Opinion: New episode shows how repetitive this show is.

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In this particular case, I was referring to your directly... opinion... singular. It would be pretty arrogant for anyone to think that there is only one opinion exists for every possible scenario. And it's evident by all the complaining that this opinion is shared. That does not give reason for it to be stated as fact any more than me stating that the show is perfect.

Totally besides the point. I don't think that Prime suffers from any of the issues some people are saying. It's a solid show that's telling it's own story. That the story does not match what a lot of our talented professional board member story-writers desire, does not make it poor, nor its writers weak. When compared to anything but Beast Wars, it's as good and strong as a Transformers TV show has ever been. Yes... opinion. But I don't pretend to speak for everyone with my statement.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It’s taken a while to get here, but I think that having shared a history where Megatron was a leader and friend that Optimus used to follow already makes their relationship more complex than any Prime\Megatron rivalry before it.
    The episode War Dawn touched on this concept, but really Orion Pax only admired Megatron because he could fly.

Are you serious?
    Personally, I loved Animated, but as an avid reader and contributor to these boards I can tell you that it was not universally loved –not even almost.
    It’s mostly reflected on positively by people now that it’s over, but when it was the contemporary show there were a lot of people who were quite vocal against the toys and the show.

I thought the Decepticons had been trying to do that, but couldn’t break the encryption until Megatron ‘recruited’ Orion Pax.
    That encryption remained unbroken for millennia! I’d love to see that algorithm.

In this episode I saw the following things:
    • Ratchet is revealed to be the ‘field medic’ who helped to revive Bumblebee.
    • Ratchet subtly states that he feels immense guilt that he was either unable to repair Bee’s voice box or he was outright responsible for Bee’s losing his voice.
    • Ratchet awkwardly expands on his friendship with Raphael and jokes about letting him ride with the sirens going.
    • And yet this kinder, awkward Ratchet still acts incredibly grumpy when Bumblebee got in the way of his work.

I saw great character development for Ratchet.

You saw that Ratchet is back to being ‘bridge-boy’.
    Did you not see him out on the field with Optimus at the beginning of this episode?
    Did he operate the bridge controls at all this episode?

Honestly, I think that you should invest in Autodesk 3ds Max and hire some voice actors because you seem to be happier with the show you have written in your head than the show we can actually watch.

3. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Well, the Autobots now have three Decepticons weapons, one of which is a Class-A soul-sucker. I hope we get to see them in action soon :D 

Personally, I'm hoping they'll be a plot point that involves Bumblebee and Megatron's minds going whack due to bad side-effects from that psychic patch. I'd love to see the awesomeness that could result from that scenario :D 

4. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Admittedly I don't read other TF boards. So I don't know which boards you were reading - but here, I can safely say the majority of regulars were crushed in finding out that it was ending. Hence the accusations to this day that the movies caused the cancellation. Sure, it wasn't popular in the beginning. But it actually did win over some very active detractors by the time it was done. Except Johnator :D 

You saw normal development. I'm talking more about him actually taking up the role as Commander of the Autobots - or at least fighting Arcee over it. Something much more than he currently is.

You're taking it too literally. The point is he's back to whatever role he was assigned to because Optimus is back.

Yes it's true, I do have an imagination god forbid :rolleyes2 

5. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prowl and Smasher are awesome^^^

Nighttrain- doing things like opinions is pedantic, and doesnt really add anything to the conversation. Like many in the HGC, you are trying to hard to be right and float your opinions about the show as some unassailable fact (oh. check that buried pun!).

I agree with everything Prowl said about Animated- my almost four year old loves the show, but i find it at times tiring and predictable (my opinion). The constant criticism leveled at Prime for 'reseting' each episode and the abundance of cybertronian McGuffins seems somewhat hollow and forced to me- as if people are missing out on enjoying the show because they are looking for something to criticize.

Animated relied heavily on the key Sari carried with her at ALL TIMES, nice having your own deus ex machina to use again and again and again and again...... and again. Personally- after the soundwave episode- i wondered why she wouldnt just jack up the autobots a couple times a day till they were "upgraded" into super soldiers... oh- and atleast in Prime the decepticons aren't hopeless, incompetent goons.

Im so happy we have a TF show that tries to take itself seriously. I grew watching G1, it and Heman were my favorite shows as a kid. TFP gives me something i can enjoy fully and watch with my kids. (my 7 year old thought operation bumblebee was awesome, for the record, that's her opinion

6. WoundSave

News Credits:
    for what its worth they mentioned their vault o' weapons in operation Bee. Pretty sure the writers havent forgotten about it.

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Ugh. Stop it. All I did was show how I thought he took both my statements as opinion. If you're going to take sides, then take sides on the topic.

Also, babbling about opinions being stated as facts and so on comes off really petty and bitter. If you have an actual argument to make - then make it. It's generally accepted that we all don't have to put "IMO" in front of every statement.

8. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I realized that too, but Unicron has a spark so I presume it's close enough.

9. WoundSave

News Credits:

pretty sure if you read the rest of my post i stated my opinions (or should i say made an argument?).

and yea- i find there is alot of "the show is bad and its not getting any better" going around- floated as a blanket statement rather than an opinion or speculation. Look at every saying Orion Pax pt 3 was buried and done and would have no further bearing on plot or character development - OP: Bee pt 1 definetly carried forward some consequences from Orion Pax, mentioned the mcGuffins in the vault, and continued to develop the Mech plotline (with the addition of Starscream into the mix), nice humorous moments that also serve character development and geeky fandom (Urbana 500), Ratchet got great characterization, bee emoted hardcore without ever talking, and the episode ended on a cliffjumper.

what more do people want from a kids show?

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Hmm…
    Sounds like a Prime example of another Transformers show that currently has some very vocal detractors.

Well my point is that I feel like you would not be satisfied with any episode because you have already written an entire story arc in your head.
    You acknowledge Ratchet’s character development, but detract it for being ‘normal’ and then plot out your own development for the character.
    That’s not being upset with the writers because they use the character in a ‘one-note’ capacity.
    That’s not being upset because the show breaks its continuity.

That’s claiming the show is not good because it didn’t follow your preconstructed story arc.

It’s good to have an imagination. Seriously. I hope you never lose it.
    Just don’t let it get in the way of your enjoying something.

I’m 40 years old and I still write stories in my head for Transformers and just about everything else I read, watch, or play.
    But I don’t get upset with the official fiction if it goes south from my nerd-fan fiction.

That’s what I keep telling everyone! :) 

I had forgotten about that.
    I certainly hope there’s a good story brewing that involves that vault.

Cliffhanger? :lol 
    Or maybe they were literally standing on Cliffjumper's remains and didn't realize it. I need to watch the episode again.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one thing that I notice is that when I watch any other Transformers show on DVD, my fiance gets her tablet and surfs the net. She looks forward to saturdays and pays attention to Prime. Not because it's geared towards a mass audience (like Bay's movies), but because the stories tend to be a bit more human, and the robots could be substituted for human beings and found in similar situations. Regardless of whether or not that falls perfectly into fan's Transformers Bible Cannon, or expectations about how characters should develop, the Transformers show has grown up, even if slightly.

Having watched almost the entire first season on Bluray this weekend, I felt it even more. It's happening probably slower than we're used to, but it is happening. These guys aren't writing for one season or two. They might be writing for more than that, and feel that they have 70 episodes to slowly work on these character. I appreciate that attention to slow-storytelling more than Bumblebee claiming again why he's the fastest and not learning his lesson, while frantically flailing like a typical anime.

And please understand that I say this with absolute love and adoration for Animated. I fucking loved that show. But I love Prime as well, for two very very different reasons. One of which is, My fiance actually cares about watching it with me, because, you know, it doesn't feel like a kid's cartoon, despite it being one.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I don't "hate" because it's the "in" thing. Hating isn't even what I'm doing. I enjoy the show, but that doesn't mean if something disappoints me that I won't say so and say why.

And the idea that someone can't criticize storytelling because they're not a writer on the show or don't do it as a profession is silly.

I personally love writing, and I approach a lot of storytelling with the mind of a writer. I don't claim to be an expert - I just have a deep love for it and studied it in school because of my passion for it. I write as a hobby, but I actually would love to pursue it as a profession. If that makes me a "wannabe writer" I'm proud of it.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That wasn't directed towards you. In the words of Rat Trap, it only affected you if I "touched a nerve".

I'm a writer as well, and I have had things published, though not in any capacity I'd call fancy-pants. But I still respect the work of other writers, and I'm sure I can think of my own ways of writing some of these episodes (like making Miko grow up), but it's not my job. It's someone else's.

Folks are just ripping on this show for elements that have been prevalent in other Transformers shows, and going so far as to criticizing the writing staff for Prime, while making suggestions that would not make the show any better. Not to mention, not understanding the restrictions placed on the writers.

It's fair to make honest criticisms, but some of it sounds like serious nitpicking, which leaves little venue for those who just want to talk about the show's story, where it's going, what do we anticipate. Instead, we spend pages defending it from someone who feels like they would do a better job. When in actuality... they wouldn't.

14. WoundSave

News Credits:
    Texas wins this thread!

seriously well-written point.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    And I hope it does turn out awesome. But it's going to be very difficult if they want to keep up the hyper incognito in a barren wasteland thing.

This falls apart with the simple fact that I supported the Orion Pax idea in the first place. I didn't pre-construct a damn thing. I'm just disheartened at the lost opportunities for a really interesting season. Now I don't really care unless they are serious about a Starscream's brigade. We'll see.

I do get a little upset when I get interested in an idea and it gets cut short. WWE does that to me a lot. Why is that such a big problem? I'm not even a very vocal critic of this show in general.

16. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is kind of how I feel. I absolutely love Prime and can't wait for Saturday nights. The episodes as individuals are amazing....most of the time. I've been watching all of season 1 on blu-ray for the past week. Like everything I love, I have a few criticisms towards it. For example, I love Animated. Its my favorite series thus far, but I fucking hate the human villains. The writers screwed that up. For Prime, I don't like that there really isn't much of a story arc and that many characters remain very undeveloped. I still love the series for what it is, but I'll always have criticisms for it as well. I'm comparing it to what I believe to be the perfect Transformers series because thats what I want it to be. Its almost impossible for that happen though, but I'll continue to analyze it in that manner

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope your right about the overall show plot development arc.

18. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Sam way that dozens of species of megafauna were left unknown and undiscovered until the 1900's, and even as recent at the 70's. The Earth's a big place.

Indeed, that would've been awesome. And it would've added a good couple of episodes to the Orion Pax arc.

19. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I find it's best not to get too wrapped around the axle about things in the show and just enjoy it.

20. Kazuul

Kazuul Active Member

To be honest I never found it that strange that all these things are on earth. Earth produces energon, it makes sense to me that cybertronians would stash junk here as a "break glass in case of emergency" kind of situation. It's also been stated that a war took place here a long time ago, so there's junk left behind from that aswell.