Customs: Opinion on custom movie Ratchet

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by icanfly, Oct 9, 2007.

1. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey

Ive recently upgraded rescue Ratchet to become alt Ratchet, but now I've got a left over "green" Ratchet. I was originally going to try convert him into First-Aid, but now I'm also considering Hotspot. Any idea who is a better fit? What head would suit?

Regards

JL

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    He's too small to be an alt. Sure, the bot mode matches up but the truck mode is severely out of scale.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    QTF.

. . . but 20th Prime fits this same bill too and many persons still display him (and/or other MPs with their Alts).

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would try Hot Spot. Blue will cover that green a bit better.

5. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    20th Prime isn't in scale with Alts? What scale is he?

6. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    20th Prime is.

At least to my naked eye.

I use Minimates as drivers for both, and they look extremely close...

7. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, he's pretty damn close imo, 1/25 at worst.

This is the first I'd ever heard that though, just wondered if it was right or not. Especially since I've been eyeballing a few 1/24 trailers to bash for him someday :) 

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Consider this: movie Ratchet might not be in scale as a Hummer H2 - but maybe as an H3?

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    M.A.S.K. is one of the best comparisons for scale, IMHO. The initial wave was made straight from 1:24 scale model kits; when compared to the Rhino, 20th Prime is dwarfed a bit more than one would think. Also, I've used some 1:28 trailers for my 20th Prime and they work pretty well (i.e. same wheel size); an Alt wheels and 20th Prime's wheels should not be the same size simply because of scale.

A monkeywrench in all of this is that 20th Prime is really in scale with himself only, in all actuality (or with MP-2 if one wants to be really technical about that comparison, though that sounds a tad silly to me *shrugs*).

Initially, I thought [hoped] Ratchet would be in scale with the Alts. However, I have two 1:24 Hummers; Ratchet is quite a bit smaller than they are.

Regardless of all of this though, the mold makes for some really cool customs :thumb 

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Dye or dirty your green Ratchet some, repaint him military, maybe mount a gun on top... make him Roadbuster. Or Brawn maybe. All red, he could be Ironhide or even Inferno (whose actual function is "Search and Rescue").

Or put a communications array on top, repaint him blue, and make him into a Soundwave?

As for fitting in with the Alts, he's not so bad. He's a bit smallish, like MP Prime... but why should that matter? We have tons of other TFs that aren't in perfect scale with each other... why can't our Alts be off just a little bit here and there if they look good together otherwise?

I use my gigantic Toyota Landcruiser Roadbot as Alt Grimlock, and he works pretty well. :) 

zmog

11. icanfly

Ebay:
    Well he is being displayed in robot mode primarily, so in that respect, scale is ok. I wasn't actually planning on a full repaint of it, but if I did, the inferno idea is an interesting one. Love that guy, but never thought the other alts would suit him. Thought the green might make a redo of Hotspot & was looking for ideas

Ta

JL

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    As for comparing to Rhino, keep in mind that cabovers are smaller than long nose tractors to begin with. Also, you can't go by wheel size on Prime. His wheels are out of scale with the rest of him. A truck his size should have larger wheels.

13. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

why not red alert since he is supposed to be a staff vechicle (even though in 14 years in the fire service I have yet to see a staff vechicle be a lambo). The redeco rescue ratchet with the ambulance on it isnt accurate either never have I seen a fire department or private EMS use a hummer as an ambulance. They have been used as rapid intervention vechicles some even equipped with a small water tank (approx 250 gallons) and a pump.

14. icanfly

Ebay:
    Red Alert isn't really an option, I've got the BTA version already. Actually I have all the official Alt/BTs and variants. Been looking up Roadbuster & he may be a cool option, but having a character that I have to look up cos I'm not familiar with them isnt really what Im looking for

JL

15. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

Frankfort Fire & EMS
    Hummer One

[​IMG]

Specifications:

Type of Unit: Airport Unit
    Unit Location: Frankfort, Kentucky
    Manufacturer: Danko
    Model: H3 Hummer
    Year Manufactured: 2006
    Engine: Darley diesel powered
    Chassis:
    Transmission:
    Pump: Single stage fire pump
    Tank Size: 200 gallon poly booster tank
    Aerial Size:
    Generator:

Duxbury Fire Department

[​IMG]

Specifications:

Type of Unit: Brush/Wildfire Truck
    Unit Location:
    Manufacturer: Hummer
    Model: 1996 American General Hummer
    Year Manufactured: 1996
    Engine:
    Chassis:
    Transmission:
    Pump:
    Tank Size:
    Aerial Size:
    Generator:

Duxbury Massachusetts uses this 1996 American General Hummer with a General Motors diesel engine and an Allison automatic transmission as their Rescue
    It carries 200 gallons of water in a poly tank, and has a fire pump with Class A foam capability. It also carries hose, a stokes basket, various rescue rope, EMS supplies, survival suits, an ice rescue sled, a 12' extension ladder, pike poles, a 6,000 pound capacity electric winch, and a portable generator for lighting.

This truck is designed with "run flat" tires so if one or more tire should become flat or otherwise damaged, it will not stop the truck from continuing its mission. It is also equipped with a (CTIS) Central Tire Inflation System. This is an on-board air compressor and valve system that allows the driver to raise or lower air pressure in the tires while moving so we can traverse difficult terrain such as beach sand, mud or snow. We might lower the tire pressure to travel through beach sand, mud, or snow, but once back on firm ground, we would inflate the tires to highway pressure while still underway. The truck is also capable of "fording" water up to about 42" deep.

Submitted by: Rob Reardon

16. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    What an unfortunate name... Hummer One. You know, I live ten minutes from that Airport and I've never seen that thing.

17. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ohh..... Hummer H1 my dream vehicle(because it ain't a "car").