Opinions on characters being recast?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has happened countless times, from Richard Harris to Michael Gambon for Harry Potter's Dumbledore, to Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle in Iron Man's Rhodey, to the iconic example of Dick York to Dick Sargent for Bewitched's Darrin.

How do you guys personally feel about this? In some cases, it seems unfortunate but unavoidable, such as the case of Harris' death for Dumbledore. Let's discuss, but not drag in examples where a new performer is necessary due to differences in character age or appearance (such as Guinness and McGregor's Obi-Wan), or due to different characters in different continuities (such as the characters of the 2009 Star Trek).

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Whatever's best for the work as a whole works for me.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    As long as the new actor or actress can portray the character just as good or better then who they replaced, then I have no issue.

For instance, I thought Cheadle did a way better job at portraying James Rhodes then Howard and his preformance was already pretty good.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I really don't care. Although I do wish they'd recast Indiana Jones.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

It's all about the actor being able to "Get into" the character.

I know you mentioned that Star Trek didn't "count" because it was a different continuity, but I thought the casting was brilliant and spot on, especially Kirk, Spock and Bones.

6. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    perfectly said

7. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I don't mind actor change as long as the actor replacing the original is as good or almost as good even as their predecessor.

This coming from a fan of James Bond who has gone through six actors through out the franchise.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only time I can say it has ever angered me was when the dropped Norton for Ruffalo in Avengers. Edward Norton was the first person in ages to "get" the dynamic of Bruce Banner and the Hulk. While Mark might do a good job, I just felt kind of let down that they bailed on Edward.

9. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I really wish that Cheadle didn't replace Terrence Howard. Not that Cheadle isn't a good actor, but I think Howard seemed more "fun" and fit to be Tony's friend. Cheadle seemed a little too serious looking at times.

10. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The only thing that bugs me is when they recast and re-shoot British shows for US audiences. I watch a lot of Brit tele and it is great. To this day I can't understand why they feel the need to recast and re-shoot a good show. It's never better than the original and is usually dismal.

11. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for your responses. Usually I'm fine with the performer change if they do a good job of it.

However, I'm curious as to your opinions on the difference in terms of visual continuity. When you watch films in a series, do you feel awkward at suddenly having a different-looking person play a character?

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't care, at all. If actors didn't reprise/eventually replace certain characters in new movies or new adaptations then we'd be watching the same old movies forever and never get anything new. And franchises need move on sometimes in order to tell new stories with or without those actors because 1) Hollywood is a business, and 2) No actor is better than the role he or she is performing in, for if they can do it, then someone else can and will do it better. It's only the fans that say, "Only X-actor could have played that."

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doesn't really bother me.

Although it does bother me when they come back and make a sequel several years later set in the same time span as the previous movie and the actor has aged significantly. An example would be Rocky V, it picks up right after the Drago fight, but Sly looks much older.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Some movies you can get away with it...but...let's say that they went and TRIED to change the terminator out for T3(just an example). The whole focus on the terminator is that he is to be recognized. You can't just say, "ok, we had Arnold in the first 2, but this one, we aim for the same T-101 character, but have to change the actor playing", it just wouldn't work in my eyes.

Same with when they replaced Keaton in the Batman movies. That would be like having Christian Bale playing the first 2, and they replace him for the third. Now, you go and replace a supporting character(like Maggie), it isn't as bad of a change. Now, with Ledgers death, and a potential to have the Joker return, they would have to replace, but it better be a damn good replacement, who pulls off the look too. The only thing that makes this slightly easier, is the joker makeup.

All in all, I don't like attempts to replace main characters like: Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, etc. Movie franchises that are using the same character, just can't be properly replaced.

15. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Agreed. Coupling is a perfect example.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I would prefer the original actor stay through out an entire series of movies/TV Shows.

I deal with it when it happens. The only Situation it doesn't bother me is when it can't be avoided such as in the case of Richard Harris/ Micheal Gambon playing Dumbledore. Death/severe injury or other non planned reasons an actor can't continue with a role.

Now if it is for them not getting enough cash to continue with the role then that bugs me.

17. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    only slightly irritating; but it's the character that matters more than the appearance. a good actor will pull off the same character in roughly the same fashion. I don't really care.