Opinions on Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by rustyshark, Aug 22, 2009.

1. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

Well I have all of the ROTF line thats out and just have a few more animated to get so im getting kinda bummed in going to stores because I have everything there. So I am thinking about starting to collect the Alternators line next and buying online.
    What are your opinions on the Alternators? They seem to be right up my alley as I love cars in general and the detail on them are amazing.
    Which ones are the harder to find ones? Which are the best ones and which ones just suck lol.
    Also anyone have any size comparison of them to other figures. Im assuming they are more voyager size than deluxe.
    Thanks for any opinions and insight.

2. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Alts are awesome!

3. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    They're cool toys, but they were honestly the most stressful line to collect in the history of the franchise.

4. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    They are the best TFs ever IMO. Incredible amount of engineering in the Alts. They are in their own scale so if you care about that like me (yeah I know stupid thing to worry about with TFs) this line is great.

5. poorboy8u

poorboy8u Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alt's are awesome. Real life representations of awesome car's in a non knock off sense. What's bad about that?

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Swerve and Camshaft are the rarest of the retail alternators, and both are repaints (although swerve has a new head). Mirage can be a bitch to find too. aside from them, the other rare ones are nemesis prime and rodimus, the two SDCC exclusives. and then ravage (kitty mode) and rumble, the two walmart exclusives.

as for size:

[​IMG]

the ones I'd say are the best... my personal favorites are the subaru impreza (any version, but I like smokescreen most), mirage, tracks (or swerve, its a damn nice repaint), ravage (kitty version), jazz/meister, grimlock, and decepticharge.

my least favorite molds are hound and sideswipe.

starting the line now is going to be a very expensive nightmare. everything is in relatively high demand due to the popularity of the line. I started collecting it when the line started, grabbing every release I could get my hands on, and I only have 21 out of the 27 toys.

7. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

You may want to try the Alternity line since it is a current line and you can be there from the start. Little smaller, but still pretty nice.

There pretty different than any TF you've probably every played with. For some they are to much of a PITA to TF and get pretty frustrating. Pick up a few loose ones and you should get a good idea what to expect.

8. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    And incredibly expensive, especially for their size.

9. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    If you are willing to spend more, you might want to go for the die-cast Binaltechs instead. But, yeah, Alts are a great line to collect as well.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Two words, Transformer perfection.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    bah. there's fewer binaltechs than alternators, they're more expensive, more fragile, have balance issues, and their paint chips. after seeing how much my alternator grimlock's silver paint chips in transformation alone, I would never, EVER want even one binaltech.

12. PB379

PB379 Autobot

I have several and found them great, just a PITA to Transform. I could never find two that I really wanted in the Stores though, Mirage and Wheel Jack.

13. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    lol, I love my Binaltechs

14. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Alts are awesome.... so glad I have a complete set.

But its a little late to collect em realistically..... they are so damn expensive now

15. Kowane

Kowane Member

Alternators are pretty nice (and pricey) but for some reason, i just don't really like them that much. the ALTERNITY line on the other hand, is AMAZING! (but even more pricey). However, this is coming from a guy that loves the animated and movieverse line so idk. My favorite alternator would have to be Wheeljack though. Just look at his kickass headsculpt!

16. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

oh yeah, go for it, awesome line.

17. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    They are really impressive. And the look and size goes well with Masterpieces.

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I am fairly new to the Alternators line, but am prettywell hooked right now. I suggest hitting up Seibertron's galleries and making a list of what ones may interest you to start. I only have 9 of them, but they are some of the better looking ones IMO. As shown in the pic earlier in the thread, they are a little larger than a Voyager, and have some great detailing to them. So far the most I have paid is $20 plus shipping for any of them, and gotten most of mine from the boards here. Eventually I will be paying more for the rarer ones, SDCC ones, and Walmart ones, but you will pick up on the price range pretty quickly. Just make a list and start knocking them out, there are a lot out there on the B/S/T board.

19. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

The Alt./Binaltech lines were awesome! I got back into collecting just as they were hitting the stores, so I managed to get a few for some good prices (although, £40 for Binaltech Tracks was a bit much, but at that point, the Alt. version was bright yellow, not blue!).

IMO, the best are, Kitty Ravage, Kiss Player Rodimus (as you get his exhaust blaster and I prefer the paint apps, more realistic), the Hound/Swindle Jeep (an amazing mold!) and of course, the Corvette. The Mustang is cool (Grimlock, Wheeljack), but can be a bit bulky up top.

Bad molds are the Viper (Dead End, Sunstreaker, Sideswipe), and the Mazda one, (Shockwave), they're just not that good and getting the Vipers back into vehicle mode can be a bitch (their arms!!!!!).

They do take up a lot of shelf space though, just just due to height, but total bulk in all direction, more than a voyager ever would. This is mainly due to much kibble, but it's good kibble, the kind you like to see.

It's probably one of the best lines in the last 10 years.

20. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's only going to get harder to collect Alternators. I was fortunate in that I started collecting them about a third the way through, and managed to get all 27 of them. Decepticharge, Swerve, and Camshaft are the rarities, maybe Rumble and Jaguar Ravage, whilst the so-called exclusives Nemesis Prime and Rodimus are less so (because they were widely available in the Far East).

Highlights of the line (for me) were Jaguar Ravage, Mirage, Meister, and Shockblast. The low-lights being Windcharger, Decepticharge, Sideswipe, and Prowl. Binaltech is better if you like attention to detail, as some Alts seem underdone paint-app-wise, but they are far more susceptible to damage, even by just transforming them.

I'm surprised Superquad hasn't commented, he loves the 1:24 scale goodness.