Opinions on Energon Starscream?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rob_charb, Feb 9, 2009.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Apologies if there's a proper thread or another part of the boards (Feedback perhaps?...) to ask this, but I recently saw some pictures of the Energon Starscream mold for the first time and have found I desperately, achingly need to get one, otherwise my life shall never feel complete and I will spiral into a well of blackness and despair.

Okay, well, maybe not...but still, it looks like a really great figure, but alas, I missed out on Energon when it was available in stores. I've seen a few on Ebay for really good prices and am wondering if it's a good figure to get. How's the poseability on it? Any major flaws with it?

2. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I have both versions("ghost" and "g1" colors), and they are decent figures in a good line. A very good rendition of Starscream(better than Armada). The posablity is okay, with ball-joint hips, knees, rotating and raising shoulders, elbows, rotating head, and you can pose the feet a little bit. The wings rotate out and up to make shoulder missile launchers. His energon weapons are awesome, with a large rifle and a sword that combines to make an even larger sword that is taller than the figure lol. I give him a 7.5/10, and the G1 colored one is better than the ghost one. Too bad the cartoon character was a joke.

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Yeah, what he said. Awesome figure and one of the better releases from Energon. While I love G1 colors as much as the next G1 fanboy, I prefer the darker colors of the original in this case. I highly recommend this figure.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    lol

I read "onions on energon starscream" and thought "wtf?" :D 

5. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

lol I always thought he was better with mustard and cheese...

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't have very many figures from the Unicron Trilogy, but this was one that I wanted, mostly just because it's Starscream. I have the ghost figure, always wish I had the G1 colored version. I might try looking for it soon, when I get paid. LOL Anyone willing to sell one to me?

Anyway, yeah. Good figure. By far a step up from Armada. Can't say anything about Cybertron Supreme Starscream as I don't have that figure either. Anyone willing to sell that to me too? Ahaha

7. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I would actually rate him as one of the best overall Starscream figures we've ever gotten. As far as poseability and proprotion goes, he the best we've gotten in recent memory. He's not as large as the Armada or Cybertron versions, but those ones had frustrating limitations.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Great figure in my book. The mold is based on G2 Smokescreen, and has the same level of articulation. And I find the "ghost" version better of the two, because of the translucent plastic on the body and translucent weapons/huge sword.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Forgetting Classics/Universe Starscream?

Anyway, Nightscream/Starscream is a great solid figure, and looks nice displayed with a lot of different figures. The one thing to keep in mind is that the G1 deco still has the battle damage on him (Since it's part of the mold), which I think slightly hinders the appearance of the figure; I prefer the first ghost version.

10. rob_charb

Sweet, thanks for the opinions (and not onions...) on the figure. I guess I'll just add that to the list of goodies to get this year.

Oh, and battle damage? As in sculpted battle damage? I didn't notice that...

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A little chunky in jet mode, but a great figure. He's the F-22 Starscream that DOESN'T look like a flattened gorilla! :) 

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say its a must have from the Energon line its really nice... dare I say cooler then the classics toy?... I think so.

As for getting the G1 or Ghost colours IMO with all the crack details the ghost toy looks much cooler and if you can find the Japanese release since I think I'm right in saying its baby blue was replaced with a more GeeWan gray
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know. I got the complete 'ghost' figure in a Starscream lot from the 'bay awhile back, and it still hasn't grown on me. Would never have considered getting it if it wouldn't have come in the lot. It's rather little and somewhat bland. I think the transformation is okay, just finnicky. Also, the huge friggin gun/sword thing looks too over-the-top for such a small figure.
    Probably my second least favorite Starscream mold to date (following Machine Wars Starscream).

14. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    then I guess its different stokes for different fokes but I dig him and franky articulation wise E screamer is the cooler toy over the classics item if that's your thing.

15. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    As others mhave said it's smallish even for a deluxe, and the TF is cool but fiddly. That being said, I like mine, which is the "ghost" version, and tend to have it in hand at least once or twice a week.

16. rob_charb

Blitz, thanks for the photos there. Those were the final two nails in the coffin. Now I really have to get this figure. I'm liking the "Ghost" version a lot, more so than the G1 deco.

Is there a reason for the "ghost"? Did Screamer get offed in Energon? I never watched the serious.

One last question: Compared to the Classics Seeker mold, which one has better articulation?

17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

GREAT figure. Run, don't walk, to your nearest computer to Ebay one of these.

I also think it could be relatively easy to kitbash one into an IDW seeker.

18. Borgiwan

Borgiwan Active Member

Ghost starscream is one of about 3-4 figures that got me back into collecting. Bought it and my girlfriend (now wife) said, "great, there goes all your money..." I had two alternators in my hands at the time, too.

Love it. I pull that one out more often than most any other.

19. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I like the mold and actually wish Hasbro would release a few redecos of this guy into generic Seekers or something to that effect.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

IIRC, he was killed in Armada and brought back to life in Energon as a mindless slave for Megatron.

As for Articulation, it's very close, but I'd have to give it to Classics SS for his somewhat unintentional shouler articulation, which comes from being part of his transformation rather then being actual articulation. It also highlights one of the downsides to Energon SS as he has an issue where his shoulderpads actually hunder his arm articulation slightly.