Opinion on trade value

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fabexmax, Aug 28, 2010.

1. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I was hoping to get some feedback, and opinions on a trade that fell apart on me recently. So I was trying to get a PP-01 Faith leader from a member here. After a couple of weeks of back and forth, we talked today, and the deal he proposed to me was as follows.

He would trade me his: PP-01 Faith leader loose (values it at $120)

for my:
    Alternators Swerve (loose complete)
    Alternators Rumble (MISB)
    Binaltech Autorooper (MIB)
    Classics Prime (loose complete)

He attached prices as to what he thought was "fair" and current values of my figs as follows. $25 for Swerve, $45 for Rumble, $50 for Autorooper, and $25 for Prime.

So essentially it would have taken me ALL 4 of those HTF figs to get 1 Faith Leader. I realize, I would have been ahead, by $20, but I would have spent that on shipping. I personally thought that was a little off, and the trade was definetly in the other guys favor. He of course disagreed. Can I get some feedback from you guys on what you think about this. Thanks TFW'ers.

2. MMarker

MMarker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see him get a loose Classics Prime for $25 right now.

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I'm not the right person to ask, because I don't know how reasonable those prices are compared to what they're selling for else where.

But I always try to avoid traded disproportionate amounts of merch. If I'm traded two figures, then I want two figures in return.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I wouldn't do it. Classics Prime is worth more than 25 bucks. However, isn't igear doing another run? Why the rush?

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    So here is the real trade deal. I am not afraid to let people know it was me who offered this deal. I contacted the member after seeing his wants list. I told him I had an Igear Prime opened but complete. I told him I wanted $120 which is what I paid for it. He tries to trade me an item he paid way too much for. I politely told him what I thought it was worth. He stated he could not do that. I felt the deal was done. A few days later he contacts me again still wanting the item. I asked to see what he had to offer in trade. He had the following items. Classic Prime, Alt Rumble, Alt. Swerve, and Autorooper, that I was interested in. I TOLD HIM A STRAIGHT TRADE WOULD NOT BE FAIR. I did put those prices on those items as according to ebay and what I have seen them go for that is a fair price. Yes I can get a Classic Prime for $25 and yes I can get a loose Swerve for $25. I have done that and can do it again. So only because he really wanted it I told him I was interested in those items but that I could not come up with a fair trade. He is only telling half the story. I never said it was a fair deal. He stated he would write a thread and let the community decide. I did not see a problem with it but he did not tell the entire truth. The funny thing is when I sent him links to auctions where those items did indeed sell for that amount he did not want to see them.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  6. fabexmax

News Credits:
    Interesting. So not to turn this into a soap opera. I was only asking the community if the trade YOU proposed was a fair one. The back story changes nothing. YOu are setting all of the prices. And you never said te trade wasn't fair. I dont recall that, BUT even if you did, why throw out a trade that you KNOW isn't fair. If you had stated that, there would be no need to even ask the community their opinion. I know you are respected here on TFW, and hell i respect ya. I just know that the trade you proposed was not a fair one, and before I even posted here to get unbiased feedback on whether or not the TRADE was fair, you were like ok. Coming in and posting you are the party involved no longer makes it unbiased. Hmmm, interesting. Let your proposed trade speak for itself. Stand by what you thought was fair.

7. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    ALt Rumble is also low-balled

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    IMO there is no point in airing a trade in public. If the trade doesnt work for you, don't make the trade. If it is something you want really badly, you may have to buck up a little extra, if not, pay a bit less or search for a deal. If you don't like the deal, counter it, or search somewhere else.

9. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Alternator rumble
    Walmart Exclusive Transformers Alternator Rumble MISB - eBay (item 120608585839 end time Aug-20-10 07:53:14 PDT)
    Alternator Swerve
    Alternators: Swerve (no flame sticker) - eBay (item 330462330830 end time Aug-25-10 14:18:20 PDT)
    I do understand that auctions go up and down but why would I trade based on the highest price? AND AS I STATED BEFORE, I DID NOT THINK IT WAS A FAIR TRADE. I only stated what I was interested in, he quickly told me he bought one for $117 and that I was low balling him. It went no further. I was done until he decided to put this before the community and not tell everything.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    It's not a good trade IMO and I'll leave my opinion on the maker of the Faith leader out of this.

The OP was asking for an Opinion and thats what he is given nothing wrong with that.
    The full story from the OP would have been nice but i feel he has not done anything wrong.

Edit more info was provided but my opinion stands.

11. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I just read the rest of the thread...
    I'm staying out of this one...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, just buy this

2nd PP01 Faith Leader(Preorder)

The second reissue is coming next month.

EDIT: Sell the stuff you got on ebay. You should make enough to pay for it.

13. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Well, if you want to trade wouldnt you average out the prievous sales of the item. If Alt Rumble sold for 45$ and then he sells for 80$, and 85$ before that then $45 is kind of a low estimate. He is a 50-70 dollar range today-sealed. You cant base it on one auction or two. I seen him sell for $100 ,would I then in return try to trade him in that value......no that wouldnt be fair also.

14. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Some of those seem low - they average for more on ebay, usually. Also the Swerve example link is not complete ( no flame sticker ) so would sell less that a complete one.

15. fabexmax

News Credits:
    Was never my intention to start a flame war, or to air out anyone. That's why I only posted the MOST important facts of all. The proposed trade. I just wanted feedback from fellow boardies on whether or not it seemed like a good deal. Thanks to those who posted and gave unbiased opinions.

16. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Look, if you don't think it's a fair deal, then call it off and move on.

I can only speak for myself but I don't really enjoy coming on here and reading about you airing your dirty laundry in 'public'. This sort of thing should be kept to PMs IMO.

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

To answer the OP's question, I wouldn't go for it if Faith Leader is being re-released anyway and you have no real interest in getting rid of those figures. Or I would personally suggest maybe 2/4 of them because they are definitely worth more than that. When it's all said and done though, I'm kinda like Wollstone. I prefer 1:1 trades.

18. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I Agree!

19. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like to make a trade happen and sometimes they dont have 1 item that is equal value to the one they want from me. Multiple figures make the trade value fair in that case.

20. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Wow i really gotta agree that this should have been private whether we think that the prices on some figures were low balled or not.