls, even something like group sms (which is integral to my work), thats just wack. its prolly nifty for showing off but for my personal everyday use, going to construction sites and all that. but i definitely like the touch interface, maybe a 1 or 2 generations down the line.

15. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I went with the Verizon Voyager. I was thinking of getting an Iphone but I hate AT&T. I've played with the Itouch as well, although it is nice, it lacks internet access on the go. So I went with the Voyager. It is simple to use plus the features kick ass.

16. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    This is rumored to show up in the next firmware update soon.

17. ...Optimus...

...Optimus... Active Member

I'm currently on Verizon, and am due for an upgrade, so I've been checking out the options in the phone industry lately. Here's a bit of what I've found:

The iPhone is clearly a beautiful and, in some ways, revolutionary product, and every major company is quickly acting to copy it, or at least produce decent competition. It's not perfect, but no device on the market can even challenge it's ability as a combined phone and music player, just as no real challenger has been found for the iPod. The software is very intuitive and easy to use, and it packs enough features to be considered one of the top phones on the market.

This being said, I won't be getting one. Why? Two reasons: I don't trust AT&T's network (especially compared to Verizon), and I can't and won't shell out $400 for something that holds roughly 1/3 of my music collection. It just doesn't have enough storage to replace my 30gb iPod. Now, when the iPhone gets into the 30-40gb storage range and can function as a full-fledged iPod, well.....

Game over. That's really going to be the ultimate phone, for me anyways. I mean, c'mon, who wouldn't get this phone if it had, say, 40gb of storage and ran on any network? It will be the iPod phenomenon repeated in the phone industry.

I checked out the LG Voyager, and was a little underwhelmed. The menus were sometimes overly-complicated (mildly annoying), the buttons sometimes too small to be pushed accurately (moderately annoying), and the touch screen was inconsistent in it's response (highly annoying). But, and I know this isn't important to everyone, it just didn't feel like a $300 device. If I'm shelling out the big bucks I want quality, and while it wasn't trashy or anything I just couldn't see myself choosing it over something like the iPhone if they were on the same network. So, pass for me.

I am currently waiting to see what the Samsung U940 (the F700 in Europe and Asia) will be like, as it's due to be released on Verizon within the next couple of months. Here's a link if you want to check it out:
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Samsung-U940-is-the-Verizons-variant-of-the-F700-article-a_2182.html

Hope this helps!

18. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^ What he said :D 

19. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Ok, you know one of the most common excuse that I hear when it comes to the iPhone is AT&T. What people fail to understand is that, AT&T is no longer the AT&T you knew other than the name. AT&T was bought out by Cingular, who has a very decent network, but they decided to go with the AT&T name because it has more recognition (Although they didn't think if the name had a good or bad reputation). So for those that complains about AT&T being sucky, my rollover minutes would like to have a word with ya ;) 

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The storage is inadequate. Once it hits similar to iPod levels of gigs, then I will sign up and carry one less device with me.

Whoever said the iPhone was unneccesarry is a boob!