Opinion: New episode shows how repetitive this show is.

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Leather Elbows, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Anyone else think TFP is too repetitive. I mean ''the spark extracter''? Not only does it look just like the Key to Victor Sigma but it sounds alot like the Energon Harvester. My main complaint is how every episode involves them detecting something ancient that by amazing coincidence always end up on Earth.

2. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    Well, if you think a lil' bit about it it makes some sorta sense. It stands to reason that, the artifacts, when launched during the golden age, would target the nearest Cybertronian signal they could find (because there were no 'bots or 'cons back then, everyone was friendly). Whats the biggest fucking Cybertronian signal they could find? Fucking Unicron, that's what.

Anyway, thats how I keep it from annoying me. And I love the idea of a Spark Extractor. It kinda reminds me of Beast Machines.

3. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um. no.

weird that cybertronian artifacts look. like. cybertronian artifacts? Is it weird that Egyptian artifacts all kind of look like they come from ancient Egypt, and not feudal Japan? it's called culture. Just cause Knockout had a staff (of unknown function at this time) in his backseat that sort of looked like the freeze-ray staff in season one doesnt make it repetitive. What are they supposed to be? a little box (o wait the movies), an ax?

Spark extraction sounds a lot worse than energon harvesting.

This episode shows so much promise for season 2. This show is a good answer to at least two of the most common complaints on these boards about TFP so far:

-the Arcee/Jack screentime dominance. (they were complete supporting characters in this episode)

-the lack of consequence and continuity from one episode to the next (this episode made heavy reference to events from past episodes, developed Bee, Raf, and Ratchet nicely, and seeded plots for future episodes.

Probably not really an amazing coincidence considering Earth is made of Unicron. It would make a great deal of sense to send the weapons to Earth where they may one day be needed to fight Unicron. Or at least to a planet that is charted (and presumably going to be there for a while, since its made of Unicrom). If they wanted to get rid of these things- they would just destroy them, hiding them all on one planet makes it easier to recover them if you ever need to.

4. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Not this shit again.

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Didn't Optimus say that those Decepticon inventions were hidden in Iacon and subsequently launched into space when the Decepticons invaded?

Energon harvester [in theory] takes out the energon from a TF. Should the spark extractor work, maybe it imprisons the spark ala BM and it can be transferred into another body?

6. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How did you expect them to tie in the new discoveries Orion uncovered? Everything they've found prior to now have been weapons spirited away at the height of the war, so should we be surprised they're still finding things or that they would have something different?

Whatever they find is going to be something potentially dangerous to them or whatever it comes into contact with--it'll probably have something to do with Energon or Sparks too, as both are extremely important to their very existence.

EDIT:

Wasn't the Energon Harvester something from Cybertron's past--before the war. I thought it was said that the ancients hid it on earth, hiding it in plain sight, within or own mythology.

As it was something used before the war, I doubt it's purpose was intended for torture, as Starscream used it, but as a means to, well, extract Energon.

The Spark Extractor was made to kill. Why else would such a thing exist on Cybertron?

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

According to Megatron the Spark Extractor would take out the spark of all the Cybertronians within a certain radius. Which makes it kind of a bad weapon because how do you activate it without killing yourself in the process?

The Energon Harvester could only be misused on one robot at a time. So very different weapon than the Spark Extractor.

The show also makes it sound as if everything didn't end up on Earth. So perhaps only the things that were launched in our general direction ended up on Earth thank to some unknown influence of Unicorn being our planet's core.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Harvester isn't a weapon like the extractor. The extractor is made to kill people, it literally explodes their SOULS out of their bodies.

Harvester was a genuine energon collecting tool, it just could be mis-used, much like somebody murdering another human with a farming tool or a hammer.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That's not the point. The point is we're back to the same "I'VE DETECTED AN ANCIENT CYBERTRONIAN THING" filler from last season.

10. WoundSave

News Credits:
    yea well and then there is the whole mech plotline...

11. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

I hope they stop finding Cybertronian stuff on Earth so we can stop hearing the same whining all the damned time. Talk about repetative!

12. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

Plenty of people were worried that the events of "Orion Pax" (Optimus dealing with his short time allied with the Decepticons, discoveries of mysterious ancient weaponry) would not be referenced again, and now that those episodes' story points are already being further explored, it seems that some of those same people are complaining about these fights over ancient artifacts.

I realize that the basic plot point of constantly hunting after these things can be rather stale or even annoying, and those folks might not have liked Project Iacon for the "ancient weapon" angle, but I still find this kind of interesting.

13. optronix72

optronix72 Autobot

Ebay:
    I like these shows a lot i think finding there artifacts here makes for interesting stories.

14. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    ...Which will probably be resolved sometime in season 2, leaving us with no other storyline that might be interesting.

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Absolutely.

I agree with you too. I liked how this episode at least tied in the "I'VE DETECTED AN ANCIENT CYBERTRONIAN THING" to the previous three episodes. It made for the episode to be more enjoyable than last season when a Cybertronian artifact just showed up.

Now, here's the thing, are we ever going to see this Spark Extractor thing again? Or is just going to be another plot device?

16. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    If anything the project Iacon plot point explains why all this stuff is on Earth. You may now stop whining about why it's on Earth, they just told us in the last three episode.

As for how stale it is...I'm not seeing it. Things like this drive every single TF show in some fashion.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Which was a plotline in season 1 as well. As it's a fucking slow ass one, at that.

No it doesn't. Project Iacon merely tells us there's more, we still don't know why they're here.

Also an explanation doesn't absolve a stupid plot.

18. WoundSave

News Credits:
    which only proves that they are tying episodes together, rather than each episode standing on its own.

Was Mech supposed to build a prototype transformer overnight? Time passed, they've obviously been up to stuff.

19. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    But when is it going to become more than just a plot device for individual episodes? It was great seeing the Project Iacon tied into the discovery of the artifacts, but will it continue?

20. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Who knows. We just have to wait and see whether they come up again. There's at least 22 episodes left so they might.