Opinion on collecting movie mainline figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by nonexistent, Dec 4, 2011.

1. nonexistent

nonexistent Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have never collected movie mainline figures. Have only collected cyberverse/legends figures of the movie toys and displayed them on my desk, which is much less my only display area. I have completed most of those figures. I have recently moved into a new place and have a bigger study room which means extra space for collections. So i thought of starting a small collection of movie mainline figures with mainly deluxe figures and voyager figures and placing them on a long bench with each faction on each side. I have a rough idea on the figures to get but need some help or opinion as i believed most of you collect mainline toys. I also don't really want to get replicate figures of different sizes as starting this collection will blow a big hole in my wallet. I think i have to get most of them from ebay especially the earlier released figures. I spotted a single HFTD voyager prime in a toy store. Prime is one of the important figures to get and i would like a more movie accurate version one in bot mode.

I am thinking to go with

Autobots
    Optimus Prime (HFTD voyager)
    - i really like ROTF leader prime but i do not want him to be the oversized figure over some of the voyager decepticon figures that i am planning to get like long haul, mix master, blackout. So i opted for this voyager size which i read in reviews is the closest to the rotf leader version and more movie accurate. I am tempted to buy ultimate prime which i read was slightly bigger than a voyager, and has the trailer. But i don't really like the design especially his arms with the wheels and the thin slender legs. The dotm voyager design is not favourable for me as well. So what do you think? The rest of the autobot figures will be

ROTF deluxe ironhide - (skipped the voyager as i read that rotf deluxes are slightly bigger than the DOTM counterparts and will worked well with HFTD voyager prime and the DOTM deluxe car bots)
    DOTM deluxe ratchet
    DOTM bumblebee
    ROTF deluxe Jazz
    DOTM deluxe sideswipe
    ROTF/DOTM jolt
    DOTM skids and mudflap
    DOTM deluxe wreckers
    DOTM que (when released officially)
    DOTM voyager sentinel prime

Decepticons collection
    DOTM voyager megatron (I loved this figure and this figure is one of the reason I decide to stick with voyager class so he can be displayed next to prime)
    ROTF voyager megatron (which i read from reviews, the vehicle mode is much better than the leader class)
    ROTF voyager starscream
    DOTM voyager shockwave
    DOTM deluxe soundwave
    ROTF deluxe soundwave
    ROTF voyager the fallen
    DOTM deluxe barricade
    DOTM deluxe crankcase
    ROTF voyager longhaul/payload (spotted in store)
    ROTF voyager mixmaster (spotted in store)
    ROTF deluxe rampage (spotted in store)
    ROTF deluxe sideways
    Voyager Blackout/Grindor with scorponok
    movie Brawl and Bonecrusher deluxe or voyager preferably (not sure if there is voyager)

These are what i hoped to get but not sure if i can find most of them, probably got to get from ebay. Most of the DOTM deluxe figures are still available widely in stores. ROTF leader prime or jetwing prime is my wishlist but do not really want him to be bigger than most of the voyager sized decepticons plus there is no leader DOTM megatron and shockwave at the moment. So, any opinion or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am a new collector also and am doing something similar to what you are. I went with the ROTF Skids and Mudflap instead of DOTM for screen accuracy but pretty much am doing it the way you are.

3. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Agree.

Agree.

I suggest making a choice between these 2. Both are very good, but the ROTF's teal-green colour is kind of annoying and his altmode is certainly less 'Robots in disguise' than the DOTM version.

Fantastic mold, I still LOVE it despite the Leader and DLX versions. If you DO get voyager, get the DOTM voyager exclusive with the red translucent canopy.

Seeing the context of your collection history I would advise AGAINST getting Leader class SS. If you don't get the voyager, get both DLX DOTM Starscream & Thundercracker. They are amazing.

I wouldn't advise ROTF SW ; You'll be bored of him in no time with his ambiguous altmode.

I don't really like the Fallen so I won't support him.

Agree. Brawl & Bonecrusher DLX. No voyager versions of these guys.

4. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Most of your list looks pretty good.I only have two figures that I would change myself.

I would go with the Battle Blades Bumblebee over the DOTM Bumblebee.He is easily the best Deluxe Bee that they ever made.

I would also go with the ROTF Sideswipe over the DOTM version.Nothing against the DOTM one,but the paint is so much nicer on the ROTF version.A lot of people don't like the backpack on him,but it doesn't bother me at all.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The problem with '07 Deluxe Brawl is that he arms don't hold up properly in robot mode. I think the problem was corrected with Deep Desert Brawl but it doesn't have a movie-accurate deco.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I think most of your picks are good. Some great molds and decos in there. The only changes I'd recommend would be:

DOTM Bumblebee --> HFTD Battle Blades Bumblebee: BB Bee is, in my opinion, a slightly nicer, more accurate, and better-built mold (if you can tolerate the backwards axe). Of course he's more accurate to ROTF than DOTM, but with his window netting DOTM Bee isn't really fully accurate either.

DOTM Sideswipe --> ROTF Sideswipe (or if you can find it cheaply enough, the Takara version of Sidearm Sideswipe): silver paint makes all the difference for Sideswipe, and the ROTF versions are all nicely glittery compared to the drab, unpainted grey of the DOTM release. Plus, the DOTM release cheats, making the car nose Sideswipe's chest, when really his chest is formed from the rear of the car.

ROTF Deluxe Jazz: actually, I assume you're talking about '07 Jazz here, since the only ROTF Jazz was a Human Alliance figure (which is a great figure, but doesn't fit the scale you're setting up). '07 Jazz is fine... the Premium version has more paint and looks classier, but the original release's grey is actually a bit more screen-accurate. So you're fine either way.

I've read that '07 Barricade is nicer than the DOTM version, but as I don't have the DOTM version I can't say for sure. Anyone?

I would also echo Knoted's remark about picking up some deluxe DOTM Seekers. They are really fantastic... particularly Thundercracker, but all three look great as a trio. They were one of the highlights of the DOTM line to me.

7. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Just a warning the the deluxe Ironhide is not that much bigger than DOTM deluxes. He is a fairly small deluxe for HFTD and ROTF.

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    The problem is that HFDT Ironhide is too small even compared to DOTM DLX's. Also, the problem with BB:BB is that he's too big.

9. rodimusconvoy

rodimusconvoy Well-Known Member

In size he is. Maybe in vehicle mode also, but robot mode, DOTM wins here.

10. WhiteMocha

True, but honestly, you'll never get it perfect if your Optimus, Megatron, and Starscream are Voyager scale. Deluxe Ironhide works well with those figures, and is a great mold (probably the best Ironhide mold). And since the scale will be off anyway, might as well go with the best Bee available! :) 

11. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

While i think leader Ironhide is better the deluxe is a great figure.

12. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    BB Bumblebee is nice, but the DotM version is almost as good, and he is shorter, so he scales better with Voyager Prime.

Agreed.

That's true, but voyager Ironhide is too big. So either way, there are scale issues.

13. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I prefer the DOTM DLX, but to each his own.

14. WhiteMocha

Really? Huh, in that case maybe I should pick him up after all. I was kinda hoping to run across one of those Barricade/Nitro Bee 2-packs, since I don't own either but had a moderate interest in them. But so far I've seen no sign of them.

No worries, like you said, to each his own. DOTM Bumblebee is a nice figure, I'm still fond of it and think it is a very close second for "best deluxe Bee mold." Just comes down to personal preference.

15. nonexistent

Thanks guys for all your opinion and comments. Much appreciated.
    I don't know how to multi quote replies but thanks.

I guess that it is set then. It seems my mind is set to start this collection consisting of voyagers and deluxe figures. I went to the store after work again and glanced at the jetwing prime and ultimate prime but guess i will pass. I better start first and go get the lone HFTD voyager prime in my hobby shop before someone picked him up. He is the only figure among the abundant dotm voyager primes. And then will buy the voyager long haul/payload, mixmaster and deluxe rampage at one of the small local toy shop i came across. Will leave the DOTM figures last as i believed they will shelf warm awhile.

On deluxe ironhide, i will research more reviews on the dotm and rotf version and see which is better and which is slightly bigger.

On bumbleebee, many seems to encourage the battle blades version, which i saw looks cool too. I originally picked the dotm version because it is available in plenty on shelves and i watched a youtube review, you can fold the feet inwards and make him shorter. The guy compared it to deluxe dotm ratchet. That was why i chose to go for this figure, even though there are netting on his windows. Guess i will just buy dotm bb as i dont wanna spend much on ebay hunting the rotf and hftd figures.

Sideswipe- yes i will look up the rotf version with silver paint. I saw the dotm deluxe one and ya , the brown plastic is abit turnoff. And the way he transform with the front of the car as his chest. They did that with the cyberverse figure as well. I will look up ebay and see how much the rotf one is. I dont mind it not being a convertible.

DOTM voyager megatron is absolute must buy and will get him first and prime.
    ROTF voyager megs..ya the green colour is abit offset but will not be a necessity. Just thought i like to get a meg version in cybertronian form.

ROTF soundwave - will pass depends on ebay price
    ROTF voyager fallen - maybe pass totally

TFM jazz - must get. Is there a DOTM deluxe one? I thought i read somewhere there is but probably will be rare and exclusive.

Voyager starscream - i think i saw the repaint version which was packaged with a green voyager ratchet and a comic in target. But i dont see it now anywhere. I think i like the paint apps more after seeing it in youtube review. The dark silver and grey bits are much more movieverse compared to the rotf voyager brownish colour and excessive tatoo. Will see if i can get it. I guess i will pass on the dotm deluxe figure, i saw in reviews that it is fantastic but then again, it will be too small on comparison with the deluxe car bots. I will try to avoid that. This is just the same with my cyberverse starscream in my legends collection. He is small among them. That is just not right.

Anyway..thanks again for all your comments. Guess i have something to look forward to in the next few weeks- toy hunting and starting this new collection. Merry X'mas to all and happy holidays.

16. nonexistent

Finally bought him. Totally cool figure and no regret in choosing the voyager. Great mold, movie accurate than the other voyager versions. Swords available and guns which can be kept at the back when not in use and removable matrix. All there. +++ And now let the hunt begin for the rest. Well...guess i will now have reasons to go to the stores and pay a visit to the transformers aisles and start the collection. Something to look forward too during the holidays and yes more $$$$ will be spent :( 

Attached Files:

17. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

Reply is in text in red lettering

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My thoughts:

The Autobot scale is just gonna be wonky no matter what you do. Deluxe RotF Ironhide is probably the best for you, but it's just impossible to get a Deluxe-class Bumblebee or Sideswipe that doesn't tower over him! In that case DotM Bumblebee probably is best...I hate his silver face though. I got Nitro Bee as a shorter Bumblebee myself.

I think all of the Sideswipe toys are well worth getting. This is a personal preference thing IMO.

I don't know Jazz' mold. I do know that this is going to be the hardest for you to track down, especially if you want "Premium" or "Final Battle."

I don't own a Jolt, but IMO you'd want the version with the whips and the film accurate color. That's RotF.

As far as the Decepticons, I think they naturally fall into a smaller scale than the Autobots. The Deluxe Decepticon cars are always a little funny to use with Voyagers and Deluxes that are supposed to depict towering, monstrous characters, so you might substitute Legends/Legions. However most of the ones you mention are fine to excellent. I find that Voyager DotM Megatron, Voyager Long Haul, and Voyager Blackout work about as well as you can ask for scale-wise, and follow that with Deluxe Bonecrusher, Brawl, and Starscream (who is a much better mold than the Voyager Starscream IMHO, though I do like that Voyager).

I do have to say, though, that DotM Barricade is vastly better than TFTM Barricade. About all you lose is Frenzy, who was kind of silly anyway in the Deluxe incarnation.

19. rodimus62609

rodimus62609 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is my setup, (and future setup when if the figures are released)

Autobots:
    HFTD Voyager Optimus Prime
    DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee
    DOTM Deluxe Ratchet
    DOTM Voyager Ironhide
    Takara Sidearm Sideswipe
    ROTF Deluxe Jolt
    ROTF Deluxe Skids
    ROTF Deluxe Mudflap
    DOTM Voyager Sentinel Prime
    ROTF Legends Wheelie
    HA Chromia painted pink as Arcee
    HA Arcee painted blue as Chromia
    HA Chromia painted purple as Elita 1
    DOTM Deluxe Roadbuster
    DOTM Deluxe Topspin
    DOTM Deluxe Leadfoot (when released)
    DOTM Deluxe Wheeljack (when released)
    Deluxe Mirage (if made)
    TFTM Premium Jazz
    ROTF Leader Jetfire

For my Deceptions:

DOTM Voyager Megaton
    ROTF Voyager Starscream
    DOTM Voyager Shockwave
    DOTM Deluxe Soundwave (when released, for now ROTF version)
    TFTM Deluxe Brawl
    TFTM Deluxe Bonecrusher
    TFTM Voyager Blackout
    TFTM Deluxe Scorponok
    DOTM Deluxe Barricade
    HA Frenzy
    HFTD Legends Ravage
    HA Laserbeak (when released)
    ROTF Voyager Demolisher
    ROTF Voyager Long Haul
    ROTF Voyager Mixmaster
    ROTF Deluxe Rampage
    ROTF Voyager The Fallen
    DOTM Deluxe Crankcase
    DOTM Deluxe Crowbar (modded Crankcase)
    DOTM Deluxe Hatchet (modded Crankcase)
    ROTF Deluxe Sideways
    ROTF Voyager Grindor

I know many of those are hard to find and pricey. Just giving you ideas to choose from :)  you may not have the time or patience to paint or mod either, but its a good way to get characters that might not get made in a collection :)  goodluck!

20. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    I've bought a good number of these figures and I can tell you that a good majority of them have great engineering and movie-accuracy.

Here are my two cents:
    1.)HFTD Optimus Prime-He is a really great accurate and articulate figure who comes with a bunch of accessories for play value. However, I find him rather short when compared to my Movie 1 Voyager.
    2.)DOTM Voyager Sentinel Prime- He is rather lackluster without his sword and shield and suffers from a heavy backpack. Not a complete pass per se , but in retrospect, he was not money well-spent for me.
    3.)ROTF Voyager Megatron- He really is an awesome figure. However, his main drawbacks were 1.)too short compared to HFTD OP or any Voy. +up OP, 2.) He's got that green color, 3.) huge backpack, and 4.) his fusion cannon doesn't turn into his tank cannon(probably not a big deal for many, but it was for me)

Anyway, you found old ROTF figures in-store? I envy you so much.