Customs: Opinion on Ironhide and Ratchet

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Spoiler, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I have come across an idea to repaint a fig to make it either Ironhide or Ratchet

Now, I was going through the thought process of painting the movie ratchet white and red, than I realized that the Rescue Ratchet will be that way, so no need to waste time there.

But with the walmart restock of some of the alternators, I have questioned the idea of repainting alternator Skids, which is a Scion, to look like either Ironhide or Ratchet. Because the head would require little or no remodelling, I mean, anyone else agree that this maybe a good idea?

2. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    It's been done several times for both characters.

3. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    It's been done several times for both characters.

4. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do Ratchet! I would. (Of course)

5. blitzwingfan94

blitzwingfan94 Vikings are the bomb!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do Ratchet! I would. (Of course)

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's not what he's asking. He knows that. What he wants to know is wether he should do Ironhide or Ratchet.

I say do Ratchet. Ironhide gets too much love.;) 

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's not what he's asking. He knows that. What he wants to know is wether he should do Ironhide or Ratchet.

I say do Ratchet. Ironhide gets too much love.;) 

8. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Rachet, and use decals if you can. I've seen too many good kitbashes that end up looking funky because of painted symbols and letters. Of course, you may be awesome at that, but it's not an easy thing to do.

If you can find some nice, accurate ambulance decals it would really make Rachet look sharp, and give your kitbash a unique look to the other ones out there.

Or, if you are really ambitious, do an ambulance reshell.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Rachet, and use decals if you can. I've seen too many good kitbashes that end up looking funky because of painted symbols and letters. Of course, you may be awesome at that, but it's not an easy thing to do.

If you can find some nice, accurate ambulance decals it would really make Rachet look sharp, and give your kitbash a unique look to the other ones out there.

Or, if you are really ambitious, do an ambulance reshell.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I am almost tempted to do both, for a few reasons...1) aside the movie versions I don't own a Ratchet or Ironhide. 2)The G1 figures I have to say do tend to look horrible with no real head/face...and 3)I have no idea if they intend to even make a classics version of them...hell if they did a classics of 1 or the other, all that would need to be done is repaint one to look like either ratchet or ironhide. But, in all likeliness, it aint happening any time soon. I saw someone who did a Ratchet off of Hound. That looked cool as well. While movie versions are sweet, I just don't think that Ironhide would look good in red truck version...do you? At least the Rescue Ratchet doesn't look too bad.

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I am almost tempted to do both, for a few reasons...1) aside the movie versions I don't own a Ratchet or Ironhide. 2)The G1 figures I have to say do tend to look horrible with no real head/face...and 3)I have no idea if they intend to even make a classics version of them...hell if they did a classics of 1 or the other, all that would need to be done is repaint one to look like either ratchet or ironhide. But, in all likeliness, it aint happening any time soon. I saw someone who did a Ratchet off of Hound. That looked cool as well. While movie versions are sweet, I just don't think that Ironhide would look good in red truck version...do you? At least the Rescue Ratchet doesn't look too bad.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Even though I like Ratchet better as a character (my wife's a doctor, so I have a soft spot for medics) I'm gonna say Ironhide. Only because:

a) a Scion just doesn't work as an ambulance. It's too small, it could never be used to transport a patient. And unlike a 4WD vehicle (like say, the Jeep mold) you can't even really pass it off as a rescue vehicle. But Ironhide could pull it off.... sure it's small, but it looks like a tough little cannonball of a vehicle. (On second thought, I suppose even if it couldn't hold a patient, Ratchet could at least hold medical gear.)

b) the head would require no modification to work as Ironhide.... but you'd need to add a crest to make it work as Ratchet. Not a big deal, but sometimes those little details can make or break a kitbash.

c) white paint can be a real pain to work with, especially when you're trying to lay it over dark plastic. Red or maroon is a little more forgiving.

Anyhow, if none of those things sound like problems to you, by all means do Ratchet! He's a great character and deserves good figures, so if you can pull it off, mroe power to you! Good luck, and post the results when you're done! :) 

EDIT: Just saw your posts above. I believe it was stated at Botcon that Ironhide and Ratchet will likely make an appearance in Classics eventually (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Even though I like Ratchet better as a character (my wife's a doctor, so I have a soft spot for medics) I'm gonna say Ironhide. Only because:

a) a Scion just doesn't work as an ambulance. It's too small, it could never be used to transport a patient. And unlike a 4WD vehicle (like say, the Jeep mold) you can't even really pass it off as a rescue vehicle. But Ironhide could pull it off.... sure it's small, but it looks like a tough little cannonball of a vehicle. (On second thought, I suppose even if it couldn't hold a patient, Ratchet could at least hold medical gear.)

b) the head would require no modification to work as Ironhide.... but you'd need to add a crest to make it work as Ratchet. Not a big deal, but sometimes those little details can make or break a kitbash.

c) white paint can be a real pain to work with, especially when you're trying to lay it over dark plastic. Red or maroon is a little more forgiving.

Anyhow, if none of those things sound like problems to you, by all means do Ratchet! He's a great character and deserves good figures, so if you can pull it off, mroe power to you! Good luck, and post the results when you're done! :) 

EDIT: Just saw your posts above. I believe it was stated at Botcon that Ironhide and Ratchet will likely make an appearance in Classics eventually (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  15. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
  16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    A good white base primer resolves that.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    A good white base primer resolves that.

18. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

Man Go for it!!! I know both have been done- but everyone has a different opinion on how to do the kitbash. I would go with Ratchet ( i know i'm partial to Ratchet) I am still working on my alt/movie version of Ratchet. There are so many things that you can do with it! Keep up updated!!

19. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

Man Go for it!!! I know both have been done- but everyone has a different opinion on how to do the kitbash. I would go with Ratchet ( i know i'm partial to Ratchet) I am still working on my alt/movie version of Ratchet. There are so many things that you can do with it! Keep up updated!!

20. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Ironhide all the way man thats what I'd do