Opinions on Generations WFC Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Magnus' Mate, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With all the sudden excitement over the new FOC figures, I'm curious as to opinions on the Generations Cybertronian/War for Cybertron figures. I kinda let these pass by as I was (and still am mostly) indifferent to most modern figures.

However, I'm kinda tempted if these are awesome figures. So, what's the opinion on Prime, Megatron, Soundwave, Bumblebee and Cliffjumper? (are they all the WFC figures released so far?)

I have no interest in computer games, but assume these kinda line up nicely with the Exodus/Exiles storyline, or really any kind of "pre-war" concept?

Final question - there's a three-pack set of Prime, Megs and BB being sold in TRU. What are the differences between these figures and the single-card releases? (Hasbro rarely just repacks...there's always some wacky colour change!). Any comparison picture set?

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Personally I find them EXTREMELY overrated. Megatron is pretty cool. Soundwave is ok. But Bumblebee and Optimus are just kibbly and floppy. Again, that's just my opinon. I'm sure there will be flocks of people jumping in to profess their love of them...but check out pictures of them in the resource section here, not only to see what the molds are like but to see the comparison between the originals and the 3-pack release, which are repainted for sure. :) 

3. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    I have them, but as my available display space diminished, I took them off my shelf. Now I'm thinking of using them as kitbashing parts fodder.

4. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Barring redecos, yeah. Optimus, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Megatron, and Soundwave are the only ones released. I've got all of them (save CJ), and IMO they're pretty decent figures. Megatrons alt-mode isn't really anything sepcial, and Bumblebee is a little tall, but otherwise those are the only real complaints I personally have regarding them. As for the initial release vs the three-pack, here's a quick comparison:

[​IMG]

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Megatron is GREAT. Soundwave is very nice. Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are good.

Prime is... an upgrade from the War Within Titanium.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. That pictorial comparison is exactly what I was after.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Get Soundwave if only for the boom box fanmode.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I really enjoy them - Soundwave and Megatron are probably my favorites, Prime is pretty good too. Bumblebee and Cliffjumper can drive me nuts putting them into alt-mode, but they're solid toys IMO.

9. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

I own the TRU three-pack, and have to say Megatron is one of the better deluxes in my collection. Optimus lacks a certain something (probably from all of his kibble just kind of being... there) and Bumblebee is maddening to get into vehicle mode, but the figure itself is rather nice (if a little on the large size for a Bumblebee). I've heard a lot of good about the Soundwave figure, too. But yeah, if nothing else, get yourself a Megatron. The alt mode isn't bad, the robot is awesome, and somewhere on the boards you can find an AMAZING handgun fan-mode for him.

10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    They are some of my favorite figures. Meg's alt mode and transformation is kind of meh, but his bot mode is fantastic.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron and Soundwave are pretty cool, Optimus Prime is OK and Bumblebee is crap.

12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Megatron is probably my favorite version of Megatron that I've got and Prime is quite good(I absolutely love the headsculpt), but unlike some of the other guys here, I'm not a fan of either the cliff/bee mold or soundwave.

No way I'd get that 3 pack though, those color schemes are just awful.

13. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron and Soundwave are exceptional. I've discovered I'm not a giant fan of the design itself, but that has nothing to do with the toy. It even has a good excuse for turning into a "thing" unlike many Megatrons. :)  Soundwave is probably the best mass retail homage to the original toy ever.

Optimus looks great in robot mode, but I don't enjoy the transformation, or the "truck" mode particularly. His 5mm ports in robot mode are very well placed to make him a walking arsenal.

Bumble/Cliff has a great alt mode but his transformation is also frustrating and his robot mode is a little gangly and oddly proportioned. Both have fantastic headsculpts.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

"Impressed" is far from the first word I'd say about the WFC figures. Optimus is unnecessarily complex for his size. Bumblebee isn't bad, but still pales to the Classics mold. Megatron is probably the best of the bunch. Soundwave I was never keen on, but now I need to buy one for a custom.

As for the TRU 3-pack, "wacky colour change" about sums it up.

15. Mitch FIN Keith

Mitch FIN Keith Autobot

i have them all, megatron and soundwave are the best. Bee and Cliff are sweet...and optimus stands in the back....with deluxe classics optimus who hides behind armada prime

16. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only WFC figures I don't actually like are Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. Their headsculpts are ugly and their transformations are fiddly if you want to get everything lined up right. I actually like Optimus Prime's complexity and the end result. Wouldn't be surprised if they were going to make him a voyager, but had to downscale it.

Overall I'd say Megatron = Soundwave>Optimus Prime>Bumblebee>Cliffjumper.

17. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I find this thread terribly surprising! Personally, I feel the WFC Optimus to be one of the best deluxe figures of my whole collection. His alt mode is unique, and can take getting used to, but that is hardly the figure, as it's nearly perfect in terms of game accuracy. The transformation is complex for a deluxe, but I'm very much a fan of complex transformations.

The robot mode just screams Optimus to me. The amount of homage to the G1 model considering the vastly different alt mode is impressive to me. There is some kibble, although it fits on the figure very nicely. Most of the kibble is one solid piece that honestly just forms his back. Other bits of "kibble" come together very nice to form shoulder pieces. It's really brilliantly engineered. In my opinion, the pinnacle of the WFC series.

In contrast to what appears to be most people, I found Megatron to be overly simple. His vehicle mode is just folding up the arms and legs. None the less, still a good looking figure and aside from a bit of lacking articulation in the arms, very nice to pose.

Soundwave in is just fantastic overall. His robot mode is pure G1 homage. His guns are those of the G1 show, his chest opens up (despite not needing to include this feature!) his head has a great Soundwavey feel. The fan mode of the speakers is lots of fun! The vehicle is okay for me. Nothing special, fairly plain.

Bumblebee, as others have said has a fairly fiddly transformation. However the result in both modes is really nice. He is a very unique figure with some nice looking wheels and a really fun alt mode. Probably my favorite alt mode of the line. His gun is a nice bonus touch.

Overall, a very nice line. Fantastic homages to G1 without getting boring for those who like something new.

18. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    Out of the original ones, I only have Soundwave. His vehicle mode is okay, although it's not great for displaying. However, I love his robot mode. My favorite feature has to be his guns - they're a lovely homage to his G1 character.

Personally, I give him a 7.5 out of 10.

I also think WFC Shockwave will look awesome standing next to him!

19. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime and Megatron are amazing, Soundwave is good, Bee and Cliff are cool in alt mode, but pretty lame in robot mode.

20. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    Bumblebee- At first he was the figure I was most disappointed in. Bought him from Hasbrotoyshop and part of the hinge on his ankle broke in a day (I have bad luck with HTS...my Battle Blades Optimus had a minor broken part on him too) and I couldn't get him into his alt mode correctly. He was pretty much left alone on the shelf for several months, when I finally began to fiddle with him, taking it VERY slowly with the transformation. Finally noticed I was lining up the arms wrong...BOOM, suddenly everything clicked and I got him down. I will admit he has weird promotions, but it works for him...I see Bee as a runner, someone always being chased, so he needs long legs and a body built for impact.

Optimus- Again, had problems with his transformation, but got it down. The problem is he felt so plain. Finally broke out the paints and got him gun touched up...plan to do a little to his body to make him sparkle.

Megatron- My favorite of the bunch, I think. Everything shifts so smoothly and he has such a striking stance. I just wish his hands could fit standard 3mm posts.

Soundwave- Other than minor trouble I have with his alt mode (still think i am doing something wrong but he looks right enough) he has been another great toy.

Personally, I want them to continue the trend they have and I hope FOC Jazz, Shockwave and others continue to raise the bar.