Opinions of the Ongoing

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    The Transformers (IDW) - Transformers Wiki

From 2009 till the end of last year, there was an ongoing, and I've been considering getting it, especially because of the lead-in to Death of Optimus Prime and the 2 present ongoings. Would go after the TPB versions, and was just wondering what the general concensus is on it, as to be prepared for epicness/dissapointment.

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The previous run has not been very good, you can check out some of the review threads of the individual issues in previous pages. My suggestion would be to maybe get the last collection, which is the Chaos arc, because that leads in to Death of Optimus Prime, but again, isn't very good, and is mostly a confusing mess.

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    was afraid of that... i take it the ongoing then isnt as good as, say... the "-ations"?

4. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Inations - Good

All Hail Megatron - Bad - With the exception of Thundercracker and a few decent stories by other writers in the aftermath of the main story.

Last Stand of the Wreckers - Great. Dark, but great.

Ongoing - Bad. Again with the exception of Thundercracker's characterization and the two issues (Choas Theory) written by Roberts (LSotW, MtMtE).

-ZacWilliam, thats leaving out spotlights and a scattering of miniseries. (Heart of Darknes is terrible).

5. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    here's the thing though-I enjoyed All Hail Megatron. Is it similar to the ongoing?

6. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    It's similar in that the bulk of fans strongly disliked it. The general opinion is that Costa couldn't write a plot that made sense, didn't drag with horrible decompression, or went anywhere logically, had ZERO sense of the Transformers as characters (something he has himself admitted) they're mostly pretty much generic (frequently dumb) cyphers, and inserted a lot of humans who were all generic and unlikeable.

Here's my synopsis of the ongoing: (Minor Spoilers).

The art becomes very movie inspired. The plot brings in the very unlikeable Spike and his team and focuses on them much more than you'd like.

The Autobots hang around in the desert, complain a lot, and do very little. The Decepticons do the same, but mostly in space.

The Decepticons have some sort of odd plan with mind-controlling humans with Megatron shaped guns. It doesn't make much sense.

Eventually Megatron comes back with a big black body supposedly with a master plan. It doesn't make much sense AND is never revealed really before the series ends.

There's a bit of a space plot that serves to set up the very self-contridictory and confusing mess that is Chaos.

There's a lot of hinting and mystery about what jerky Spike is really up to. It drags on forever. In the end it is first revealed to be something no one should care about, and then instead, in a twist, is actually revealed to be something that makes no sense at all. Even more than all the things that made no sense before it.

-ZacWilliam, you're mileage may vary but I wouldn't go in expecting anything like RiD and MtMtE... well except for the two Chaos Theory issues. Those are Must Owns in my opinion. But the rest... not so much.

7. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    The ongoing was initially plotted by a freelancer with no sense (or respect) for the series, the characters or the readers.

The plot lurched around like an alcoholic zombie pumped with meth, and featured a cast of interesting characters rendered utterly bland and unsympathetic because somehow IDW's editorial failed to spot the blindingly obvious lack of care going into the book.

The art mostly sucked (Don's new skeletal faces were utterly devoid of emotion) and the big "twist" at the end was so left-field, underwhelming and confusing that I thought I'd missed an issue.

There was a highlight in the 2 issue Chaos Theory backstory, where art and story were handled by a different team and was pretty much the only reason I gave the series another shot. You may enjoy the Wheelie/Rodimus arc, but it's nowhere near the quality of the reboot. Thank God it's back on track.

Incidentally the Ironhide trade isn't too bad, but you need to have read both AHM (which had its moments) and early ongoing to follow it. Nice artwork though.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Chaos theory? hmm, i'll have to take a peak. I mostly just wanna read what happens to Megatron and why he's gone, and whats up with the sweeps (aka, everything that im clueless about that i kinda learned about in DoOP) along with when Ironhide died

9. ZacWilliam

News Credits:
    Reading the wiki summaries for the issues would fill you in just as well and be a LOT less painful and expensive.

If you must read the issues you probably want say... 13 and up, including the mostly terrible and frequently conflicting-with-the-very-story-it-sets-up Heart of Darkness mini. That would get you most of the gist of the things you're interested in.

-ZacWilliam, I say just read the wiki starting here: ...For All Mankind - Transformers Wiki and if after an issue or two that way if it sounds like your thing then put out the cash...

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I enjoyed AHM. I hated the ongoing. So no.

11. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I'll probably hold off on thinking of looking for the ongoing until April 24th, when I get the IDW Collection Volume 6 which has 1-6 of the ongoing as I want some of the other stories in there. If I like the 1-6, I'll go for the ongoing from there.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Whatever you do, do not read ongoing #8. Your IQ will drop exponentially.

13. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Put me to sleep, it did.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    IMO, if you read the entirety of Ongoing you'd experience a lot of ups and downs, mostly downs towards the end though.

15. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Infiltration and its sequals: Okay (would have liked it better if art was done by someone other than EJ. Su)

AHM: F-ing awesome

Ongoing: Great especially the redesigns which i love (only read the frst volume though but that was pretty good but i have low expectations from the other volumes but im still getting them all anyway :D )

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you liked AHM, you might like the ongoing. The first six issues are fun and exciting but the series takes a nose dive after that. Chaos Theory is a good arc.

Here's my advice, head to Barnes and Noble that has the trades in stock, get a cup of coffee, sit in comfy chair, get caught up. :) 

Also, skip the Bumblebee mini and HOD. They're both awful and you won't be missing anything.

17. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Got the bumblebee mini already and i didnt think it was too bad but was below average. Ill probably get HOD anyway just for completion.

Does anyone know if autocracy will be released as Trade ever?

18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I actually liked Ongoing 1-6. Thundercracker, Swindle and Magnus were great. I liked Rodimus too.

19. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

The ongoing is two years of our lives that we'll never get back. Mike Costa must be laughing at us because he thinks that.

20. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, I've only ever bothered to learn the names of a handful of comic authors, Larry Hama and a few others. I can't even tell you the main writers for the original Marvel U.S./U.K. comics, but I just dropped in to see if there was much written here about Mike Costa. I heard about his remarks on the difficulty of anthropomorphizing machines and how some people said that it was inappropriate to say at the time. I don't know if I agree with that, the commentary is rhetorical. Anyway, I caught a few of the dialogues between Spike and Prowl going on about ethics, trust, and Prowl's logic vs. Spike's human motives and thought they were fantastic. Don't know how everyone else feels but Mike Costa did a really compelling job. Hats off to him for all the writing in and around Police Action.