Opinion needed: Premium Ironhide vs. Recon Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Sep 27, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I am looking to get one movie Ironhide to fill the cast... and I am unsure which one to get, if anyone has recommendations as well as why they recommend one over the other, please let me know, and thanks.

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think Recon is the better figure, but the Premium paint app is a lot nicer. I'd say Premium if you're going to keep him in alt mode more and Recon if you're going to keep him in bot mode more. In bot mode the stripes don't stick out.

3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you saved me a boat load of typing...
    this :) 

4. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree 100%. I have them both. If you're displaying in alt mode, Premium is impossible to beat. He's the perfect version of movie Ironhide. Get yourself a big, mirrored autobot logo from reprolabels and slap it on his hood, and he's a sight to behold.

Recon is really great in bot mode because of his weapons. He packs a lot of play value.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

If you don't mind the lightning deco, get the Recon version. I don't collect movie figures anymore, but I think that's the best voyager Ironhide we've gotten (I owned one briefly because I only cared for the guns). And if you do mind the lightning deco, you can easily strip it off with 90% isopropyl rubbing alcohol.

6. Charsiupao

Charsiupao Well-Known Member

You can also use nail polish remover or something to wipe off Recon Ironhide's silver streaks.

7. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    hm... I never thought about this.

I mostly display them in bot mode, so I am leaning towards recon. The only thing that got me considering Premium was the paint apps and the huge guns, which Recon does not have.

Is the only thing that premium "one up" recon, the paint apps?

8. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

One other advantage to the Premium is that Recon Ironhide has an opaque front windshield that is painted blue, while the non-Recon versions have a transparent windshield. On the other hand, the premium version is probably more expensive (especially considering that some places are clearancing ROTF figures) and harder to find.

If you're not crazy about the Recon version's stripes, then you may want to consider the blue version in the 2-pack with Bonecrusher. If not, it's certainly possible there will be additional repaints in the HFTD or Movie3 lines.

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    that's true, there is always a TF3 version of everything. I never thought about removing the lightning stripes, so maybe I will buy a recon and remove that and see how it looks. I am looking to display him with the HA figures since it seems like he won't get HA treatment.

edit:: btw, thanks for everyone who replied, this is very informative!

10. pactron

pactron Well-Known Member

i read someon's comment on amazon telling that this recon version's plastic is thinner than the other version. anyone agree? so is it a brittle toy that could easily break during transforming?

11. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've had no problems with my Recon Ironhide. The plastic really isn't that brittle.
    I also echo what everybody else says. Recon looks great in his alt mode because it hides the stripes and show's off his awesome weapons.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's completely made up. If anything the new panels for Recon Ironhide are stronger because they're thicker.

If I had to pick between the two, go Recon. However the Deluxe is that best version of the character.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I had the same decision to make a while back,and I went with Recon Ironhide.Very cool figure.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I'm all about the on-screen accuracy, so although I do have both the Premium and Recon versions, it'll be the Premium that ends up on my shelf with the rest of the Autobot cast.

15. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I love Recon Ironhide.

He's so loaded with awesome weapons that could easily take down a whole fort of Decepticreeps! :rock 

The only complaint: He gotta lose those ugly "stripes!" :puke2: 

The paint job on Premium's the best for all Movie Ironhide molds up to date. (I think everybody agrees on that)

I'm surprised that the Makers didn't come out with a "Premium" Recon Ironhide to milk the sh*t outta us all...

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Recon! The changes to his shoulders and back kibble are actually nice and easier to work with. All of the guns! He has lots of weapons and 4 of his 6 weapons are 3mm clips which i have fallen in love with those clips.

17. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buying Recon Ironhide will save you a lot of money.

18. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If the Recon were more brittle, than something would've snapped off when I was trying to transform it since that damn hip connection befuddled me 2+ years after picking up the Premium....and nothing broke off, so like the others have said, nothing to worry about with Recon regarding fragility.

I have the Premium, Recon, and "Offroad" blue Recon repaint from the two-pack...and love all three, hip connection be damned. If I displayed my movie stuff together (I've been trying to do it by character), I'd put my Premium in the lineup but I have more fun with the Recon thanks to all of the weapons. The stripes aren't really a big deal for me, and are even less noticeable in 'bot mode anyways. I want to try picking up the blue Offroad repaint from the first movie line sometime in the future too.