Opinion regarding collecting CHUG figures...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dsprks75, Apr 20, 2011.

1. dsprks75

dsprks75 Well-Known Member

Hello-

Back in 2006 when classics came out I, like many of you, bought them all up... Prime, Megatron, Mirage, Grimlock, Bumblebee, etc... and all was good. I had them up until the debacle that was the Botcon set with Dirge, Thrust and Thundercracker. At the time I took this as a presonal "screw you" from Hasbro as not everyone can afford the trip to Botcon or the hefty price tag that came with this set. In frustration for the collection I would never complete, I sold my classics rather than hold on to them and moved on to the next wacky thing...

Now it looks as if history might be repeating itself. I picked up where Generations started, but with the new movie coming out, which is monopolizing storage rooms in varies toy stores I'm sure, and wide spread rumors that Windcharger is not going to get released in the US, same with Frumble, and the utter pain in the ass time I'm having trying to find a Wreck-Gar, replacement Perceptor, Wheeljack, and Thundercracker, it looks like I can either quit the hunt or pay ridiculous mark up online or wait until this DoTM bullshit subsides (I'll see the flick, but have NO desire to buy any of the toys...) or wait until TF PRime toys come out... But I love the CHUG line, I don't want to stop again...

Thoughts?

2. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've seen Wreck-Gar and Perceptor multiple times at retail, but Wheeljack & Thundercracker haven't been released yet.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    You should probably chill. Hasbro isn't out to screw anyone.

4. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Becoming vintage, day by day

This isn't news, but I haven't seen anything new since the Skullgrin wave. Even the newest PCCs aren't around here yet.

5. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What? Where'd you hear that. Last I heard Hasbro had a personal vendetta against every single TF fan.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Hahahaha, no. If there was a personal vendetta why would they even bother designing this stuff in the first place?

Trust me, Hasbro will find a way to get these into the hands of fans. It'll happen somehow.

7. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    huh yeah, rall repeats, movies, ending of toylines, announcing new toylines AFTER the movie... and.... for sure: somebody start whining....

man calm down, all is fine, in late autumn, you'll see a new line as successor for Generations/RTS, blieve in it :) 

8. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

Exactly. With all the stuff we DO get from them, you have no room to complain about 2 or 3 toys you wanted but couldn't get.

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    The reality is that if you're not in a position to (pre)order online, there are going to be holes in your collection.

No, it's just against the ones who think that Hasbro should focus TFs entirely on recreating 1985.

10. Noeldj

Noeldj DEVZ

I,ve scored several Wreck-Gars , Preceptors, Kup and Scourge at retail. Voyagers and Windcharger I scored at HTS and split several scout cases with other board members for even more Chargers. Also yesterday HTS had Thundecracker,Wheeljack,Wreck-gar,Lugnut and several others in stock, with retail gettin close to $13.00 a DLX a few dollars more at HTS wrks for me . Oh yeah try disc10 for 10% off at HTS when ya order it was active yesterday, if anythings left in stock...

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't worry and sell up again, you'll probably come to regret doing that. Windcharger can be found and imported, Rumble and Frenzy might prove more difficult but shouldn't be impossible to find.

If you've got toys you like and enjoy why should your enjoyment of them be ruined just because you can't have a complete set? If you've spent the money on them how is selling them on a screw you to Hasbro?
    (I just use the term classics, Henkei was Japanese and I don't see united included in the acronym so I don't see why henkei is)

12. iamste

iamste Well-Known Member

Patience is a virtue :/

13. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    If history is repeating itself... how did the first instance with the seekers work out? Hasbro eventually released different retail versions of all 3.

Windcharger, Frenzy, Rumble, etc. may be hard to find right now but have a learn some patience, don't get butt-hurt about imagined "screw-yous" from Hasbro and don't over react selling off the C+ collection.

Hasbro spent money on creating the Frenzy/Rumble mold with every intention of releasing both of them. They'll get to them eventually. I'm sure they realize the demand for Windcharger as well and he'll see wider release in some form eventually.

14. poisoncow

poisoncow Well-Known Member

I'd rather spend the extra 5$ a bot at this point and get this stuff online than not at all. BBTS had WJ/TC/WP for 45$ as a set. That's a 3$ markup on the figure (but I'm not paying tax on them so 1.5$) and with all the money you spend on gas $8 for shipping is a steal. Not everything works out this nice. but if you get on board early enough you pay about the same.

Only time I quite a line (sorta) was the Alternator's got everything (including con exclusives) up until Ravage/Rumble hit, never saw a one. Not Cool

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Stop right now and give them to me.

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Movie time can make it a real pain in the ass to be a Classics collector. Lines go on hiatus, retailers just want shelf after shelf of Skids, Mudflap and Sea Attack Ravage, and it can feel like with every thing else going on that Hasbro has forgotten about it's Classics fans.

Distribution has been insane but figures like Perceptor are out there in big enough numbers at some locations that you should be able to buy one off a board member for about cost or just hold out for a reasonable bid on e-Bay.

Sure things are kind of questionable on Rumble right now but I'm sure Hasbro will be bombarded with questions about the figure. With lots of fan interest shown Hasbro does find a way even if it seems to take forever.

Plus look at things on the bright side this is the last Micheal Bay Transformers movie so maybe it will be a while before we have to deal with movie toys taking over Transformers again. Given the blend of styles on Transformers Prime and the tiny cast I'm sure the Classics style can fit nicely beside those figures at retail.

17. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Considering that the last 4 years have been the Golden Age for Transfans, I really don't understand what the original poster is getting at.

I look at my shelf behind me, and I see, new, awesome editions of pretty much every 1985-1986 major Autobot and Decepticon, with the only exception being new-mold combiners and city-formers.

I also see some amazing NEW character molds that are among the best in the line, like Terradive.

I'm also seeing new molds of characters we'd never thought we'd see (again) (like Thunderwing, Samarai Bludgeon, and Straxxus. And they're all really good too.

And those characters we haven't gotten yet, they did tremendous homages to already, and I'm sure its just a matter of time (Energon Shockblast->Shockwave)

And did I mention some killer movie molds? Hasbro didn't have to Make RotF Prime or the absolutely immaculate Leader Starscream... and they did anyway.

What you're afraid of, OP, is missing the boat. There are three or so molds out there you desperately want, and you're afraid you won't get them because of the Movie. Well here, I'll use some common sense to assuage you.

How does Hasbro sell toys? All their Toys, not just transformers.

Product tentpoles. It can be a movie (Revenge of the Fallen, every Star Wars Prequel), a TV series (Clone Wars, Animated, GI Joe Renegades), or a Video Game (Force Unleashed, War for Cybertron, and yeaaars ago Shadows of the Empire). Occasionally it is neo-classic themes showing up around anniversaries (Star Wars and Transformers both had this) or major DVD releases (again both franchises). But you'll be hard pressed to find a Toy line they put out without one of these tent poles, even a minor one... even mid 2000s GI joe had a minor CG series and a comic book.

So what's Hasbro's next tent pole, after Dark of the Moon? What happens Summer 2012? War for Cybertron II.

And what line was War for Cybertron I part of? Generations.

And how deliberate has Hasbro been the last year with double dipping on molds from the outset? Let's see we have the Sunstreaker mold used 3 times with minor modifcations, The Prowl mold used three times. The Starscream mold used at least 8 times for mass retail alone. WFC and Classics Bumblebee used twice and five times respectively. Ironhide used twice, the smaller Classics Prime used about four times, Blurr used twice, Wheeljack used twice. And the power core combiners they double dip a lot too.

In short, here is the picture i"m painting: Hasbro isn't a wasteful company and they use ever mold they have often multuple times, the product line after DotM has to be Neoclassics/WFC/G1 pretty much by default as that is what the next major product release is, Hasbro knows it has several high demand molds that sync perfectly with the asthetic of neoclassic.

In short, no, you may not get the 3 scouts now, but the liklihood of missing the boat over the long term is next to nothing. I mean seriously, what is Hasbro going to do? NOT release a mold (Rumble) that can be used for two characters WITHOUT a remold, has been praised by fans and collectors for it's design, and has not seen release outside Japan? There's almost no chance of that.

18. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    right now, i am a little antsy about missing out on the new Warpath fig. I don't want to pay $40 for him on teh eVILBay, but i also don't want to wait so long and find out he was shortpacked like Skystalker, lol.

though, for most TFs i usually eventually get all the ones i want....eventually.

19. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Fixed that for ya.

Seriously though, everybody repeats the same old argument about the movie lines selling better because they have the movie to promote them, the characters are better known, yadda yadda yadda. What's to keep Hasbro from actually doing a cartoon/show in support of a line like Generations/RTS? Absolutely nothing. They just choose not to. Sure, it wouldn't be as mainstream as the movies, but it also wouldn't come anywhere near what the movies cost to produce, either...and if they actually got that show onto a decent network, they'd be reaping the benefits.

20. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just buy it online as soon as you see it. Paying an extra $10 for a figure is well worth your time and excessive frustration. Seriously. I used to know someone who refused to pay the "high prices" on line for figs he wanted, yet every weekend he drive all over Hell and Creation every weekend, waste a ton of gas and time, then bitch to no end about Hasbro and TRU and whatever else. I spent $50 (including shipping) and got a Warpath, Thundercracker and Wheeljack from BBTS and didn't go to any stores. I'm sorry if anyone disagrees, but hte older I get, the more my time and piece of mind is worth