Opinions on Devastator's role. Spoilers.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Johnator, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Did anyone else feel that Devastator was just a waste of time? My wife watches G1 with me (I watch food network with her so it is our tradeoff) and her favorite is Devastator. She got excited when I told her he was in the film and when the movie was over her comment was "THAT was the hype about Devastator?" He basically spent half his screen time climbing out of a pit and a pyramid then he...........did nothing. Growled once or twice and then got demolished by a rail gun on a US Navy boat? Whaaaa?

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Huge disappointment. It was a real let down.

3. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

He didn't induce anxiety and high tension like Megatron did when he awoke in the first movie. Plus, Devastator was circumscribed to a seeming very small area. So I'd say he was disappointing.

4. gmainolfi

gmainolfi Member

Yeah a waste of time. Not to mention that the robots that were suppose to make up Devastator were fighting individual while Devastator was walking around doing whatever.

5. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    all that is very true. however, I think along the lines of him being "the best tool for the job" of uncovering the sun destroyer. now, had that weapon not been in the movie I think Devs would have had a much bigger role as the "ultimate weapon" of the movie

6. OptimusPrim3

OptimusPrim3 Active Member

You are aware that they had multiple constructicon clones.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When it comes to Devastator, think BW Magmatron, or a duocon on steroids. I think this also explains why we haven't seen CGI or toy images for the other bits (i.e. the crane, payloader, etc). I think Devastator was intened all along to be comprised of several vehicles, not necessarily several individual robots.

As for his role in the movie, I have to admit it was kind of anti-climatic. It would have been easy to rework the last battle slightly to have Devastator kicking major ass until the Fallen gets the Matrix and then have Megatron order Devy to go uncover the machine, then have the good guys start winning.

8. Johnator

I get what you are saying but don't you think that any of the Decepticons could have just ripped the top few bricks in a short time as well? He basically pulled out 10 bricks and then was dead. I too thought he was going to be the ultimate weapon of the movie.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I didn't mind Devastator. What pissed me off was the robots that combined to make him were fighting someplace else at the same time.

10. gmainolfi

gmainolfi Member

I guess I did not. Never heard of constructicon clones before. Is this something new? So which ones are the clones, the ones that made up Devastator or the ones who fought by themselves?

11. OptimusPrim3

:horse: 

There are several constructicon clones running around.

12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    Two words -
    Anti climatic.

He basically did nothing of note. Now, if it was some fodder character, it would have made sense. But for such a gigantic machine of destruction, its such a shame.

Only good thing is that there's multiple Constructicons, so hopefully should the writers decide to use them for TF3, I pray they will pose more of a threat.

13. OptimusPrim3

There are a couple of threads regarding this. Check this one out. Some sound plausible.

The main thing is Bay didn't take the time to explain any of it.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...not-combiner-but-singular-being-spoilers.html

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I will go along - his role was to quickly uncover the buried "sun harvestor"! LOL!

15. Johnator

:) 

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, unfortunately he did seem to come off as anti-climactic. I guess my problem with Devastator is that for such a large engine of destruction... he essentially does nothing before being destroyed by a US Navy rail gun. Would have been much cooler to see him take on all the Autobots like someone else said and then have him taken down after The Fallen gets his hands on The Matrix. Also, it might have been better if the Autobots had a huge robot of their own (say a giant space shuttle or something) that could have arrived (say... Omega Supreme) and fought Devastator. Of course, that's all just my opinion... your mileage may vary.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with the toys when it was first announced that they wouldn't have individual robot modes, but now it seems to me that, as far as the studios and writers were concerned... this was always the case. Devastator in the movie-verse was always made to be something more akin to BW Magmatron than the more traditional take on a combiner. If you think about it... it's Hasbro that named the individual pieces the Constructicon names as the individuals were never named in the movie itself.

Also, on the subject that someone mentioned of the individual parts running around while Devastator was formed. First, read the above and, also, duly note that there were many Constructicon clones seen through out the course of the movie. Heck, a "Scrapper Clone" gets ripped to shreds in the beginning to use for parts of Megatron by "Long Haul" and "Mixmaster" Clones at The Doctor's request. So, good, bad or indifferent about it... there seems to be more than just one of each Constructicon in the movie-verse. Whether this is because they all scanned similar alternate modes upon arrival (thus ending up with similar robot modes) or something else entirely... it essentially boils down to ILM being able to easily reuse robot mode designs to increase the Decepticons' ranks without spending a lot of money doing it... especially sense Devastator's individual pieces did not appear to (or even have been planned to) have individual robot modes. My two cents as it may anyways.

17. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Don't know if "clones" is really the right word. But it does appear that multiple Deceps in the final battle had similar looks and probably the same alt forms.

In hindsight, it would have been less confusing if they would have made them more distinct.

18. Dankir

Dankir Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The worst part is the Autobots didn't even fight Devastator??!

Stupid Mudflap was eaten and survived, There should have been some other Autobots fighting.

It's friggin Devastator for crying out loud, instead we got the Twins, Sector 7 guy and stupid fucking LEO against him.

He had the coolest Robot model fucking amazing transformation sequence and was useless.

MISSED OPPORTUNITIES!! This movie could have been great.... ah well

19. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Well, at least he exposed the harvestor so in a way he served his purpose, ha ha.

20. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

I didn't mind all the "repaints" of the Constructicons running about but I thought Devastator was something of a waste of the time & money that it took ILM to create such a complex CGI model as he didn't really do a great deal.