Customs: Opinions: G1 Optimus Prime Restoration

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rend, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

Hello,

New to the forums and to Customizing/Kitbashing/Restoring. I recently decided to restore my 1984 G1 Optimus Prime. This is an original toy that was purchased for me when I was 10 years old. It has been played with a lot over the years, and luckily my parents packed it away to save it for me. The chrome is worn down pretty bad with most of it exposing the blue plastic under it. Most of the joints are loose. The only good thing this original has going for it is that there are no broken parts on it. Now here's where I'd like some input/opinions:

I just bought a Chinese G1 Optimus Prime KO in hopes to swap out the chrome parts. However, some of the parts aren't compatible, meaning they don't make them like they used to. ;)  Plus this Chinese KO is a P.O.S. compared to my original. Even though my original is worn and has loose joints it still feels more durable than this KO. The KOs plastic is also thinner and less durable. Chrome plating is applied thinner and already shows some were. Anyways...

Some chrome parts that I can't swap out include: smoke stacks(mounts are different diameters), fuel tanks(different mounting style), wheels(of course), upper legs(they're fastened to the cab by the front wheel pins).

Chrome parts that I can swap: front grill, smoke stacks(IF I swap the arms out completely), headlamps.

I can also swap out the metal front windshield housing.

Question: Would you swap the parts from the KO, or have you already done this to your G1 Prime? I don't want to degrade my Prime's value any, but I do want it to look good when displayed.

I can swap the complete arms to get the KO's smoke stacks(since the stacks aren't compatible with mine). However, the color of the arms don't quite match the color of my original's plastic. Would you be concerned with the color mismatch?

Finally, my main question: in your opinion would you restore your G1 to make it look better, or just leave it in it's original worn state? Looks vs. Originality.

Any input or opinions are GREATLY appreciated since I'm new to restoration. I value your opinions.

Thank you in advance for looking at this thread. :) 

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

If you've had it since you were 10, I'd just leave it in that condition.... as a tribute to your joy with it.

Primes are fairly easy to come by, you could always pick up another authentic G1. Even keep your KO in good shape and thats another nice toy you'll have.

But if you are dead set on restoration, go for it. Seems like you've thought about it pretty hard. They are your toys... do what makes you happy.

3. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

If you dont have an original "backup" G1 prime, then don't do it....because, if you mod from the KO, youll have your original wich is torn apart, and the KO will be torn apart, so that leaves you with zero primes (in a way) but if you have a backup Id say go for it. Cause like Codimus said the g1's are plenty enough. But, dont customize your only pride if you only have 1 orig. If that makes sense......

So Id say at least buy one to have and hold as original.

4. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I have a TRU Prime Reissue, a Chinese KO, and the Takara Convoy #0, but my original has sentimental value. I'd like for it to look better, but I don't want to compromise it's originality. Hence, my want for outside opinions. My wife is tired of me talking about. So I decided to get some opinions from people who have the same passion as I do about TFs.

btw, do you guys know of a way to tighten up some of Prime's joints? If I do leave all original parts intact I would like to remove this looseness in his joints.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Leave it as is, and just buy the encore reissue to have a minty one to mess with.

6. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    As for tightening joints, I hear adding a bit of nail polish/acrylic floor polish to the joints and then moving them around until it dries works wonders. I use krazy glue myself, but that stuff leaves a white residue.

7. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

I thought about trying crazy glue, but was worried that I'd make a mess with it and get it all over Prime. :( 

I may use my Chinese KO as a guinea pig hehehe. :eek: 

8. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    So long as you use one of those with the brush applicators, you don't have to worry about it getting everywhere. The only issue is that white residue at the points of application. If it does, by chance, get somewhere else, then just leave that area alone. So long as you don't handle it, that area will dry clear.

9. Rend

Rend Decepticreep Killer

Ok, so I did take you up on the super glue. It worked just fine. I applied it patiently, didn't touch it, and let it setup so that it dried clear. I am happy with the results. Joints are just a little bit stiffer, but not too stiff.

I also decided to keep my original G1 Prime in it's complete form except for a few components. I did import 2 items from the Chinese KO. My old grill was worn terribly so I installed the Chinese KO grill. I also replaced my old chrome head lights because they were worn just as bad as the grill.

I ordered a new set of G1 Optimus Prime replacement stickers from Reprolabels.com to freshen up all the stickers that are worn or pealing. Plus I ordered new G1 Prime smoke stacks from Agesthreeandup.com to replace my old worn stacks.

I probably should have taken before pictures, but I didn't think of that until just recently. However, I think I'll take some after pictures and post them up here for you guys to see.

Thanks again for all the help and opinions I really appreciate it! :D